View Poll Results: Can Lack of Sleep Lead To Death or Early Death?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 71.11%
  • No

16 35.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.

* Can Not Getting Enough Sleep Lead To Death or an Early Death?

Hi,

Do you think by not getting enough rest can lead to death or an early death?

If you think so or think not, be sure that you provide an example why or a source of why not.

For me, I believe it can by some of the research I've done, but it's great to see what the community here thinks overall.

Excess tiredness can lead to accident or death at work and on the road - examples have been proven from some sufferers of sleep apnea.
    A new study out from the University of British Columbia and Vancouver Coastal Health today reveals people with sleep apnea not only double their risk of being in a severe car crash -- but they also suffer serious injuries.

Sleep apnea is a breathing disorder where sufferers stop breathing -- usually for up to a minute at a time -- while they sleep. There is also often frequent wakening throughout the night, and consequently sufferers feel tired during the day. Research now shows these interrupted sleeps can put someone's life in danger. Across the board, people with sleep apnea, whether they feel sleepy or not, are involved in more serious motor vehicle crashes.

Well if you think about it your body needs rest and if its not getting the rest it deserves it can at some point cause heart failure. I've read numerous reports of gamers in China and North Korea who would stay up 72 hours with no sleep playing video games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100801405.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2701485.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/481340.stm
    http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_ch...?storyid=16399
    http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...62796020070924

Hell, anything involving the heart can be an early death. If you drink like 5 Monster Energy drinks in a day it can cause you have a heart attack.
    Kerry Jones

I've stayed up for 3 days without sleeping before.

Right now, I haven't slept in the past 24 hours.

Yeah, it sucks, but I'll die young. Then again, Da Vinci only slept like 3 hours a day.

In my personal experience, I need at-most 6 hours of sleep in 24 hours. If it exceeds or lowers than I get excited and work things out more rapidly, my blood pressure sometimes is high but pulse rate is always higher than normal, even now my pulse rate is higher than average.

But well it can be considered a drawback of being overweight at 22.

I've become conditioned to 4-5 hours per night, sometimes less, rarely more. I don't feel it now, but maybe someday...

what about 2 much sleep is why old people (like me) die ?
    maybe we can all live forever
    some please try to live forever
    and tell us what the result was

If you believe in the christian bible, then lack of sleep does not shorten your life span at all It's all in the book of genesis

But back to reality ...

If you have known parents who live till they are 80s and older, the same hold true. Lack of sleep does not make your life shorter.

I wonder where this research comes from ...
    1. Mmmmm food...

Man, I'm so tired.

If you haven't sleep for 2 days, you might reach the restless point, where you are so tired, but can't fall asleep. Maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by hycloud View Post
    Man, I'm so tired.

If you haven't sleep for 2 days, you might reach the restless point, where you are so tired, but can't fall asleep. Maybe that's just me.
    Restlessness would be the least of your concerns, as sleep deprivation can cause both visual and auditory hallucinations that can be quite terrifying.

I don't know but I can't really function with less than 4 hours.

I saw/read/heard something about driving super sleepy on average being more dangerous than driving drunk. Please note that I am not saying that 24 hours of being awake equals a bottle and a half of tequila. I'm talking about a few beers, not a 21st birthday party.

Keep in mind, I have no idea where I saw/read/heard this, but I am fairly certain I am not imagining things.

My Sister has been a courier for about 15-20ish years, for a private company. She existed off of 2-4 hours of sleep a night for all of those years (6 or 7 days a week btw). She gradually got more and more fatigued as the years went on. Days where should could sleep in typically involved getting about 6 hours of sleep, but if she slept any longer than that she would get a horrible migraine and would have to kill a few imitrex just to be able to stay in bed and fall asleep, let alone function. On more than one occasion we had to take a trip to the emergency room because her migraine was so bad.

Luckily now she got promoted and works a desk job, so her hours arent nearly as crazy.

There are very few things more unsettling than being on call 24/7 and knowing that if you dont answer your phone someone may not get the medicine they need to save their life.

Anyway, I believe the less sleep you get, the lower your immune system, and the more 'life' wears on you. Whether or not you survive longer isnt really the case, its more a question of how well can you truly Live if your constantly exhausted.

/2cents
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Quote Originally Posted by Shannara View Post
    If you believe in the christian bible, then lack of sleep does not shorten your life span at all It's all in the book of genesis
    Say what?

I will sleep for a solid 6 to 7 hours, without waking. No trips to the loo too, so this means no cancer of the pancreas.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I would have to say that the lack of many things can lead to death or an early death. Lack of food and water for instance will lead to death.

As for lack of sleep...well...the death part is usually due to the fatal accidents caused as a direct result of the lack of sleep....like falling asleep at the wheel of the car whilst driving along a busy motorway during rush hour etc, or even reading the bible when you should be watching where you're going.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 03-24-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post

My Sister has been a courier for about 15-20ish years, for a private company. She existed off of 2-4 hours of sleep a night for all of those years (6 or 7 days a week btw). She gradually got more and more fatigued as the years went on. Days where should could sleep in typically involved getting about 6 hours of sleep, but if she slept any longer than that she would get a horrible migraine and would have to kill a few imitrex just to be able to stay in bed and fall asleep, let alone function. On more than one occasion we had to take a trip to the emergency room because her migraine was so bad.

/2cents
    Wow, same with me. If I sleep for more than 8 hours, I get a horrible migraine.

I try to get at least 6 hours a night. I prefer 8-10. Any less and I feel crappy throughout the day.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

/me never has time for sleep.

2-4 hours per night, a dozen or so hours on both sat + sun.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

They also say that we spen 20-25 years sleeping. So about 1/3rd of our life is consumed up with sleeping, and they are trying to figure out what about sleeping is really needed, and when you sleep you usually dream. So some sceientist are puzzeled still on the question of, is having dreams just a random part of our system, or is there a "unique" purpose on why we dream.

Some said, it helps release emotions we may have, such as, you may go to bad angry and wake up a bit less angry or not angry at all and able to move forward with your life and etc..

But since our world is becoming a 24/7 world in this century, our sleeping patterns have changed drastically.

Here's a good read, did you know that there was some rumors that 2 video gamers playing WOW (World of Warcraft) died because they didn't get enough sleep and was playing the game none stop for 3 days.... :O

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but google it, you'll see

Quote Originally Posted by SupportRep911 View Post
    They also say that we spen 20-25 years sleeping. So about 1/3rd of our life is consumed up with sleeping, and they are trying to figure out what about sleeping is really needed, and when you sleep you usually dream. So some sceientist are puzzeled still on the question of, is having dreams just a random part of our system, or is there a "unique" purpose on why we dream.
    I have heard that dreams are a way of our subconscious to work through certain issues. Kind of like therapy for the mind. I believe dreams have a purpose and a function, at least they do for me as I dream a lot.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

now, there is no questioning that if it is a continuous habit, lack of sleep would weaken all physiology, therefore would make the person susceptible to diseases and whatnot. exceptions are possible, there is even a case of a woman who havent been able to sleep for 10 years somewhere around southeast asia, but exceptions do not make a rule.

1. Thai Ngoc, born 1942, claims to have been awake for 33 years or 11,700 nights, according to Vietnamese news organization Thanh Nien. It was said that Ngoc acquired the ability to go without sleep after a bout of fever in 1973,[31] but other reports indicate he stopped sleeping in 1976 with no known trigger.[32] At the time of the Thanh Nien report, Ngoc suffered from no apparent ill effect (other than a minor decline in liver function), was mentally sound and could carry 100 kg of pig feed down a 4 km road,[31] but another report indicates that he was healthy before the sleepless episode but that now he was not feeling well because of the lack of sleep.[32]
    Wikipedia for the win http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep#L..._without_sleep

Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    Interesting, that's quite hard to believe "33" years without shutting your eyes not once or just your complete system just shutting down usually making you black out or just faint? Wow

I can see why his lever may of been effected, but the going 33 years all his white blood cells would be so weak he wouldn't be able to defend any type of battery that entered his body, so the only way I see that he could have lived that long is if he was in some type of battery/germ free room all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by SupportRep911 View Post
    Interesting, that's quite hard to believe "33" years without shutting your eyes not once or just your complete system just shutting down usually making you black out or just faint? Wow

I can see why his lever may of been effected, but the going 33 years all his white blood cells would be so weak he wouldn't be able to defend any type of battery that entered his body, so the only way I see that he could have lived that long is if he was in some type of battery/germ free room all that time.

For what its worth, I dont believe that he has really been awake for 33 years. Especially since the other 'record holders' maxed out at 11 days.

I tried searching for some more information on the 33-year guy, but I couldnt find anything I would cite as 'credible'.

Just goes to show you, Wikipedia CAN be wrong, contrary to popular belief.

Lack of sleep has nothing to do with life span. But as a result of less sleep, you may get tired, and you may suffer some heart shocks, or breathing problems. I do not know how it works, because obviously, when I am lacking sleep, I get it. But I believe it has nothing to do with life span, only with your physical activity, energy, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Porte View Post
    Lack of sleep has nothing to do with life span. But as a result of less sleep, you may get tired, and you may suffer some heart shocks, or breathing problems. I do not know how it works, because obviously, when I am lacking sleep, I get it. But I believe it has nothing to do with life span, only with your physical activity, energy, and so on.

Well the short lifespan comes from the idea that your stress hominies and natural appetite suppression hormones starts to increase and your chances for diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart diease, and stroke sky rocket.

Melatonin is created when you sleep, and this helps reduce your chance of getting cancer, but when you decrease the amount of sleep you receive, you decrease the amount of melatonin your body has built up.

So these any many more are what lack of sleep results to, to shorten your lifespan. So I'd have to disagree, not getting enough sleep will shorten your lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by aqns_hosting View Post
    Dont think so...
    Can you be more specific on your response bud