Issues powering up laptop..bad power supply?

I recently inherited a laptop (HP Pavilion, AMD 64 x2 Mobile Technology, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Windows XP SP2) which works beautifully once it's powered up. However, getting it to power up sometimes takes a while.

I will press the power button (power cord plugged in, battery correctly inserted in slot and usually at 100% full as I rarely have the need to use the battery alone), everything will light up as it should, I can hear the "gears" powering up...and then the lights all go out and come back on. This will repeat two or three times, until I force the laptop to completely shut down. Eventually the laptop will power up normally, and I have no problems after that - no overheating, interruptions, etc.

I thought it might be a problem with the battery, but removing the battery and booting up with just the A/C adapter makes no difference. I reversed it, using just the battery to power up, with no change.

I'm stumped here. Anything else I can check or is this laptop shot?
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

is there a loose connection or some stuck keys?
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

A loose connection where? To the power supply?

As far as the keys, none of them stick as far as I can tell; all appear to work normally.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>