Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Question About Local Advertising

Hello,

I have a web hosting company that i would like to advertise local, can any one give me good suggestions on how i can advertise my business locally ? Btw i live in NY. Thanks!

I would say going door to door advertising your services or advertising at local events, yellowpages, newspapers etc.

I was recently reading a review and it stated newspaper ads is not really a good way for advertising...

Newspaper, magazines, Radio Internet Cafe
    Romio Abboud

do you think advertising on NY times is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by hostlyon View Post
    do you think advertising on NY times is a good idea?
    No. If you have the money needed for even a sliver of a page in a good section of the times, it would be much better suited elsewhere.

Newspaper/magazine advertising takes continuous ads for long periods of time to see any true results.

Try sending a press release to your local paper announcing a free event, something like "How to Get Your Small Business on the Web" at a free or cheap local venue. Your public library might have a room you could use.

At the event, give free advice on what's involved. And also make available signup forms.

Hello,

I have a web hosting company that i would like to advertise local, can any one give me good suggestions on how i can advertise my business locally ? Btw i live in NY. Thanks!
    What is your budget? Our businesses recently picked up season tickets for the local junior hockey team in our City. Although the crowd isn't our target market I've always wanted to start into webhosting again just to target them. My honest guess is that 60%+ are small business owners in the area with Seasons tickets just like us.

My point? Maybe contact some local arenas and/or other sporting facilities about a possible handout, screen advertisement, etc. I really think you'd do well with a planned campaign like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    What is your budget? Our businesses recently picked up season tickets for the local junior hockey team in our City. Although the crowd isn't our target market I've always wanted to start into webhosting again just to target them. My honest guess is that 60%+ are small business owners in the area with Seasons tickets just like us.

My point? Maybe contact some local arenas and/or other sporting facilities about a possible handout, screen advertisement, etc. I really think you'd do well with a planned campaign like that.

My budget for now is $6,000, what you said is actually a very good idea... I'm going to consider trying that... have you tried doing that your self?

My budget for now is $6,000, what you said is actually a very good idea... I'm going to consider trying that... have you tried doing that your self?
    I would honestly give it a go if we were targetting businesses with our product but we're not. Maybe in the future but not at the moment.

Like I said, the fact that majority of ticket holders are small business owners makes the idea seem like it could really work. And just think, if the owners don't goto the game, odds are another small business owner will get the tickets!

Maybe even contact the arena about a handout to everyone leaving the Arena. We see that almost every other game at our Arena.

Good luck to you!

I also think newspapers and even trying to get a local newspaper to do an interview with your company.

I wouldn't put an ad in the local newspaper. If someone were actually looking for web hosting they would look online instead of the newspapers . I would just spend that money on advertisements on google or something else.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hosting Team View Post
    Try sending a press release to your local paper announcing a free event, something like "How to Get Your Small Business on the Web" at a free or cheap local venue. Your public library might have a room you could use.

At the event, give free advice on what's involved. And also make available signup forms.
    Excellent advice. I have been a big fan of this approach for a long time.

Another possibility is TV. In our city, we have a TV Guide channel where the left half of the screen is the TV listings, and the right side displays 30 second commercials. Cost in our city is $600 per week. This gives you 2 spots per hour, 24/7. A very cheap rate given what regular TV spots sell for.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post

Another possibility is TV. In our city, we have a TV Guide channel where the left half of the screen is the TV listings, and the right side displays 30 second commercials. Cost in our city is $600 per week. This gives you 2 spots per hour, 24/7. A very cheap rate given what regular TV spots sell for.

Vito
    I'm going to try putting it on the t.v, I guess I will try different campaigns and track the results of each campaign including newspapers, t.v, flyer's, set up classes and go door to door, just see how everything goes!Thanks for the great advice

Vito
    Rogers channel 5?

Quote Originally Posted by aingaran View Post
    Rogers channel 5?
    For Brampton, yes.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

For Brampton, yes.

Vito
    Nice channel spot.

