Smile Zen Cart Question

Hello,

If i use zen cart, will it allow me to use a checkout feature? Where buyers will be able to purchase multiple items at once, instead of buying each individual items using just a buy now button? When install zencart how will it allow me to place the shopping cart script on my website? Will it generate an html code for each product that i create? Thanks!!!

Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Yes, there's a checkout feature, with lots of discount and shipping options. Yes, it will generate HTML code for each product.

Adding it to your site is easy if you don't care about the appearance. You just make a subdirectory, install it there and link to it. If you want it to have the same look and feel as the rest of the site you have to learn HTML (gasp!).
    Phil McKerracher

Phil,

thanks! HTML is not a problem will it take a lot of time to make the sub directory look and feel like the rest of my site? Do you use zen cart your self? Thanks!

Hello HostLyon,

As everyone says above, there is a checkout feature etc.
    For installing, if you can fantastico on your server, that would be an easy way to install ZenCart.
    If Not, the manual way, via ftp, is also good, just a bit more work

When you add items, items are not converted to html pages.
    ZenCart is a PHP cart, using MySQL. (Database driven cart).
    So all products you put in are stored on a DB then php pages are generated when someone browses your shop.

Hope that half helps.
    The ZenCart site is a good guide as well.

Brad
    A Zen Cart User

Quote Originally Posted by hostlyon View Post
    ...will it take a lot of time to make the sub directory look and feel like the rest of my site? Do you use zen cart your self?
    There's a template system to make it easier to integrate the look and feel. It's not too hard for a "normal-looking" site but it takes time. I use it on www.skeptic.org.uk/shop.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBrad View Post
    For installing, if you can fantastico on your server, that would be an easy way to install ZenCart...When you add items, items are not converted to html pages. ZenCart is a PHP cart...
    Good points. I have to say I've found Fantastico to be pretty useless though, because it doesn't handle updates properly (even though it claims to). Since you therefore have to learn to do updates anyway, using Fantastico for the initial installation doesn't help much. (It's great for a quick trial though.)

The original question about items being "converted to HTML" wasn't very clear, but I think he wanted to know whether HTML had to be generated manually for every item in the shop. The PHP gets translated to HTML when the pages are served, so the final HTML output is all automatic in that sense. However, the description and picture of each item are normally entered in HTML format when the item is first added to the shop, so in that sense the answer is no. However, there's a built-in WYSIWYG editor to help with that. So once the shop is set up, non-technical people can add and remove items and process orders reasonably easily.
    Phil McKerracher

With the HTML question, I figured HostLyon was referring to html pages like EziMerchant Pro for example.
    Where each product is converted to a html page then uploaded to the server as linked html cart using html pages and javascript for the cart.
    Exceptionally great for seo/customisation etc.

Where the ZenCart is a PHP/DB based cart.

You are so Right about manually upgrading ZenCart Phil.
    The only way when you skin it.
    But for the install, Fantastico, creates the directory and MySQL DB, then installs it nicely.
    For a novice or pro, the install that way is painless.
    The pain starts when you skin and upgrade

My Thoughts

Brad

Ok now i understand , will it be hard to change the original template to my template? When i do is there mostly html involved in this process.... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hostlyon View Post
    ...will it be hard to change the original template to my template? When i do is there mostly html involved in this process.... Thanks!
    Not hard, just time-consuming. Mostly HTML with a bit of PHP.

The real pain is finding and fixing all the non-standard units, date formats and charsets (if you're not in the US).
    Phil McKerracher

I'm located in the us so it shouldn't be a problem??