Question Reselling space on a rackshack server?

Any opinions on if a rackshack dedicated server would be acceptable for reselling space on? The target customer base would be customers who just want to put up, say a personal website or photo site, and maybe businesses just starting out on the internet. In other words not absolute mission critical 100% uptime needed, just 99.9% maybe.

Possibly...

From what I know, and have heard:

You could very well do that.. but one of my employees said he had rented an Intel Celeron 1.3 GHz I believe. He said all was swell accept once they have a massive Internal DOS (Denial of Service) attack that lasted overnight. From information I obtained they were absloutley clueless of what was going on accept the Head Tech. It took them a couple hours to actually say, "Hey! We should look for the boxes who are engaging in this DOS attack!". From what I can understand, Robert Marsh was out of the country at the time and most everybody was gone.

Also, they seem to have lots of problems with the AMD systems and the fans inside of them. 'They are not cool enough' and they are burning out. Just something to be aware of.

This is just my 2 cents. Not bashing of any case but telling like I know.

But they hold true to all else. But, make sure you ready the T.O.S. I just read over it and they will nickle and dime you here and there if you don't watch out.

Thanks,
    Owner/CEO
    TechEGlobal Computer Solutions

If you are new to linux, look elsewhere. RackShack is an unmanaged solution. They have brainwashed their entire support team and they pretty much only know how to say RESTORE (which btw costs you $31.39 each time, $74.69 if you want it done within 1-2 hours). I am right now dealing with a near $300 discrepancy with them (related to faulty hardware issues) and I can tell you I am far less than satisfied with the help I have received in trying to resolve this.

My recommendation, search around here, there are plenty of companies that will offer you a dedicated close to the cost of RS and they are MUCH better when it comes to customer service and quality of service. I know that I no longer nor will I at any point in the future do business with them.
    Jordan Bouvier

I guess I should have said my experience. I do not need any support in the sense of setting anything up or compiling anything (apache/bind/etc). I only have to contact my hosts when something is physically wrong with the server, ie bad harddrive. So an unmanaged server would actually be preferred.

Well in my experience with RS even if you have a problem with hardware they don't want to help. I had a memory issue and I told them there was a memory issue and instead of offering to test it/try to fix the problem, they took a few minutes to check the system breifly and said the only thing they can do is restore at my expense.... (5/7/2002)

A week later the memory was deemed bad and replaced (5/13/2002).

I have yet to receive a refund for that restore or two months of service during which the hardware in my machine was faulty, causing the machine to panic every day or two and need reboots and manual fsck's.
    Jordan Bouvier

Dont go near rackshack.

Here is an idea for you, check out the BBB page on them:
    http://worf.usshurdman.com/~hous/com...ompid=23000212
    Jordan Bouvier

Notice on that list about 85% of the complaints were resolved and think about it those complaints are out of prob more than 8000 servers.. I like RS because first I know that there is a lot less chance that I will wake up and they will have closed shop like many of the smaller companies do when they realize its a rough market out there, second I have called support several times and they have always tried to help as much as they can, there are UN-managed servers and people still dont get it even thought this is clearly stated they DO support everything that comes on the box like the red hat, ensim and such.. and I have never had a problem getting support from them. A while back they were really lacking in the support area and in the taking blame area but I have seen a great improvement in the past 6-10 months with reboot times, taking fault on issues like HD and memory failures and overall support helpfullness. So I would say if you know the basics on *nix administration go for it.. my 2cents.

Look up companies like Worldcom, AOL, Microsoft on BBB. They all have many fewer total complaints than RS and I would be they have just a tad few more customers;-)

Also I agree, they are unmanaged servers and you should know everything about administering your system before you order a server with them. However when it takes you months worth of work just to get hardware issued fixed, there is a problem. And when its even harder to get them to take any sort of blame for it and refund your money there is a large issue.
    Jordan Bouvier

I personally plan on getting one of their unmetered servers because I have a personal project that will be using a lot of bandwidth. But I don't think our business would have chosen them as a vendor for our web servers.

