Switched Hosts - Domain Questions

Last year I purchased hosting, 2 years prepaid, which included a domain name. After being moved to the hosts "new" platform at the beginning of this month my site was unusable so I switched to Steadfast Networks. My domain name is registered at Tucows, and I was able to access my control panel and switch to the new nameservers. I'm waiting to cancel my hosting account with the old host because I've read some very recent reviews (not here) stating that they have canceled domains after the auth key is requested.

The admin contact on the domain is my husband, and I changed the technical contact to myself, as well as changing the password. I had planned on contacting Tucows to see if I could just use one of their other resellers, as I really don't see any reason to switch to a new registrar, and i don't want my old host to have any access what so ever. I ended up not contacting Tucows because their contact form automatically fowards a copy to the RSP, which defeats the purpose of trying to get this all done without giving them a chance to interfere.

I really don't know an awful lot about domain registration, is it possible to stay with the same registrar but switch RSP's? Or do I have to transfer my domain name to a new registrar? If I have to transfer, will it affect the availability of my site even with the nameservers pointing to the right place? If I've already changed my password to the Tucows account, can the RSP I'm trying to get away from still access it and make changes?

Thanks!

I don't understand why you need an authorization key.
    You only need an authorization key if you are going to move to a registrar other than Tucows.

Is the control panel for your domain at Tucows or still at your old webhost?

Quote Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
    I don't understand why you need an authorization key.
    You only need an authorization key if you are going to move to a registrar other than Tucows.

Is the control panel for your domain at Tucows or still at your old webhost?
    If I can just switch to a different Tucows Registration Service Provider, then I don't need an Auth Key. I cannot, however, find any way to contact Tucows regarding this because the only means of contacting them is via a form which automatically forwards a copy of the inquiry to my current RSP. I do not want my current RSP, which happens to be the webhost i also want to cancel, to know that I am trying to switch away from them, as they have recent reviews of canceling the domains of customers that cancel their webhosting services.

I do have access to the control panel at Tucows, and have already changed the nameservers, account password, and technical contact. I cannot edit the RSP information. What I want to know is if I can somehow keep the registration with Tucows, but switch to a different Tucows reseller without tipping off the current reseller before it's done, thereby minimizing any chance that they can cancel the domain.

I understand that it may seem convoluted, but I've had a very acrimonious relationship with the current RSP/hosting company. They have already once changed all the usernames and passwords to my hosting account and pointed my domain to a non existent account over support problems, so I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't cancel my domain if they knew I was trying to switch away from them.

I'm not sure how your ex-host can "cancel the domain" when it is paid for. They have no legal right to do so.

Anyway, http://services.tucows.com/

Thanks ieee488!

Perhaps someone can tell me if the current Registration Service Provider can still access and make changes to my domain if I have changed the password and technical contact information from what it was when the domain name was registered.

Quote Originally Posted by mcloud View Post
    Thanks ieee488!

Perhaps someone can tell me if the current Registration Service Provider can still access and make changes to my domain if I have changed the password and technical contact information from what it was when the domain name was registered.
    I'm not exactly sure how Tucows reseller accounts work but I know of other domain reseller account that have full access to their clients domain. If I were you, I play safe and transfer to another reputable registrar. If transferring within Tucows resellers can be done and allowed, you still got to make sure it' a reliable one. I'll cut that and transfer to another registrar altogether.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime