Thumbs down Namecheap - Shoddy service? Thieves?

I recently tried to order a domain name from Namecheap.

And right now, they have my money and I have no domain. How does that work?

It all started when I encountered an error during registration, the namecheap cart told me that the domain I'm trying to register was banned from the system.

So I contacted their support.

Then I was told, the only way to register this domain was me requiring to add the balance to my account, then contact them via ticket again with my account details. What a pain, but I thought, OK and went ahead and did exactly this.

Now it's the next day, and I see my previous balance disappeared back down to zero. So I thought, "nice - domain is here", only to find out that the new domain was not registered. So where the heck has my money gone?

I just asked the name cheap online support, who told me - "I am sorry, but what seems to be the problem?"

And I quit the support chat because I simply don't have time to chase up issues like this.

But where the heck is my money Namecheap? Sorry but something is fishy about them. I now much prefer Godaddy who will never have such a dodgy registration system in place anyway.

Namecheap can't even afford time into putting their logo into their kayako licensed supportdesk.

Even if they do finally register the domain for me, (probably in weeks) it is totally unacceptable to take money off my balance without doing so? And I did not get a single email notification that money was taken off my balance.

I do not recommend Namecheap.
    My education is finally over at 28... But now I am looking for a full time job and tru lurrv...
    Have you found the WHT rules & guidelines? Took me 4 years!

Sorry to hear that but so far never had any problems with Namecheap.

Show them your payment/registration receipt.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Yes me neither, I have currently 6 domains with them.

The fact is with any domain service, you start to see the quality of their service once you need their support. Godaddy for one never has weird processing practices and they are at least prompt with the responses too. Namecheap really is just cheap.
    My education is finally over at 28... But now I am looking for a full time job and tru lurrv...

Hello Jamie,

We ban certain terms or strings that are frequently used in domains that registered for phishing scams or other forms of fraud(for example any domain containing the term "paypal" is banned). I am not saying your domain falls into this category, something in it probably matched a string that we had banned and that is why we asked you if you would like us to register it manually for you.

Also, regarding our live chat. It is clearly stated here: https://support.namecheap.com/livesupport.php (just before you actually access it) that live chat support reps cannot help with billing issues. FYI our logo is also clearly included there and throughout the help desk.

Now regarding your accusations that we are thieves, do you really think that we would stake our entire reputation and alienate our hundreds of thousands of clients for your $9.29? Why not allow our support to process this before you make such harmful accusations?

Your domain was affected by a very rare occurence in our system and for that I sincerely do apologize. I will investigate your issue and see what the hold up is and report back here.
    Last edited by enetwork; 03-27-2008 at 05:46 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Ok Richard,

Maybe I was unpleasant in some ways but the primary purpose was see if anybody had a similar situation of "registering a domain through a support ticket", which I think is totally strange.

And still I do not approve of funding being taken out of my account without the domain being registered at the same time. (Which I received no notification of) And I serious mean it, Godaddy would never implement such a procedure.

As I mentioned earlier, domain registrations affected by this are very rare and it is only done to prevent fraud. Unfortunately, it does sometimes affect honest clients like yourself but I hope you understand the reasoning behind it.

Our normal procedure in this situation is to register the domain manually, then add it to your account and then remove the funds. I see the domain was registered and funds removed but it was not added to your account. I went ahead and took care of this and it should be showing properly in your account.

Just to keep things in perspective, your last complaint was received at 1am PST and it is now 3am PST. I'd also like to add that as this was manual transaction, it is also more prone to human error and that is what was the case here. Either way, I do sincerely apologize for this unfortunate experience and the inconvenience it caused you. I hope we can do better for you next time. If, there is in fact a next time.
    Last edited by enetwork; 03-27-2008 at 06:15 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Ok. Thanks for resolving the issue, and promptly too.

i have been with NameCheap.com for 2-3 years now, never had any issues

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    And I serious mean it, Godaddy would never implement such a procedure.
    I have to admit.. this made me laugh a little. And then I shook my head in sorry and agony that there is at least one person who actually thinks godaddy has the customer's best interest at heart.

lol.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I have to admit.. this made me laugh a little. And then I shook my head in sorry and agony that there is at least one person who actually thinks godaddy has the customer's best interest at heart.

lol.
    No... You don't really have a clue what you are talking about.

"godaddy has the customer's best interest at heart."

and

"godaddy would never implement such a procedure."

are completely different things. Zippy please.

I joined namecheap recently - is it best to keep all your domains with one provider - some other people had really good offers on .co.uk domains, but I stuck with namecheap thinking it may be worth paying a little more for it to be more straightforward

Good move or didn't it matter??

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    This doesn't apply only to GD. Just look at any registrar's ToS. They're all money grabbing b..... However, I believe both NameCheap and GoDaddy honestly try to serve all their customers in a smooth and timely manner. It's only when things go wrong, and you need support that you see what metal they are made of. Fixing this problem in the wee hours of the morning in 2 hours, is superb support, imho. And doesn't justify the kind of accusations made by the OP.
    Signature Under Construction.

I have to add a hello to Richard & Jerry

I have registered over 200 domains with NameCheap since 2001 and never had a problem they did not address right away.

They built a great business and that is not by mistake
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

They are quick to resolve problems. I had a problem recently (which shouldn't have occurred) but it was resolved quickly.

Quite the harsh word. No, they are not thieves. NameCheap actually is one of the best registrars around, and I've had many pleasing experiences with them. Just, once every while, there is a processing error, verification issue, and minor stuff.

Hope your problem has been resolved.

Namecheap boys are the king of honesty man. I was a Godaddy customer and I just didn't feel at home there. Godaddy tries to suck every penny out of you and with a passion. I felt too commercial over there and was always afraid to receive a "your domain has been canceled because some moron sent us a spoofed email complaining" email. I moved all my domains to Namecheap.

I trust namecheap with the house, the cars and the dogs. Oh and the wife too...
    Eat That Frog!

I've over 200 domains with them , Didn't got any problem yet , the time you registered domain they must be updating their system..

Call your credit card company and dispute the charges. If the domain is still available buy thru a different registrar.

The longer you wait you increase the chances of losing your domain name.

Quote Originally Posted by como1 View Post
    Call your credit card company and dispute the charges. If the domain is still available buy thru a different registrar.
    If you would read the entire thread you would see that the issue has now been resolved to the customers satisfaction. Chargebacks are not the answer to everything.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    No... You don't really have a clue what you are talking about.

"godaddy has the customer's best interest at heart."

and

"godaddy would never implement such a procedure."

are completely different things. Zippy please.
    I do
    Godaddy is a registrar that would hold your names upsell services and other domains that you dont need
    Not offer adequate support for fraud cases
    there tos and interpretation of icann rules borderlines on sadistic.
    the only true domainer freindly registrar's are namecheap a reseller unless theyv changed that and moniker .
    just mytwo cents

Just use GoDaddy

mdrussel: I didn't notice the resultion post. impressive response.