How good is Internap Bandwidth?

We are in the process of starting a new project for a client and we are trying to decide which network to place it on.

We have a choice of a Level3/Time Warner mix or pure Internap. Obviously the Internap bandwidth is a bit more expensive, but since this customers website serves an international community we are thinking that Internap bandwidth would be well worth the cost.

What are the advantages of using Internap? How is the network performance? We've setup a machine on the Internap network and have begun running tests, but I would like to hear from people who have direct experience with Internap bandwidth.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

Is this in Denver?

Yes, it is in Denver.

Anybody...?

Advantages are you are "directly" connected to all the networks that they offer. Their routing helps to try and route the fastest way possible.

We moved from pure Level3/Broadwing to Internap here in Chicago and really love it. Their NOC has been top notch.

If I'm given the option to have 2 connectivity providers instead of a single one, I'd choose the 2 providers. I believe multi-homed is always better than a single line, but that's just my opinion.
    DirectorioVPS · List of VPS plans around the world
    ComunidadHosting · The Largest Web Hosting Forum In Spanish!

Internap is about as good as it gets. That said, Time Warner and Level3 are two great providers - I think either option will be great, but perhaps Internap slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Apolo View Post
    If I'm given the option to have 2 connectivity providers instead of a single one, I'd choose the 2 providers. I believe multi-homed is always better than a single line, but that's just my opinion.
    I don't necessarily consider multi-homing better than "single-homing" in the case of Internap - although it depends on each individual situation.

There was a long discussion about this in the past, and another member on this forum summed this up better than I could ever do so myself.

See their post here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=37

Quote Originally Posted by Apolo View Post
    Thats the thing. Internap is not just one provider. Here in Chicago they buy transit from seven providers. AT&T, MCI/UUnet/Verizon Business, Sprint, Level 3, NTT/Verio, Savvis and Global Crossing. Thats like having seven providers while only dealing with one.

You cant really get any better bandwidth than Internap, Its high quality and definetly worth the extra $$ per mbit. Level3 is also a good choice for bandwidth but nothing can beat internap for its speeds and low latency. Perhaps try mix Internap and Level3 that would work nicely im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    I don't necessarily consider multi-homing better than "single-homing" in the case of Internap - although it depends on each individual situation.

There was a long discussion about this in the past, and another member on this forum summed this up better than I could ever do so myself.

See their post here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=37
    Thank you for that link, it was really useful. Our tests on the Internap network are performing greatly! Way better than our Level3/Time Warner mix. I am wondering if we should switch over everything to Internap. Their pricing isn't all that bad for as many providers as they purchase transit from.

Quote Originally Posted by RackZen View Post
    Thank you for that link, it was really useful. Our tests on the Internap network are performing greatly! Way better than our Level3/Time Warner mix. I am wondering if we should switch over everything to Internap. Their pricing isn't all that bad for as many providers as they purchase transit from.

We`ve had Internap for almost a year and our customers that are using it couldn`t be happier.
    We`ve never had any network issues with them (hopefully I didn`t jinx myself :-)) and their sales and NOC team have been great as well.
    We were trying to decide between getting Internap or multiple tier1 carriers last summer. We picked Internap because of their performance based routing opposed to BGP and also the fact we didn`t have to negotiate with several carriers and sign bunch of contracts (lowers your risk factors) was very helpful too

Feel free to use our LG site to test the performance of Internap and even compare it to our other carriers http://lg.fdcservers.net/
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price

There are many other Tier 2 networks and various data centers that can provide a roughly equivalent network product and can generally provide it at a lower price point. Some of these include Voxel, GNAX, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    There are many other Tier 2 networks and various data centers that can provide a roughly equivalent network product
    that is true...you can also Yipes, WVFiber, XEEX, PCCW and many others.
    However with Internap you get bandwidth that is much more marketable than the ones listed above and not every tier2 provide is able to provide performance based routing.

and can generally provide it at a lower price point. Some of these include Voxel, GNAX, etc.
    I`d have to disagree on that but won`t comment because of NDA
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price

There are many other Tier 2 networks and various data centers that can provide a roughly equivalent network product and can generally provide it at a lower price point. Some of these include Voxel, GNAX, etc.
    For the purposes of this thread, we are discussing the quality of Internap transit in Denver, CO; Voxel or GNAX doesn't apply there.

I'll refrain from sharing my opinion on whether either of these can stand up to Internap's product, as it depends on many factors (customer's target market, etc.). That said, I will say that Voxel has a very nice network. I simply cannot say they are better or worse than Internap as I don't have the data to back that up (not to mention that it'll vary).

Quote Originally Posted by RackZen View Post
    Go for it - I don't think you can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    For the purposes of this thread, we are discussing the quality of Internap transit in Denver, CO; Voxel or GNAX doesn't apply there.

I'll refrain from sharing my opinion on whether either of these can stand up to Internap's product, as it depends on many factors (customer's target market, etc.). That said, I will say that Voxel has a very nice network. I simply cannot say they are better or worse than Internap as I don't have the data to back that up (not to mention that it'll vary).

Go for it - I don't think you can go wrong.
    The original post says nothing about Denver and the topic is "How good is Internap Bandwidth?" I figured the information I gave would fall under that topic. ;-)

I agree, you'll be hard pressed to say they are better than InterNAP, but I myself have experience with various networks that are right on par with InterNAP and generally cheaper. InterNAP isn't doing anything that someone else couldn't do in a specific location, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation