Post vB Forum - MySQL/PHP 4 to 5

Hello there,

Currently I have a vB forum setup which I administrate for a CSS gaming league team I'm in, we currently run the vB forum on our hosting which uses:

- Apache 2.0.6.1
    - PHP 4.4.7
    - MySQL 4.1.22-standard

The host is going to be upgrading everything, to:

- Apache 2.2.8
    - PHP 5.2.5
    - MySQL 5

What problems will this cause us (if any?).. We are looking into using the .php5 package of vBulletin, the questions I have are:

1. What benefits, advantages and/or disadvantages does using .php5 package of vB give? (over the usual .php)

2. Will an upgrade from MySQL 4 to 5 cause any database/other errors?

3. Would it be best to start a fresh forum (no problem!) once MySQL 5 is installed?

Many thanks,
    Josh

I'm running a stock install of vBulletin on a PHP5/MySQL5 setup, I've had -zero- issues at all.

Please note, PHP4 is going EOL... so you really should upgrade to PHP5 anyway.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

You shouldn't run into any problems with vB itself. Just beware some mods for vB do not play nice with mysql 5 (due to query issues). With a recent upgrade one of my client's vB mods acted up due to mysql 5 not liking the queries that were being used.

As such ensure you have no mods which don't support mysql5 (most things work fine on php 5.x by now so you "should" be ok there).

mySQL 4.0 and below might cause some issues when upgrading but since you're using mySQL 4.1, the move up to mySQL 5 should be seamless.

PHP 5.2 is a bit quicker than PHP4 in most benchmarks I've seen but you probably won't notice much of a difference.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh A View Post
    Hello there,

Currently I have a vB forum setup which I administrate for a CSS gaming league team I'm in, we currently run the vB forum on our hosting which uses:

- Apache 2.0.6.1
    - PHP 4.4.7
    - MySQL 4.1.22-standard

The host is going to be upgrading everything, to:

- Apache 2.2.8
    - PHP 5.2.5
    - MySQL 5

What problems will this cause us (if any?).. We are looking into using the .php5 package of vBulletin, the questions I have are:

1. What benefits, advantages and/or disadvantages does using .php5 package of vB give? (over the usual .php)

2. Will an upgrade from MySQL 4 to 5 cause any database/other errors?

3. Would it be best to start a fresh forum (no problem!) once MySQL 5 is installed?

Many thanks,
    Josh
    vBulletin should be just fine with the upgrades, might increase your performance slightly as well

Yep, you will most likely wake up and not even know the upgrade has occured.