hosting allowing chmod? new to hosting need help

I recently got webhosting with godaddy which I have now decided was a bad choice. Its "user friendly" model makes it harder. My main problem at the moment is loading forum php script and such I have to have my permission changed which i know how to do but it wont let me through ftp or godaddy's filemanager (though it says you can). *Does someone know how to do this on godaddy **or what hosting do you recommend for:
    windows or linux if its much better
    chmod easily capable
    PHP
    don't need a huge amount of space but would like to keep it under $25 a month for now at least

Almost any real host will allow you to use chmod in shell (if you have shell), FTP and their control panel/file manager (if they offer one). Never assume it's uncommon because a provider like GoDaddy or Yahoo, etc. don't make it easy.

Yeah I have tried in filezilla and winscp and it won't let me because of godaddy and when i do it through their file manager it won't let me change individual files only folders and even that doesn't seem to have an effect still cant get my permissions to 666 on the files i need.

Yep, I can't really recommend anything on the GoDaddy side since I have no experience.
    Hosted with ReliableSite.Net.

Bkerry - but you can do this easily with the hosting your recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by userid605 View Post
    Bkerry - but you can do this easily with the hosting your recommended?
    Yes, the file manager lets me modify the permissions down to the file level.
    Hosted with ReliableSite.Net.

I'll try it out thanks

how to I access mysql?

thanks for the help got it