How can I secure my server again spam attacks?

Hi,

I have a cPanel dedicated server and have a lot of spam attacks on this server. It's getting so bad that our IP is being added to Yahoo & AOL blacklists and my emails are bouncing to these accounts.

Is there anyone on here who can do a thourough check on our server and install anything necessary to stop this kind of activity?

Or is there something I can install myself...

If you want to hire someone you should post in the appropriate forum.
    You should check if your server is an open proxy or an open relay.
    After that you should see if there is any exploitable form in the sites of your server.If there are,you should secure them.
    NOT a webhost!helping here just for the fun of it!
    G(r)eek inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tix3 View Post
    If you want to hire someone you should post in the appropriate forum.
    You should check if your server is an open proxy or an open relay.
    After that you should see if there is any exploitable form in the sites of your server.If there are,you should secure them.
    How do I check if it's an open proxy or open relay and what difference does that make?

If it's a Cpanel server, then I doubt it's an open proxy, as by default it's not (unless you've changed some things). More information is needed to provide suggestions, but it's either a spammer you're hosting an account for, or some legitimate user has their account compromised by a spammer, or most likely, one or more user's have an insecure script that is being exploited to relay spam through your server. It all starts with the spam email's headers and the mail logs, and that's where you start tracking the source.

Add these to your rblhost list
    zen.spamhaus.org
    bl.spamcop.net
    psbl.surriel.com
    ubl.unsubscore.com
    dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net
    dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net
    dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net

It looks like the OP was asking about how to stop their own server from being blocked (i.e., outgoing spam from their server is the problem, not incoming).