When would you get a reseller account?

If you have one or two clients, would you bother with a reseller account? Or just stick with a shared hosting for each of the clients.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

I would personally use a reseller account if that was my situation. I think using a reseller account gives you more control of your client accounts.

If you have few clients when you can use a shared hosting that allow to host multiple domains. If you are a web designer or want to sell hostings and increase your clients when you can move to reseller hosting.
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

Reseller accounts gives you more control and your clients better access. If you can justify the small outlay I would definetly grab a reseller.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

If I would expect getting more of them, yes, I would think that a reseller account is the way to go.

If not, and the customers require control panel access, then individual shared hosting accounts or a reseller account would be equally valid as solutions. I'd probably go for reseller account though, provided that the price differential would not be too great (depends on what the customers are paying too). If the customers won't require control panel access, and costs would be an issue, a single shared hosting account that I would use to manage the sires, would be the preferred solution.

Other requirements could easily make things more complicated than this.

A reseller account is definitely the way to go, especially if you have clients. If they were your own personal sites or friends, then it wouldn't matter as much. Do it now before you grow as things are easier when you have less clients.
    LaneHost.com | Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    Affordable Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers at Great Prices!
    Follow us on Twitter!

I would get a reseller account. You could manage users on a shared account but it would be a big security threat. Everyone would have to share the same control panel account which could jeopardize the security of the whole account when one person decides to backstab everyone and delete all the files or worse.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

i guess the whole idea of having more flexability would suite my taste.

Everyone would have to share the same control panel account which could jeopardize the security of the whole account when one person decides to backstab everyone and delete all the files or worse.
    Sharing the account in that manner would definitely be a no-no.

I got my first reseller account when I got the fourth customer. More control, better organising, only one account to pay (and not 4 seperate bills) etc.

I started with a small reseller account 1gb / 20gb.
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Usually what I would do is when you have clients enough, to pay for a reseller plan and profit 50% I would get a reseller account, ie. Reseller account 50.00 making 100.00 - that would be the point I would get a reseller account
    Rodney Payne

I think it is better to select reseller plan.
    Domain, Hosting and Reseller at http://www.hostdomainzone.com

Quote Originally Posted by lwbbs View Post
    I think it is better to select reseller plan.
    Same here, as it would better serve the end-user. Of course it has to be within budget, but with today's prices it is plausible if one shops around for a well-rated host with value reseller plans.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

For web designer, personally I'll go for reseller. More control over your client's data.