Microsoft Exchange/Direct Push

I'm currently using Google Apps to Host my Email, and with the Treo 755p that I currently have as a mobile device, the email takes about 15/30 minutes to arrive to the device. I have been reading about Microsoft Direct Push and wondered if migrating my email to Exchange Hosting of some sort would show a noticeable difference
    Brett Meadors

I have noticed that using push email on a mobile device has a tendancy to slow the whole device down. I simply have my e-mail sent to my phone via text (forward incoming mail to 5552992999@yourprovider.net usually, or something similar)

This will "push" a text message to your phone and the contents will be the e-mail. There are obviously limitations. I manually check my e-mail accounts on my mobile device when an important push message comes thru.

This also relies upon having text messaging on your plan.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Well, I have considered that, I just tend to get a large number of emails that normally need my attention. I dont mind getting the emails in bulk every 15 minutes, but with my blackberry ,it was always nice to get them instantly, and I'd like the same with the treo.
    Brett Meadors

Quote Originally Posted by Brett M View Post
    Well, I have considered that, I just tend to get a large number of emails that normally need my attention. I dont mind getting the emails in bulk every 15 minutes, but with my blackberry ,it was always nice to get them instantly, and I'd like the same with the treo.
    You need this:

http://www.palm.com/us/software/chatteremail/

That looks awesome. Is it a seperate mail client or does it integrate into the Palm Mail Client?
    Brett Meadors

Ah, without the text messaging, I just set my phone to check for mail every 15 minutes, I can set it as frequent as every 1 minute or as long as once per day.

Not familiar with the Palm mail program.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Ah, without the text messaging, I just set my phone to check for mail every 15 minutes, I can set it as frequent as every 1 minute or as long as once per day.

Not familiar with the Palm mail program.
    that just tends to kill my battery though

chatteremail is great, I use it for everything!

It is a separate app that integrates with Palm mail features directly, it does not uninstall or replace Versamail though.

I use my Palm Treo(Sprint) with our exchange servers and I get email instantly.

Regards,

I tried searching for some exchange hosts and didnt have a ton of luck. Anyone have a list?
    Brett Meadors

Hi Brett,

You need a provider that has Motorola good mobile messaging system to have similar affects as Blackberry enterprise server.

Good mobile integrates with Exchange.

you will have to check with the motorola good mobile messaging site to see if your device is supported.

Hopefully that helps

Agreed. I used ChatterMail when I was still using Palm devices (I now use a BB/iPhone). It's a decent app.

Something else to consider is IMAP IDLE on the mailserver side.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    chatteremail is great, I use it for everything!

It is a separate app that integrates with Palm mail features directly, it does not uninstall or replace Versamail though.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett M View Post
    I have been reading about Microsoft Direct Push and wondered if migrating my email to Exchange Hosting of some sort would show a noticeable difference
    I set up Exchange and Direct Push to Tytn II mobiles for a small non-profit organisation.

The emails do come in immediately but it was a pig to set up - I needed to get an SSL certificate and then spent ages on forums finding the right boxes to tick in the server configuration. When it works it works nicely but I still get support calls for people having trouble with obscure error messages in ActiveSync.

If you don't need additional features of Exchange like the calendars, stick with Google Mail - or Google Apps if you want to use a domain name.

It's an interesting email culture thing that people want to know the moment an email has arrived and read it

Surely not a great hardship to "pull" email in (send/receive) when you want to read them?

Well - consider some people live/die by e-mail (i.e. systems admins/tech support reps) -- true push e-mail (ActiveSync is NOT true push e-mail) is pretty much a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post
    I set up Exchange and Direct Push to Tytn II mobiles for a small non-profit organisation.

The emails do come in immediately but it was a pig to set up - I needed to get an SSL certificate and then spent ages on forums finding the right boxes to tick in the server configuration. When it works it works nicely but I still get support calls for people having trouble with obscure error messages in ActiveSync.

If you don't need additional features of Exchange like the calendars, stick with Google Mail - or Google Apps if you want to use a domain name.

It's an interesting email culture thing that people want to know the moment an email has arrived and read it

Surely not a great hardship to "pull" email in (send/receive) when you want to read them?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru View Post
    Well - consider some people live/die by e-mail (i.e. systems admins/tech support reps) -- true push e-mail (ActiveSync is NOT true push e-mail) is pretty much a requirement.
    Fair point that some people need them immediately but it's funny how we all seem to

I appreciate ActiveSync is NOT true push e-mail - but part of the frustration of configuring Microsoft environments.