Question Is Web.com a good host?

Hi Everyone, I was wondering what you all think of web.com hosting.

Thanks,

Corster

Finding reviews on a company with that name could be a tougher than average job. Normally I'm not a huge fan of ratings sites, but given the circumstances, they can surely be better than nothing:

http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/web.com
    http://www.hostsearch.com/review/webcom_review.asp

The company used to be called Interland, and this could help you locate older reviews of theirs. How relevant they would be for the company as it stands today, is anyone's guess.

A client of ours is using web.com. We are helping to admin, their control panel can be headache at times. Pales with Cpanel.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Hi Corster,

I wouldn't recommend Web.com to anyone who enjoys a decent, well thought out administrative control interface or support area. Servers are fast enough, uptime is very good, however.

Here's the long story...

I had a client which had a shared account at Web.com for 2 years. The client established the account with Interland.

Their support/control/administrative/email panels (all different) are all a mess and a pain to use.

I did call support a couple times and was routed to a call center somewhere near India (I suspect). Support was friendly and "eventually" helpful, but I wouldn't say they were especially knowledgeable. They seemed to be reading a script.

Web.com has acquired quite a number of other hosts and their knowledgebase contains help documents for all. Unfortunately, you have to sift through ALL the other documents for ALL the other hosts in order to find what you're looking for...if you ever find it. What I found is if you search support for "email", for instance, you'll get a gazillion hits for documents applicable to all those other hosts...not very intuitive nor helpful.

I will say that the website -- some light PHP/MySQL - ran well and uptime was seemingly excellent. I had the site monitored every 5 minutes with Host Tracker and experienced 100% uptime (701 days). Though I don't put a whole lot of faith in the accuracy of this, it is a somewhat decent indicator.

Anyway, I hope this helped. Good luck finding a host.

Rich

Ok Thanks Everyone!

Does anyone know which control panel they use or is it custom?

Also do you guys have any recommendations for other host? I am still highly considering web.com but I want to keep my options open.

Thanks,

Corster

Web.com's control panels all seem custom...and clunky.

For shared hosts, I've had a few clients at CrystalTech.com (Windows) for years and years. NEVER have I had a problem. EXCELLENT control panel (custom). EXCELLENT forums, too.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by KMG-Rich View Post

For shared hosts, I've had a few clients at CrystalTech.com (Windows) for years and years. NEVER have I had a problem. EXCELLENT control panel (custom). EXCELLENT forums, too.

Rich
    Ok Thanks for the reply.

Hey Thanks Rich for sharing your experience with CrystalTech.

Corster, if you have any questions about CrystalTech's services I would be more then happy to provide you with any needed information.
    Ryan Bishop
    Server Operations and Tech Support
    Newtek Web Hosting
    webservices.thesba.com

What specifications do you require in your hosting account? Based on spec's there are several options of companies to use.
    Jason Jersey, C.E.O.
    Optic Burst Communications Group, Inc.
    Cloud Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by KMG-Rich View Post

Rich
    I have used CrystalTech in the past for ASP hosting and then for .NET hosting. Their control panel is custom, but is very detailed/good.

I did not use their forums... Phone support was good as well anytime I had an issue.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/