Just my opinion. I obviously haven't had any direct experiences with them yet, but they look good if you need a lot of bandwidth at a somewhat decent data center.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by bitserve
    I personally plan on getting one of their unmetered servers because I have a personal project that will be using a lot of bandwidth. But I don't think our business would have chosen them as a vendor for our web servers.
    Well said. I wouldn't hesitate to get a RackShack server if I was for my own personal use -- it's a great value -- but I wouldn't put clients on one of their servers. I'm not too fond of some of the policies I read in their TOS.
    Jeremy » jeremy@frontdrive.com
    Front Drive » Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Any ideas for a low cost dedicated server that would be of high enough quality to resell to clients?

I mean seriously.. You are paying $99 / month what more do you expect?

James R. Clark II

www.eservers.biz from what I hear has GREAT service
    www.rackfast.com I know from experience is a great company, fast customer service, and very friendly.
    From what I've heard priority colo is also very good. I was working on a deal with them but ended up going with RackFast but would definitly consider using them (priority colo) in the future.

Also I'm not sure of the company name but Asher of HostCharge is offering some servers and he is offering very good deals. Hes a really cool guy so I'd imagine that support and quality would be pretty good there too.
    Jordan Bouvier

hum sounds nice

Originally posted by jarrod
    Any ideas for a low cost dedicated server that would be of high enough quality to resell to clients?
    Hello,

BurstNET is offering Pentium 4 - 1.5 Mhz, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, 300 GB Monthly bandwidth, Cpanel and etx.. for US$ 139.00 /month.

Which is quite fare I guess.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Sounds like a good deal!
    Jordan Bouvier

We like catalog.com.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

I have 1 server at Rackshack, and I'm pleased with it so far. Then again, I've only had it a couple of months.

I also have servers at dialtone, and they have been wonderful when it comes to support. The key is to make friends with the support people, and they take care of you.

I had lots of problems with the servers at dialtone, because, well, because I'm not a huge lover of Plesk. Now, Plesk and I have an understanding... Actually, once I got over the initial differences with Plesk and Cpanel, things are quite smooth.

BUT, the folks at dialtone where quite helpful.

I haven't dealt with rackshack for support, but my system running ensim, runs like a trooper, without any problems.

Steve
    Steven Santinelli
    www.sms-hosting.com - Premium Web Hosting
    www.sms-telecom.com - Low cost long distance/800 Service!

I just ordered a p4 tonight for gaming. I was impressed by their automated setup. Other companies seem to take up to 48 hours to come through with the equipment.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: johna11en@hotmail.com | e-mail

I've heard many good and bad reviews about rackshack, but you have to keep in mind they have over 10,000 clients.. 100 complaints is still a good ratio for that many users.

Originally posted by combs
    I've heard many good and bad reviews about rackshack, but you have to keep in mind they have over 10,000 clients.. 100 complaints is still a good ratio for that many users.
    They don't have that many clients yet, that is their goal for the end of the year. And even at that rate like I noted earlier in this thread, huge companies which are many times the size of rackshack dont even have half the number of complaints they have.

I'm just basically trying to save anyone the hassle of using this for anything *important*. If you just want a machine to host a game server or your personal and a few friends sites, RS is fine. I just wouldn't recommend anyone use it for business use.
    Jordan Bouvier

and where do you find huge companies having half of the complaints than rackshack offering services at prices RS offers...well no offenses..but rackshack is not bad either...remember the key "KEEP BACKUPS " "SERVERS ARE TIER1 UNMANAGED " else you won't have major problems with them...I have one of my servers with them and has always found them supportive enough..again make friends with support ppl and you won't find much problems...sure their's a bunch of idiots in their team who mess up the things and are responsible for most of the customer problems but if you look other way round the RS forums offers one of the best community help, with all the guys offering help there you won't be in much trouble with even unmanaged servers..sure you need to know how to search over the forums... Now for my expirience..Since last one year I had been with them I had found their network extremly reliable, no downtimes for me except on a very few moments and the support & RS forum community had been very helpful..The best deal you can get for $99

This is true that there are people who have probably put in complaints because they didn't know what they were doing, however, in my case the issue at hand was the fact that they provided faulty hardware and refused to fix it for a period of time and then when they finally figured out that they were wrong and I was right that there were hardware issues, they refused to issue refunds for services paid for but not rendered.
    Jordan Bouvier