Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Angry Dedicated Server Recommendation?

    OK, so we were with ipowerweb, man, biggest mistake ever, wasn't my choice, was cheap, did the job for a while. Now we started overloading the box, ok, find an alternative, we found VRT Servers, wow, mistake 2 it would seem, currently we have a P4 w/HT, 1.5gig, 250gig, 2500gig/mo bandwidth and directadmin for 80/mo, can someone recommend someone that will provide something around these specs and actually have semi decent support (11hrs and counting for a reboot request...)

    We basically need a 64bit box, with directadmin and fedora (i know technically they arent compatible but they do work after you screw with exim, pretty easy really) and a decent amount of bandwidth and support... i would order a box from FDC in a heartbeat but they are just out of the pricerange for this particular server at this point in time.

  2. #2
    You get what you pay for. I am sure there are good providers in that range but as you have already seen, finding one is trial and error and you will get burned more often than not. Are you not able to raise your budget a bit? FDC is not known for their expensive pricing. Good luck with where you go. Try for remote reboot and that should eliminate one bit of worry you have now.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,125

  4. #4
    sadly the budget sits around the 100/mo mark currently, quite happy to up the budget in the coming months but currently its not an option otherwise i wouldv already ordered a box from fdc

    funny part is, we have an apc remote reboot port on this server, but the password doesnt work anymore! @!#$ just cant win here

    hell, at this point, if people have suggestions on quality hosts around the 1tb/mo bandwidth mark id probably be quite interested... sick to death of people who cant tell their face from their *** when it comes to a datacenter!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    /home/India/Kolkata
    Posts
    306
    Go with volumedrive. Cheap prices yet nice support and hardware options.

    You could get a dual core AMD with 10mbps unmetered dedicated bandwidth for $60 or so. DA is $15/mo extra.

    I'd suggest CentOS 5 x64 with DA (running 2 boxes there with same OS and DA)

    Send mail to Josh : info[at]volumedrive.com

  6. #6
    I think that you'd get Core 2 Duo or single Xeon for $100 - $150 per month. I believe this is a reasonable price for Intel based servers. It is more important however what kind of OS and software configuration do you need as well as what kind of support do you expect to receive.

    There are many good dedicated hosting providers here at WHT, and no one knows all of them. So check offers section and find what do you need. It is a good idea to discuss your project with you future host because the infrastructure and uptime is something you can buy. It is different with an expertise and the service model of each web host.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

  7. #7
    I would go with a known provider...SoftLayer has been good for us.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by agnivo007 View Post
    Go with volumedrive. Cheap prices yet nice support and hardware options.

    You could get a dual core AMD with 10mbps unmetered dedicated bandwidth for $60 or so. DA is $15/mo extra.

    I'd suggest CentOS 5 x64 with DA (running 2 boxes there with same OS and DA)

    Send mail to Josh : info[at]volumedrive.com
    I'm with VolumeDrive too, good response times, nothing to complain about!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    I'm with VolumeDrive too, good response times, nothing to complain about!
    I'm with VolumeDrive as well. I had a problem at first, the downloads were so slow (30 kb/s average). Josh looked into it and it took a good week before it got resolved. It's been about two weeks since and for the most part, the speeds have been good. The customer support is awesome, they respond almost instantly to all my emails. I would recommend them as well.
    Last edited by TheMethod; 03-25-2008 at 04:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    Does VolumeDrive provide 24 X 7 support? I made a query about their servers 3 hours back and still have not received a reply. I am in India btw, so a different timezone.

    Edit: I am not an existing customer if you can't tell :p

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK.
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Saibal View Post
    Does VolumeDrive provide 24 X 7 support? I made a query about their servers 3 hours back and still have not received a reply. I am in India btw, so a different timezone.

    Edit: I am not an existing customer if you can't tell :p
    According to a friend of mine who has a server there, yes.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Saibal View Post
    Does VolumeDrive provide 24 X 7 support? I made a query about their servers 3 hours back and still have not received a reply. I am in India btw, so a different timezone.

    Edit: I am not an existing customer if you can't tell :p
    Saibal, We do provide 24 x 7 support. However, sales is usually available from 8 AM to 12AM (GMT - 5). We will look into your inquiry and reply promptly.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    We do provide 24 x 7 support. However, sales is usually available from 8 AM to 12AM (GMT - 5). We will look into your inquiry and reply promptly.
    Ahh, that's what I thought . Thanks for letting me know

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clovis, CA
    Posts
    277
    You can try www.cari.net

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Cari I wouldnt recommend, not professional enough and the hardware and hard disks are cheap.

    Softlayer by far, volumedrive as mentioned here seem to have a good rap too.
    Damien

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    Saibal, We do provide 24 x 7 support. However, sales is usually available from 8 AM to 12AM (GMT - 5). We will look into your inquiry and reply promptly.
    No reply yet, and I do believe it is beyond 12 AM your place. Technically, I have been waiting for a reply for the past 18 hours or such. And if I just count the time frame when your sales team is online...well, it's been a long time after that too. I wonder if you guys got my query or not...or maybe no one had a chance to look at it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Saibal View Post
    No reply yet, and I do believe it is beyond 12 AM your place. Technically, I have been waiting for a reply for the past 18 hours or such. And if I just count the time frame when your sales team is online...well, it's been a long time after that too. I wonder if you guys got my query or not...or maybe no one had a chance to look at it.
    Saibal, we would have answered by now if we received it. Did you send an email? We can be reached via our contact form, PM, MSN, or email.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    Saibal, we would have answered by now if we received it. Did you send an email? We can be reached via our contact form, PM, MSN, or email.
    I sent it via the contact us form on your site. Do I need to resend?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Saibal View Post
    I sent it via the contact us form on your site. Do I need to resend?
    If you don't mind, please submit it again.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    Sent a pm and sent the same thing through your site's contact form again.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    One thing which is bothering me is that everytime I contact volumedrive support with a question which may seem silly to them (because I can tell I am asking a silly question), I don't get replies. But if I ask something which is more important, then they reply promptly (and I mean promptly).