Here, Rogers has the TV Guide channel hidden on channel 68 if I'm not mistaken

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by aingaran View Post
    Rogers channel 5?
    rogers channel 5? What about the t.v guide channel 51???

It's on different channels, depending on where you live. In my area, it is on channel 5.

Vito

yes but will it target it a business audience, because my hosting services are mainly for business's thanks!

yes but will it target it a business audience, because my hosting services are mainly for business's thanks!
    Obviously I won't argue someone like Vito when they give advice but I can't recall the last time I used the TV Guide channel.

When I look at the ads on that channel, there are ads for real estate, sun tanning, weight loss, home security, insurance, dog food, computer sales, Sears, and so on. It appears they target mostly consumers rather than businesses. Having said that, while it does not directly cater to businesses, I'm sure there must be some peripheral overlap - some consumers own businesses.

I looked up the quote again and I should correct what I said earlier. $595 per week, based on ONE (not two) ads per hour around the clock. This works out to $3.54 per spot. In Brampton/Mississauga, the target audience is 450,000 people. All in all, it's a pretty decent rate.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a worthwhile possibility. I believe you need to commit to minimum 5 weeks, plus the cost of the production of the commercial, although they can help in the production. I have studio access with my own talents, so I would produce my own commercial if I ever decided to try it.

What strikes me is the longevity of many of the ads. So many of the advertisers seem to repeat their campaigns over and over over YEARS. Which tells me it works for them.

If you ever decide to go this route, I would suggest that you try asking for ad placement at 55 minutes to the top of the hour. So for instance, 2:57, 5:58, etc. I would think this would give you much more exposure. However, my sales rep said that in my area, they can't control ad placement, as it is randomly displayed. However, I know that in the Maritimes, you can pay a premium to display at strategic times on the hour.

Vito

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    Obviously I won't argue someone like Vito when they give advice but I can't recall the last time I used the TV Guide channel.
    Haha, feel free to argue. I have been known to be wrong in my life once or ....a thousand times...

In my family room, I have a cable package so I use the Rogers menu for seeing what is up next. However, in my bedroom, I only have basic cable, and I use that TV channel LOTS.

Vito

Haha, feel free to argue. I have been known to be wrong in my life once or ....a thousand times...

In my family room, I have a cable package so I use the Rogers menu for seeing what is up next. However, in my bedroom, I only have basic cable, and I use that TV channel LOTS.
    Same here. I use that channel all the time. I think it's a great resource.

-Pete
    Peter Andrew-Rodrigorusen
    Customer Service with TacidBlue
    www.tacidblue.com
    It's Unlimited and It's For You!

Try direct mail or cold calling but don't just carpet bomb all your local businesses. Draw up a targeted list of specific businesses that could really benefit from your services. That in itself already reduces the effort needed to convert a lead. For example, find businesses that don't currently have a website and would benefit from having one.

Many local businesses typically just have a brochure site that sits there and they pay month after month. A lot of incumbent local hosts can typically be undercut price-wise while still maintaining very healthy margins for yourself. With the local market, you may want to offer services like design as many aren't that familiar with "web hosting" - they just want a website.

Some don't like cold-calling but when you have something really compelling to offer and if you can express very succinctly how your services can benefit and provide value to the client, they'd be much more receptive. Don't beat around the bush and be too "salesman" like - speak comfortably and earnestly explain how your services can help them. The more specific you can get with regards to the client's business, the better.

Direct mail campaigns in particular need to be highly targeted and repeated to pull in leads. Studies have shown repetition matters and many times direct mail recipients don't take action until the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th piece they receive. Sometimes they may not need your service now, but in the future when they do, they may remember you. Of course you want to space it out and not send them 4 pieces of direct mail advertising in 2 weeks. That would just be annoying.

Even just a postcard could do, it's great if you can summarize your key value propositions in the confined space of a postcard. It's short and simple and doesn't require the prospect to read through a letter. You might also want to include a URL to a custom landing page or make some kind of special offer. It's important to include a call to action and provide incentives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast