Letters from the DROA?

Hi,

Has anyone ever received a letter from the Domain Registry of America trying to get you to change to them?

I got one in the mail this morning. I personally dont think that is the way to try and get customers and there prices are extortinate also.

Has anyone else received one of these or believe it to be a unusual way of trying to get customers.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-David View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone ever received a letter from the Domain Registry of America trying to get you to change to them?

I got one in the mail this morning. I personally dont think that is the way to try and get customers and there prices are extortinate also.

Has anyone else received one of these or believe it to be a unusual way of trying to get customers.
    This is a known act. We suffer from the same plague here in Canada, except they call themselves the Domain Registry of Canada. They are a real company, but their actions are very shady and yes, their prices border on extortion.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Send it back in the return envelope with no postage or maybe with some of your other junk mail.

Dont worry Ive torn it up and sent it back in the envelope, Whats 12P to proove a point.

Dont worry Ive torn it up and sent it back in the envelope, Whats 12P to proove a point.
    a waste of money probably

DROA are scumbags. Avoid them at all costs.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Hi,

All of my clients over the past few years have gotten that trash. Since I placed my company privacy address on my client's domain all that junk mail come to me and I trash it....

One stupid client got it and was about to mail it back until their son said "maybe you should ask your webmaster first"....
    The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

The thing is, the the common folk it appears like a good offer. The Domain Registry of America sounds like an important company.

BTW, I just got one in the mail for a domain I've had for a couple years.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

They call it domain slamming.

easydns has a good article on it.

http://support.easydns.com/domain.slammers/index.php

I receive a few too many of these from their Canadian counterpart. Great idea about sending junk back to them. Looks like the next one I get will be filled with confetti and returned to them! Prepaid envelopes FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-AEC View Post
    They call it domain slamming.

easydns has a good article on it.

http://support.easydns.com/domain.slammers/index.php

I receive a few too many of these from their Canadian counterpart. Great idea about sending junk back to them. Looks like the next one I get will be filled with confetti and returned to them! Prepaid envelopes FTW!
    Or better yet, send them advertisements offering your services in their envelopes.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Or better yet, send them advertisements offering your services in their envelopes.
    I may still have mine. If so, guess who is going to get all the Rogers junk mail I've received the last few months? hehe (I'm Canadian BTW).
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

What id like to know is how they got my address for the domain name as it was WHOIS protected for this paticular address thats not remotely related to my company domain which isnt covered.

Ive gotten letters for almost all of my domains.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I got more then 50 in one month and I complained to my post office. They've since stopped delivering them.

I consider it borderline fraud because they are representing themselves as your current company by offering a "renewal" service. I have had clients who fell for it and were mad.

We get them in Australia too. Try contacting them inline with their privacy policy to remove you from their list and they are extremly rude about it.
    www.costlessnames.com - Get your domain names for less!
    www.costlessreseller.com - The hottest low cost reseller program!