Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Did anyone notice when it went down? I noticed it was down for me at exactly 11:24PM Pacific Standard Time, and it is right now....err... one hour exactly its been down and I still don't know what's going on except for what Caffeined has said.

Sam

Originally posted by eyow
    btvillarin: Is that a link to a site hosted on HostPacket, because I can't get to it right now

Sam
    I cannot go there too.

Originally posted by Caffeined
    hmm...this is unfortunate...more downtime this month? hostpacket is/was on my "shortlist" as a potential host... i still like their plans/prices and maybe okay for my personal site. i'm curious about cause of downtime.

something wrong w/ dns?
    Yeah it's annoying. They seem ok to me except for the downtime.

But why is it that the day I launch my Oz site we have an outage. Then the Day I launch my US and UK sites. We have an outage.

I'm losing people before I even start. And it always happens as soon as I send out a press release..

They seem ok to me except for the downtime.
    That's how I feel. Kevin is great but it is the downtime that gets me. Like Crypto said "losing people before I start", and what happens if you have some ads or even a full color print story, or a front page news story on the New York Times, and the site is down...not only did you lose one person, but if they go on and say to their friends..."You know what Jim I tried that site once but it wasn't working, don't bother" Well there goes another person.

Sam

PS 1:00AM PST still down and still no word or anything from anybody at HostPacket...

hostpacket is still down

Well it's wierd.

Cpanel works, but can only see the top level files - can't drill down into a directory.

ssh works and can move around my directory structure. At least my files are there.

Wheeew after cpanel net being able to change directories I was worried...

DNS?

Do they even kow if we can't email them. Maybe they are kicking back thinking it is a quiet shift... Doh!!!!

interesting...

all of hostpacket's nameservers (ns1, ns2, ns3, ns5) ping back except for ns4.hostpacket.net...also nslookup timesout for ns4...no surprise... all of this just confirms what we already know...dns isn't working... this makes sense since hostpacket is accessible thru ip address (thanx for the insight "ginagamo")

maybe a dns guru can enlighten us re: nameserver timeout and dns resolution?
    newbie....lurking, learning 'n' looking for a host

perhaps problem is something simpler...too much caffeine tonight. time for sleep. good luck to all.

Time to change (Sigh)

Yep - I was one of the first to join hostpacket when they first opened, support is good / excellent from Kevin and I have no complaints there.

What I do complain about is the fact their uptime "guarantee" is 99.9% - My domain has been down for over 7 hours just this month - well over the 45 minutes allowed under their "guarantee" the response to a previous three hour downtime was less than satisfactory.

Looks like it's time to move to another host.

Matt

edit : BTW - It's been down about 3 hours today (and still is so at time of posting, originally not responding and now DNS issues) sigh
    Last edited by synergymax; 08-19-2002 at 05:56 AM.

Angry

My site went down at 11p yesterday. It's now 4:51a and it's still down.

Hope it goes up before 7a.

Originally posted by btvillarin

SubDomain Adder
    ndc: connect failed: connection refused The subdomain, forums.btvillarin.com has been added.

Any idea what this might mean? I was able to configure it, but I can't get to the intended page.
    This is a common error with cpanel, its no biggie, I get it all the time. Its definately an issue with DNS for hostpacket, your sites should be available via IP address, as theirs is available. I beleive their last downtime was DNS related. You may want to call them, as they may not be aware of this issue(possibily sleeping, as it happend at 11:30pm).

Originally posted by eyow

PS 1:00AM PST still down and still no word or anything from anybody at HostPacket...
    Does anyone know if they have an email address that would not be affected by this?

I really would hate it if they didn't know they had a problem.

People tend to forget that when it is Sunday night in the US, it is Monday day time in Sydney. It is a bsiness day outage to us...

hostpacket dns seems to be resolving properly again...

<insomnia>

I can go to hostpacket.net site now

Nice...everything back to normal. I'm still going to email and ask what the heck happened.

BTW, can you visit that thread for PostCast Server 2 now???

Here it is again:
    http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=117

If you can't, then just go to their website:
    http://www.postcastserver.com/
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

Also, I was down since around 7pm Pacific. So, there was basically 7 1/2 hours of downtime (which was until 2:26pm when Caffeined had access to it). *sigh* What does that calculate to? Is the guarantee diminished?

