Where to find a stable DNS Hosting api service?

We are thinking to offer a subdomain shopping cart website service.
    For example, people can register as "sudomains.cart.com"

We don't want to manage the DNS ourself.
    We want to outsource the dns part as we once host our dns on everydns.net or xname.org. But we have to login everydns.net or xname.org to create a subdomain which is registered by our visitors.
    It's too troublesome.

So we hope we can create the DNS subdomains record by passing value to some dns hosting's API without login hosting's panel.

Is there any DNS hosting provide good api service?
    I only can find a related webpage about this:
    https://www.worldwidedns.net/home.asp
    But the price is too expensive to us, our goal is to create 3000+ subdomains.
    We need a cheap or free dns hosting api.

Anyone can recommend us some providers?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by mark0168; 03-24-2008 at 09:02 AM.

If the shopping carts are all going to be on 1 server, you can always just do a wild domain

*.cart.com with a DNS service, which will point any subdomain to a certain ip.

Then if you have multiple servers, you can always just buy more domains that are branded or etc, to be dedicated to a certain server.

Thats a diffrent thought for ya, but i am not aware of a service with that kind of API.

I know the system i use, which is a mix of PowerDns and PowerAdmin, can do that by just simple mysql changes, but you would have to run your own servers (which a couple of vps's around the globe would be all ya need)

Thanks for your reply, EvilMan.

We indeed plan to have some servers and hope not to build our own dns server.

If we can't find any affordable api provider, we will try to have our own DNS server even though we don't like to manage DNS.

Most DNS services will let you configure a domain to be a slave. This means that they pull the zone (dns records) from a master.

You can run the master server on one of your boxes, and have your DNS provider pull it to keep it in sync. The master would actually send update notifications when you make a change.

Technically, this would require you to run a DNS server, but it would not have to be a production server. It could be setup so that all of the public DNS queries only hit your DNS provider. This way you have a very simple and reliable update mechanism.
    Tranquil Hosting

A little late

This is a little late, but here you go:

1) A wildcard is absolutely the easiest. Not all DNS folks will do this through the their interface, often requires a ticket. Some accept it. Drawback is as described above, you are stuck with 1 IP.

2) If you need more IPs for balancing, or need to register completely different domain names (which is what we hit - because customers quickly asked for their own domain names), then you need an API...

We didn't like any of the API options out there and thought it was too expensive for what it is. We found easy open-source DNS software where the data is stored in MySQL... They have a PHP interface, so we quickly built our own little "API" in PHP so that our software calls the DNS server (hosted elsewhere on cheap hosting) and inserts new records directly into the database.

The set up took about 4 hours, but it's been running strong ever since. Let me know if you want more details on this solution.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
    We found easy open-source DNS software where the data is stored in MySQL... They have a PHP interface, so we quickly built our own little "API" in PHP so that our software calls the DNS server
    Which open-source DNS system did you use, and do you contribute teh API back to them ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
    The set up took about 4 hours, but it's been running strong ever since. Let me know if you want more details on this solution.
    Cheers.
    Yes, I do want to know more details about this.
    The problem still remains till now.
    I will appreciate for your kindness to share this solution with me.

This has to be the slowest response known to man. Sorry guys.

I use MyDNSConfig. Do a google search for it. I've had it in production for about 16 months now, no issues. Works great.

All DNS entries are in a MYSQL database and the config is all php (web) front end. The thing I like about it is that you can script you own DNS entry insertions very easy in PHP. I set up a little script that allows incoming insertions from a select few IP address with a pre-shared key and puts the entries right into the DNS database.

No issues. Been very happy with is. Hope that helps.

thank you all for advice.
    I have stayed with durabledns.com last year.
    The service fee is affordable for me now.
    I don't plan to build my own dns server so far.
    It's troublesome.

You might want to check out

www.3rdpartydns.com

Quote Originally Posted by webpromo View Post
    You might want to check out

www.3rdpartydns.com
    lol, we're on there.. didn't even know about that site.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.