Need a solution for web hosting and file hosting

This may get kind of complicated because I was thinking about separating my two needs to two different companies.

1) Web server to host my websites - nothing big, few PHP pages, my portfolio - max 2gb space, not much traffic. needs 4-5 addon domains and fantastico as i like to play with the latest scripts that come out. I'm currently with AddAction but as of late, I have been having lots of trouble uploading files through FTP with dropped connections and stuff. Been with them for a long time now but too many problems lately. Don't want to go with an overseller here. Email is hosted with Google Apps so no need for that necessarily. Was thinking about going with MediaLayer. Good choice for this or no?

2) Large file space to share my video and design work on. Needs to have a larger file space - not too large, but a decent size would be nice. 5+ GB preferred. Needs bandwidth obviously - for the files to be downloaded sometimes as many as 500 times (not the full 5GB, but maybe a few hundred MB x 500). Just need straight FTP access to drop files and have them be available to lots of people at high speeds. Need a suggestion for a service like this here. Can be a overseller as I don't care about these files too much, but downtime is an issue if I have something that's a hot item and all of a sudden they cancel my account for getting too much traffic or something like that which they have been known to do. Here the more file space the better - could use it as a mozy backup service of sorts too if the space is right for a cheap price.
    Last edited by AJPatel; 03-24-2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: .

1) I can't comment on MediaLayer, but if you want a host that is not overselling and provides high quality hosting, look for companies who have reasonable plans (NOT promising 1000000gb bandwidth and 10000gb disk space for $2 a year) with a reasonable price. You can find such hosting for less than $20 a month by just searching these forums. Also look for a host than can provide something extra like better-than-average SPAM or Backup solutions.

2) If unexpected downtime is a deal breaker, same advice as in section 1 - look for a quality host. If downtime once in a while is not an issue, your options are endless.
    SceneGroup.net - Providing a better web hosting experience since 2001
    Shared Web Hosting, VPS, Managed VPS, Dedicated Servers and Managed Dedicated Servers

www.scenegroup.net

You will find many hosts on here who cater to certain areas of hosting, I would suggest doing some homework before getting set on one host. You can ultimately do a search on these forums with the hosts name and find good/bad reviews, and general information/knowledge about them.

Alot of hosts do not allow strict file hosting, so I would really suggest doing homework here and read the hosts terms of service and make sure it is allowed.

Whats your sort of buget for the first and second part of your hosting needs ? with this we will be able to give you a better idea.
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

Take a look at the offerings of versaweb.com who offer all the space you need on fast and dependable servers, with a cpanel version that offers a webdisk
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

I think it is better to have both websites/businesses in one account. This will save you money and time. It would be a quality VPS or budget dedicated server. You'd probably need to spend $30 - $40 on VPS or around $100 for server.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Welcome to Wht,
    Total you need more than 7 GB space. You can select a big plan like 10 gb or 15 GB. It will cost you $ 50 to $ 70 per year for 10 Gb and $ 60 to $ 80 / Year.

Please ask for demo to your hosts for the same. Sometimes its happen that you purchase that much space and there is no speed then it is not worth.

Thank you,
    Nicholas P.
    Domain and Webspace Reseller and Shared Hosting Experts
    www.HostAvail.com

Quote Originally Posted by dreamwiz View Post
    1) I can't comment on MediaLayer, but if you want a host that is not overselling and provides high quality hosting, look for companies who have reasonable plans (NOT promising 1000000gb bandwidth and 10000gb disk space for $2 a year) with a reasonable price. You can find such hosting for less than $20 a month by just searching these forums. Also look for a host than can provide something extra like better-than-average SPAM or Backup solutions.

2) If unexpected downtime is a deal breaker, same advice as in section 1 - look for a quality host. If downtime once in a while is not an issue, your options are endless.
    1) yes, I know. That's why I'm with AddAction and not one of these 1and1 or DreamHost type companies. there are too many threads on these forums to find anything of use to me - either they are too specific or there are just too many general ones to browse through. so this thread is meant for people to give their opinions to me.

2) unexpected downtime for the file server is not a huge deal if it is for a short period of time. 45 minutes a month is 99.5% - i could even deal with say it being 97%. no biggie. as long as it's not down all together for those 4.5 hours, and that time is spread over the month, I don't care.
    Last edited by AJPatel; 03-24-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: fs

Quote Originally Posted by saintagex View Post
    You will find many hosts on here who cater to certain areas of hosting, I would suggest doing some homework before getting set on one host. You can ultimately do a search on these forums with the hosts name and find good/bad reviews, and general information/knowledge about them.

Alot of hosts do not allow strict file hosting, so I would really suggest doing homework here and read the hosts terms of service and make sure it is allowed.
    Yes, I do my homework before choosing a host. Join Date: Mar 2003
    Back then AddAction was highly recommended by this board and I've liked their service for 5 years now but it's beginning to dip so just want to get some current opinions from the users of this board. I have done searches for a lot of the popular ones and it seems MediaLayer is the new popular host of quality right now. That's why I had suggested it.

the one area you may run into problems with is the file hosting part of the equation.

most hosts frown on having their machines used solely for this purpose. a common practice on the host's part is to require that the files hosted be linked from a page on your site (that's on their server).

with that in mind, i would definitely speak with whatever hosts you take a look at and make sure that what you are planning to do is ok with them. it'll save you from having problems down the line.

or, you can always risk it and wing it and see what happens. i did something similar a couple of years back with netfirms (with their $10/year 'MAX' deal) and didn't have any problems pushing 60-70gb of strictly files per month.

i know you had mentioned being apprehensive about using a host like dreamhost, etc but hosts of that ilk are probably going to be your best bet - at least for the file hosting side of the equation.

good luck with your search!

Quote Originally Posted by amdcomms View Post
    Whats your sort of buget for the first and second part of your hosting needs ? with this we will be able to give you a better idea.
    right now i host with addaction and get 2gb disk space/50gb bandwidth and unlimited everything else for about $7.50 a month

so if i'm separating the 2 parts, i'd like to pay a little less for the first part because i really have no need for anything stellar on the web hosting aspect - just something with a little space that's up and can serve up my scripts. for the second part i understand I should be paying a little more.

so if my total came out to be $15-20 per month for both solutions it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    Take a look at the offerings of versaweb.com who offer all the space you need on fast and dependable servers, with a cpanel version that offers a webdisk
    not bad - do you have experience with them? do they oversell? seems like a lot of space and bandwidth
    Last edited by AJPatel; 03-24-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    I think it is better to have both websites/businesses in one account. This will save you money and time. It would be a quality VPS or budget dedicated server. You'd probably need to spend $30 - $40 on VPS or around $100 for server.
    that's kind of out of my budget unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by hostavail View Post
    Welcome to Wht,
    Total you need more than 7 GB space. You can select a big plan like 10 gb or 15 GB. It will cost you $ 50 to $ 70 per year for 10 Gb and $ 60 to $ 80 / Year.

Please ask for demo to your hosts for the same. Sometimes its happen that you purchase that much space and there is no speed then it is not worth.

Thank you,
    thanks for the approx. price range and the suggestion. i will try it with versaweb after some research

Quote Originally Posted by 5024646
    so if my total came out to be $15-20 per month for both solutions it would be perfect.

Not likely... but it all depends on how much you want to use.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

I think your appraoch is not a bad one at all, and you should be able to find $10/month hosting to fit the needs for your small site. I'm not too sure about the no overselling part, given your space requirements, but "limited overselling" should be doable.

For the other one, one main issue is that "overselling hosts" as they are often called here, tend to ask for yearly payments, with a money back guarantee, but often with no refund after that, not even prorated. So, make sure your read the TOS carefully, and don't take any risks you can't afford.

Usage peaks can get you in trouble with a lot of hosts. I suggest you talk this out in detail with any host you're seriously considering, to see what kind of stress their environment has proved able to support in the past. Be mindful of sales talk.

Was thinking about going with MediaLayer. Good choice for this or no?
    They seem out of your budget considering your space requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    Not likely... but it all depends on how much you want to use.
    saw your services - let's talk via pm

Quote Originally Posted by AJPatel View Post
    not bad - do you have experience with them? do they oversell? seems like a lot of space and bandwidth

Yes I have been hosting with them now for several months and am more than satisfied.

Anyone who offers unlimited space and bandwidth is by definition overselling, but the bottom line IMO is what the end results are.

It may be that later their servers will become more stressed but at the moment they are running at about 80% memory usage, no swap file usage and the quad Xenon processors are running at 2.9.

I have more than 30 sites hosted on my little reseller account, and there has never been a squawk though we are using 1,424 mb of disk space.
    Last edited by Melnel; 03-24-2008 at 07:29 PM.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London