If you can get ahold of Kevin before I do, I hope y'all can let us know what was going on.

Thanks for the updates everybody!
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

Woo Hooo

Were Back

Crypto

www.hardyards.info

Back up

Hostpacket appears to back up along with my site.

(All times GMT + 9.5 hours)

Down 3.54pm
    Up 7.12pm

Just over 3.5 hours. (DNS Issue)

Down 11.26am
    up 1.20pm

Just under 2 hours (No reply)

Matt

edit : Added no reply error which also occured today which I forgot about.
    Last edited by synergymax; 08-19-2002 at 06:03 AM.

By the way, how do you guys know the exact length of time you were down? I know because I wasn't able to access it at 7:00pm Pacific. Then, after sending to my mailing list, I got the response that it was down an hour before, and laggy for a couple of hours before that.

As for when everything was back up, I'm going by the first post saying that they could access hostpacket.net...even though I was able to at 11pm Pacific.

I'm only saying this because I'm curious how mattonline was only down for 3 1/2 hours.
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

By the way, how do you guys know the exact length of time you were down? I know because I wasn't able to access it at 7:00pm Pacific. Then, after sending to my mailing list, I got the response that it was down an hour before, and laggy for a couple of hours before that.

As for when everything was back up, I'm going by the first post saying that they could access hostpacket.net...even though I was able to at 11pm Pacific.

I'm only saying this because I'm curious how mattonline was only down for 3 1/2 hours.
    I forgot the first outage - check my post again (I added the information) - It was actually 5.5 hours today so far.

Matt

Ah, mine was down for about 3 hours, then accessible again...only to me and another forum member in Austrailia. (In other words, the other 4 1/2 hours was the DNS issue, I guess.)

Where from mattonline? I'm wondering what Time Zone you're in?

I gotta go to bed now. I'm only up because I was moving into my brand spankin' new Antec SX1030B black SOHO File Server case. But now that it's done, I should really go.

Check back later...
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

Ah, mine was down for about 3 hours, then accessible again...only to me and another forum member in Austrailia. (In other words, the other 4 1/2 hours was the DNS issue, I guess.)

Where from mattonline? I'm wondering what Time Zone you're in?

I gotta go to bed now. I'm only up because I was moving into my brand spankin' new Antec SX1030B black SOHO File Server case. But now that it's done, I should really go.

Check back later...
    I'm in Adelaide (CST Australia) - GMT + 9.5 - It always amuses me when people post times on here like EST etc - pretty amusing considering nobody knows which EST they're talking about - or does the world revolve around the US? :>

Matt

Originally posted by mattonline

or does the world revolve around the US? :>

Matt
    Yep !!

And I'm in Sydney.

But someone in Oz should offer to provide follow the sun support for the guys in the US. Last time I was on a project, - last time I had a job - with a team in Dallas. we used to have phone conferences at 8:00 am Sydney time which nicely fitted into the end of their business day 18:00.
    We could start where they left off. And where it got really interesting we had end of our day (Sydney) meetings with a UK team.

In effect you can work around the clock between the US, Oz and the UK. A bit of overlap to hand off problems and away you go.
    Cryptonomicon
    --------------------

Exclamation

Today is another bad morning, I apologize for the downtime again

After checking with my new tech, Apache failed at 11:00pm, then he rebooted server# 1, but at 12:30am Bind failed and he can't solve it, until at 5:30am J. found the problem (on vacation) and fixed the Bind conf file...

The most important is I made a big mistakes to set the monitor to supervise on servers' IP only, if I set it to domain or ports, I would be alarmed once Bind is down...

I sincerely apologize to our clients, especially who was affected during their business hours

P.S. uptime dropped to 99.0%, too bad luck this month...
    Last edited by dk2002; 08-19-2002 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks for the explanation, dk2002. I'm just glad there was communication as soon as possible.

BTW, is it possible to have other means of communication handy if your main site is down? Perhaps a mailing list. I know freelists.org hosts them for free, there's no ads, and it's totally powerful.
    Bryan Villarin
    All Narfed Up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast