Advice on VoIP and ECommerse Server

Hey everyone.

I've never purchased a dedicated server before, so I was wondering on what some of the more experienced members here thought.

This server I'm getting needs to be able to run VoIP (all details below), and maybe some E-commerce Software.

Details on what I need :

Two IBM Xeon+ servers having 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD with fedora core 4 installed and live ip(public Ip) on those two boxes.

2Mbps direct line in one server.

Both boxes Should be in local LAN.

Would you recommend a Core2Duo server over the Xeon+ ?

Thank you for the help.
    VPS User

What model Xeons?
    https://ServersAndHosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Guaranteed Hosting

Any Dual core Xeon will do.
    One box will be for E-Commerce the other will be for VoIP.

I'm currently looking at WebNX as well.
    VPS User

If the question is would Core2Duo's or dual core xeons be better, the answer (unfortunately) is "it depends". On some dual core xeon models there is exactly no difference other than part number and packaging between xeons and c2d's. In other cases there are some pretty important differences that would be worth your time and attention.

That said, in VOIP, RAM is king unless you are running a massive voicemail or faxing system, in which case you want lots of ram and great IO.

Do you have a budget yet?

Good luck,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by domainworldaccess View Post
    If the question is would Core2Duo's or dual core xeons be better, the answer (unfortunately) is "it depends". On some dual core xeon models there is exactly no difference other than part number and packaging between xeons and c2d's. In other cases there are some pretty important differences that would be worth your time and attention.
    True, I think i'll stick with the Xeons since they're quad core. Mainly the q6600.

That said, in VOIP, RAM is king unless you are running a massive voicemail or faxing system, in which case you want lots of ram and great IO.
    Yes, I think 2gb, or 4gb will be fine to handle most tasks on the PC. I'm sure i'll be able to upgrade if need be.

Do you have a budget yet?
    My sweet spot is $150 a month. I have a budget of about $2000 at the moment.

Good luck,
    Joe
    Thank you ! =]
    VPS User

$150 per month for QC Xeons and 2-4 GB of RAM is low unless it is unmanaged and has only 1 drive.

That said, you should be able to find some options that meet your specifications in the offers forum here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Good luck!
    Joe

That was a ballpark figure. I'm lenient on the price.

I did find a good setup through WebNX :

Core2 Quadcore q6600 4x 2.4ghz
    4GB Ram
    2x 250GB SATA HDD
    $160 with 1TB of premium BW

I was curious as to the hardware you would recommend as well.

Would a site that handles VoIP, Tracks hotel reservations, handles inventory (at multiple properties), and executes transactions use a a lot of DB work?

I'm wondering if I should go with SCSI drives instead.
    VPS User

In general, if the application is "mission critical" or close to it, you want as much redundance as you can afford. That can very expensive very quickly depoending upon the level of redundance you desire... In general I would recommend SCSI drives in at least a 2 drive mirror, but preferably a 4 drive RAID 10 or RAID6. Just my $.02...

Good luck,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO View Post
    Would a site that handles VoIP, Tracks hotel reservations, handles inventory (at multiple properties), and executes transactions use a a lot of DB work?

I'm wondering if I should go with SCSI drives instead.

For your pricing range (around $150) most "multi-core" class servers you may pick up will likely be just fine for you. Unless you have very heavy hotel reservations and inventory tracking uses (ie. vegas hotels ). If you are having such loads then SCSI will buy you a bit of extra speed -- though you'd also be closing in on the point of needing a dedicated database server. I don't get the impression from your posts that you're looking to set up something quite that big.

For your pricing you can expect to get some sort of RAID disk -- sounds like you'll want mirroring (RAID 1) or some other sort of redundancy RAID (RAID 5 and 10 would be the two most common after RAID 1). At $150 you're not likely to find RAID 5 & 10 setups.

It sounds like you can comfortably start with 2 GB. You might want to check with the provider that you ultimately choose and just confirm that the system can be upgraded with more RAM at a later date.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/