Unhappy Soft Credit Check?

I am using Quantum Payment Gateway, and so far i have two customers who closed the browser when it asked to verify their SSN in the process of doing a transaction. Is this common?, i personally never had to verify my SSN before. Quantum gateway support said its a soft credit check. I lost two customer, should i keep quantum?

Hi vajjas1,
    does Quantum Gateway always ask for SSN when customers use their payment gateway? I'm just worried because I'm going to be running a shopping site, and I don't want all of them to enter SSN when they make a purchase.

their payment gateway? Quantum itself is a payment gateway. I am not sure what you meant by use their payment gateway?

"does Quantum Gateway always ask for SSN when your customers use Quantum gateway?"

I would stay far away from any gateway requiring ss#'s.
    Quantum is CDG's gateway, and they can set you up with authorize.net as well. I'd recommend using authnet, which never once asked a customer for SS#'s in order to use a credit card.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by doomos View Post
    "does Quantum Gateway always ask for SSN when your customers use Quantum gateway?"
    Yes, from what i heard from my clients, it always asks for SSN#, and CDG customer service confirmed, that SSN check is required for every transaction and there is no way around it.

This is just stupid... It's already hard enough to make customer to trust, to do online purchase (and give away their confidential info like a credit card) - now they want to make people to close browers without any desire of doing any business with you.

I would switch payment processing company right away if I would see something like that.

Try Authorize.net - never have any problems with them.

I am not even sure that Visa allows that, you might be opening yourself up for liability if you ask for that information(it is your site and the customer does not know the difference between a 3rd party gateway and the merchant's web site)
    There are too many gateways out there to bother with one that chases away customes.

Quote Originally Posted by stanj View Post
    I am not even sure that Visa allows that, you might be opening yourself up for liability if you ask for that information
    Wrong, and here's why.
    Firstly, Visa is just visa. They can't do anything about anything other than Visa.They can't stop users from checking credit BEFORE it gets to Visa, they can't control anything outside of their own little world (Visa).

Secondly, CDG Commerce, the individuals behind the Quantum Gateway are standup individuals. They've got a good and healthy relationship with the industry, and are neck deep in what is, and isn't legal to do in this respect. You (really) can't find a more standup business in that specific industry, they'll bend over backwards to help you out!

Now, is doing a 'credit check' on potential CC customers a great idea? Yes and no. Let's say you own a company leasing property online, obviously you want some sort of credit check done THERE, right? Of course.

In the day to day industry, no, it's not a good idea to go through a credit check, and yes, in the day to day industry, I'd bail before even thinking twice about submitting information that personal, unless it was ABSOLUTELY warranted (ie: I'm requesting a credit card, or a loan).

The solution to this problem is incredibly simple, SO simple in fact that it shouldn't even have to be mentioned twice.

Contact CDG (or whomever your provider is), tell them you want to switch to AuthNet. The price is the same, or was when I switched (I didn't even realize that they put me on quantum when I signed up), and the service is great. Do yourself a favor, don't get worked up into a fit over it, just tell them to switch your gateway. Simple, effective, easy.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

You are Mistaken, here is a similar thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=681726 This explains that basicly your sending them to the wrong URL i believe.

I think the original poster perhaps does not know what he is doing. There is no reason why a gateway would be asking your customers to provide their SSN.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Do you have VBV / MSC enabled?

Hello,

Yes if there is a SSN being asked it has to be by the credit card issuing bank. There is nothing in the Quantum Gateway or the Cardinal Commerce that they use itself that asks for a social security number. However we would be happy to turn off the 3Dsecure option for you if you wish.

Also we did reply to your last post and we states that by the way you worded your request we assumed it was for an online application. We also stated that for a Merchant account it was requried to have a SSN. When you wrote back finally and said it was for a payment on your site we then responded to that.

Please feel free to ask our staff at CDGcommerce for help. That is what we are there for. Everyone here in WHT is great but they really do not know the ins and outs of all the features or products we offer.

Again if it is asking for a SSN it has to be the credit card issuer asking for it.

I would be more than happy to test this myself but all 3 of my credit cards already are enrolled and its been to long to remember what they asked for when I had to verify it.

I will however email our contacts over at Cardinal Commerce to see if they any advice.

Jerry
    If it works, do not mess with it.
    If it almost works, fix it.
    If it does not work, replace it.
    CDG Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by vajjas1 View Post
    Yes, from what i heard from my clients, it always asks for SSN#, and CDG customer service confirmed, that SSN check is required for every transaction and there is no way around it.
    Hello vajjas1.

I emailed our contacts at cardinal and they confirmed what I was thinking.

Issuers are only allowed to prompt for the last four digits of the SSN. We can get you an ADS guide tommorow.
    If you wish I would be happy to send you this guide when they send it to me.

Just PM me or create a support ticket.

Jerry
    If it works, do not mess with it.
    If it almost works, fix it.
    If it does not work, replace it.
    CDG Commerce