Question Building my own box. Need your feedback

Hi,

I've been running a niche hosting business (one man show) for about 6 months now and so far I've learnt the basics of the hosting business. In fact I'm quite successful too, with good profits right from the first month. I know a bit of server admin and manage my own servers.

However, now I plan to start general shared hosting business and have decided to own my hardware and colocate it at a DC. (I'm not located in the US; the DC owner is my friend and would receive the hardware and set it up for me.)

The box would cater to general shared webhosting needs with cPanel (I don't like it but the market does )

Here's what I'm planning to go for...please put in your valuable inputs.

$300 for 1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DCL-I ATX Mainboard
    $380 for 2x Kingston 4GB(2x2GB) KVR667D2D4F5K2/4G RAM
    $475 for 2x Intel Xeon E5405 Harpertown Quad Core 2Ghz.
    $240 for 2x WD Caviar RE2 WD5001ABYS 500GB SATA2 HDD
    $250 for 1x Supermicro CSE-811T-420B 1U Chassis

100Mbps port, CentOS 5.latest 64bit, cPanel.

So, to sum up... 8x2Ghz CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA RAID system to start with.

I'm open to all suggestions and would appreciate valuable advice etc. from experienced people. I'd like to ensure full hardware/software compatibility and maximum stability.

Exclamation

May want to consider buying a pre-built box. Save some hassle, and get a brand known for reliability.

I had though about that...but supermicro systems (chassis+mainboard) are known to be of high grade.

* Moved to the Colo forum.

Alex

Sorry for posting in wrong section, Alex...could you put in your suggestion please?

If you are sold on Supermicros (very good machines), then look into a Supermicro Barebone also. May be able to save a few $$$
    Tersum - High Availability VPS Solutions
    http://www.tersum.com
    (877) 883-7786

Hmm...good suggestion. But do they come in specifications that I like? And are they really cheaper than if I integrate the components myself?

Oh, will the ICH9R work fine for my RAID1 setup? Or buy a SATA RAID card? I guess these don't come cheap...

8. Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007 View Post
    Hi,

I've been running a niche hosting business (one man show) for about 6 months now and so far I've learnt the basics of the hosting business. In fact I'm quite successful too, with good profits right from the first month. I know a bit of server admin and manage my own servers.

However, now I plan to start general shared hosting business and have decided to own my hardware and colocate it at a DC. (I'm not located in the US; the DC owner is my friend and would receive the hardware and set it up for me.)

The box would cater to general shared webhosting needs with cPanel (I don't like it but the market does )

Here's what I'm planning to go for...please put in your valuable inputs.

$300 for 1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DCL-I ATX Mainboard
    $380 for 2x Kingston 4GB(2x2GB) KVR667D2D4F5K2/4G RAM
    $475 for 2x Intel Xeon E5405 Harpertown Quad Core 2Ghz.
    $240 for 2x WD Caviar RE2 WD5001ABYS 500GB SATA2 HDD
    $250 for 1x Supermicro CSE-811T-420B 1U Chassis

100Mbps port, CentOS 5.latest 64bit, cPanel.

So, to sum up... 8x2Ghz CPU, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA RAID system to start with.

I'm open to all suggestions and would appreciate valuable advice etc. from experienced people. I'd like to ensure full hardware/software compatibility and maximum stability.
    1. X7DCL-i (Intel 5100 chipset) uses DDR2 ECC registered (must be single-rank type in pair) modules, and you can't use FBDIMM on it! good thing about ECC reg DDR2 is that they use fraction of power that FBDIMMs consume.
    2. make sure you get BX80574E5405A which comes with 1U heatsink (by removing fan on top). don't get BX80574E5405P because the 2U passive heatsink can't never fit 1U
    3. make sure you get air-shroud (MCP-310-00009-01) which is sold separately
    4. may want to consider 4-bay SC813MT-420CB (about $50 more) in case you wish to install high-performance RAID6/RAID10 later

Many thanks for your valuable insights, apaqdigital!
    In fact, I came aross your server build and based my specifications on it.

1. Thanks, I missed on the mem. spec. Could you elaborate more on this? No idea on type-in pair etc.

2. Thanks, I'm aware of that.

3. No idea what this thing does. Doesn't it come bundled?

4. Hmm...seen that, don't think I'm going to use more than 2 disks.

Many thanks...if you have similar deals on prebuilt system or custom system, please PM me a quote!

An air-shroud basically prevents server overheating by directing the air from the server fans in the front of the chassis to specific parts of the server where a lot of heat is generated, usually over CPUs and Memory.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

11. Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007 View Post
    Many thanks for your valuable insights, apaqdigital!
    In fact, I came aross your server build and based my specifications on it.

1. Thanks, I missed on the mem. spec. Could you elaborate more on this? No idea on type-in pair etc.

2. Thanks, I'm aware of that.

3. No idea what this thing does. Doesn't it come bundled?

4. Hmm...seen that, don't think I'm going to use more than 2 disks.

Many thanks...if you have similar deals on prebuilt system or custom system, please PM me a quote!
    depending on chipset on the server board, this is what you need:
    Intel 5000P/5000X/5000V/5400: ECC FBDIMM DDR2, single-rank or dual-rank
    Intel 5100: ECC registered DDR2, single rank only

single-rank DDR2 ECC reg. 2G modules are super expensive! meanwhile 4G FBDIMM has dropped to $200 range, thus you may be better off to use X7DVL-I (6x FBDIMM slots) board or X7DVL-L (4x FBDIMM slots), then install 2x 4G FBDIMM to get 8G total, and still leave room to add more RAM.

So I better go for X7DVL-I with 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMMs (2GB ones look cheaper than 4GB modules)?
    I guess single/dual rank etc. doesn't matter here.

Oh, would the integrated SATA controller be enough or need to buy a seperate RAID card?
    These things are damn costly!

Many thanks again...I'm still waiting for a quote from you

13. Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007 View Post
    So I better go for X7DVL-I with 4x2GB Kingston FB-DIMMs (2GB ones look cheaper than 4GB modules)?
    I guess single/dual rank etc. doesn't matter here.

Oh, would the integrated SATA controller be enough or need to buy a seperate RAID card?
    These things are damn costly!

Many thanks again...I'm still waiting for a quote from you
    2x 4G will cost ~15% more than 4x 2G, but 2x 4G consume less power and give you more rooms/flexibility for RAM expansion in the future.

adding a 3ware 8006-2LP 2-port SATA Hardware RAID1 card is not terribly expensive. but, I do see lots of our clients rather having 2nd HDD mounted as "/backup" than setting up hardware or software RAID1.

BTW, we don't do quotes over WHT, PM or not.