    I have no issues in saying I ask silly questions at times. But, isn't a top notch support team one which answers those silly questions with the same professionalism as the more important ones?

    If required, I can copy/paste my emails here. But I must say, it is slightly frustrating for a would-be customer to have their emails unanswered!

    Edit: Just to clarify, this is the second time this happened. First time the email was not answered. And this time I have been waiting for a few hours (can't tell exactly how many because of time zone differences)!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Saibal View Post
    One thing which is bothering me is that everytime I contact volumedrive support with a question which may seem silly to them (because I can tell I am asking a silly question), I don't get replies. But if I ask something which is more important, then they reply promptly (and I mean promptly).

    I have no issues in saying I ask silly questions at times. But, isn't a top notch support team one which answers those silly questions with the same professionalism as the more important ones?

    If required, I can copy/paste my emails here. But I must say, it is slightly frustrating for a would-be customer to have their emails unanswere
    Edit: Just to clarify, this is the second time this happened. First time the email was not answered. And this time I have been waiting for a few hours (can't tell exactly how many because of time zone differences)!
    Saibal,

    Just to clarify, you are using our support email for a sales inquiry. We do try to answer all sales emails promptly which you have noted. A tech will not answer a sales inquiry forwarded to support, and therefore needs to re-assign it to someone in sales might be why you see a delay sometimes. But this in no way at all reflects support turn-around. I do not feel any question is necessarily "silly"...

    You have noted that your original inquiry never came through, so I would not count that as unanswered.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    I am not talking about the original query.

    Yesterday I asked about whether you guys had a money back option or not. I had not found it on the site so I asked for it. I never got a reply for at least 35 minutes. Then, I looked more carefully and found it in your terms of usage. And I sent off an email to your support that I had got it and there was no need to reply to the previous email. Inside 11 minutes I got a reply.

    Today, a few hours back, I asked something more. Well, no reply till now. I can understand the delay now that you point out the fact that your contact us form sends data to the other email.

    My point being - this is the second time not counting the initial query. If someone had just told me in all those emails that I was contacting the wrong people, then it wouldn't have led to this miscommunication. I just noticed the email addresses on the home page of your site. I was using your contact page form. It says "sales / general queries". So, that is what is misleading. If it sends emails to your support rather than sales, you should rectify that.

  24. #24
    If you use the contact form it will not send it to support, rather the general info mail box. Regardless, I am looking for you email now and will follow up.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

  25. #25
    SoftLayer is out of his budget by FAR, their servers start at $130+

    VolumeDrive would be good for you with a upgraded port speed (to 100Mbit), but keep the transfer throttled @ 3300GB, just incase your site gets alot of hits at once.

    Also if you are looking for even cheaper servers, you could look @ burst.net (their resellers are even cheaper) or corenetworks.net

  26. #26
    Hi guys i need a seedbox... i can pay $35~45 for a dedicate server for torrent... i dont need stay 24h seed in 4mb/s, i just need something to stay my ratio uper then 1.0 and download from my dedicated server what he download from my tracker

    first i was buy this: ovh.co.uk/products/kimsufi.xml but a friend say: Ovh dont acept clint from Brazil.

    so i need so dedicated server... some one have idea???

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Saibal View Post
    I am not talking about the original query.

    Yesterday I asked about whether you guys had a money back option or not. I had not found it on the site so I asked for it. I never got a reply for at least 35 minutes. Then, I looked more carefully and found it in your terms of usage. And I sent off an email to your support that I had got it and there was no need to reply to the previous email. Inside 11 minutes I got a reply.

    Today, a few hours back, I asked something more. Well, no reply till now. I can understand the delay now that you point out the fact that your contact us form sends data to the other email.

    My point being - this is the second time not counting the initial query. If someone had just told me in all those emails that I was contacting the wrong people, then it wouldn't have led to this miscommunication. I just noticed the email addresses on the home page of your site. I was using your contact page form. It says "sales / general queries". So, that is what is misleading. If it sends emails to your support rather than sales, you should rectify that.
    When I was ordering my VolumeDrive server, I got a response about 3 minutes after sending my first presales email, I then proceeded to have a 5 email conversation with their sales before signing up, being invoiced and paying. The whole procedure took no more than an hour...

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    814
    Yur budget of $80 is way too low. I got a friend who has been searching for a 64 bit mahine w/ w2k3 enterprise on it, and i have been searching up and down and can't find a box anywheres in that price range with our without Windows.

    Your safe budget is going to need to be like $115 to include everything.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    If you use the contact form it will not send it to support, rather the general info mail box. Regardless, I am looking for you email now and will follow up.
    Thanks. I got the reply.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    83
    Cari has lots of network outages supposedly, so be careful
    <- myusername dot com is not a link to sites or images containing pornography, sexually explicit, gross violence, warez etc.

  31. #31
    Many thanks to people who suggested volumedrive, i was skeptical at first with their bandwidth offer for the pricetag but in the end we got an X2 4200, 4gig, dual 160gig, directadmin and 100mbit with 3tb/mo in our budget (ok, small setup fee, around 100$) but they have been great. At first we were on an overloaded switch but they fixed that same day (checked and admitted to the issue within 7minutes of emailing them about it!) and now all is going well.

    Honestly the network could be faster, it seems like it might be a little more oversold than i'm used to but the support is good and for the pricetag it really is worth the money! I can't complain and i love the service and support so far. just my 2c on these guys

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •