Urecoverable domain name at Enom

In July 2005, I did register a .net domain name through Bliksemhosting when I started using their hosting services.

In July 2006, after a delayed renewal of the domain name (that was supposed to be automatic) I decided to pay for 2 more years (2006 + 1 + 2 = 2009) just to avoid susch problems.

Bliksemhosting, as you may know,is now defunct (just search this forum for "Bliksemhosting" if you haven't heard). The operators of this company just disapeared December 2006 leaving me (and the rest of their customers) without any means to transfer my data or my domain. My data was backed up but I have not managed since then to get hold of my domain name since then.

- Enom who is the registrar used by Bliksemhosting, initially said that I should contact ModernGigabyte that were "the parent company for Bliksemhosting".

- ModernGigagyte asked for ID documents which I did provide and said that they would ask Enom to push this domain to me.

- Then Enom said that the whois protection that was in place prevented them from transfering the account to me.

- So I thought I would wait till the whois protection ends (Aug 14, 2007).

- But even after the whois protection ended Enom says that Bliksemhosting are listed as the registered owner of the domain, so they cannot handle it to me and that I should seek legal council. Still when this domain was registered Bliksemhosting provided me with an user name and password with which I could login to the Enom site and see the details of my registered domain name. And before signing in for the whois protection service (in 2005) my name was listed as the owner of the domain and exposed to any whois lookup.

I really can't see why Enom are not willing to give access to this domain back to me, as I was listed as the owner.

Needless to say I really find this situation painful. More than a year has passed since then and I am really disappointed. Starting a legal procedure seems very distant to me (live in Athens, Greece and I wouldn't be prepared to spent the time and money that it would amount to)

Could anyone offer some idea or advice on this problem?

Thanks in advance

You should still be able to login to your domain with your password at access.enom.com and change the domain contacts back to yourself. Or login to your eNom username and change the info there.
    Signature Under Construction.

Hi,
    That's what I first thought when bliksemhosting went down, but soon I discovered my account was somehow locked. Then I was instructed by Enom to create a new account where the domain would be transfered but then again they said they coulnd't do it.

Here are some of the messages I have received from Enom and from ModernGigabyte for whoever ants to read:

Messages received from Enom support staff:

--
    Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 1:05 AM
    As your reseller is no longer in business, please send an email to our [email protected] department - they can help you sort this out. Please be prepared to provide photo ID (such a drivers license or passport) if the email address on your domain is no longer valid (for identification).
    In the meantime, you might want to open your own account at www.enomcentral.com (your domain will not be there just yet). This will start the process so that we can eventually get the domain into your own account for management and/or renewal.
    --

Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:17 AM
    The domain name does appear to be active. The domain has the WHOIS blocked so we are unable to verify domain ownership. Moderngigabyte as the parent company of the domain will be able to provide you with access if their reseller is no longer in business.
    --

Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:34 AM
    After reviewing your account and the situation with your domain, this domain is unrecoverable. The reason for that being is that the WhoIs information listed for your domain, which acts kind of like a title for a car, is protected by a WhoIs Protection plan setup by Blisemhosting. Our original intention was for you to create an account with us, eNom, and have the parent company of Bliksemhosting, ModernGigabyte, either change the WhoIs information or push the domain to your account. This is not possible because ModernGigabyte, for whatever reason, does not have access to the Bliksemhosting account to make the necessary changes. We, eNom, are unable to do anything as the WhoIs information that we have wouldn't match up with any ID or Articles of Business that you would be able to provide us. So since the information doesn't match up and ModerGigabyte is unable to make the necessary changes, leaves this domain unrecoverable. I can only suggest that you find and register a domain name very similar to this.
    I'm terribly sorry that it took so long just to get this type of answer, however if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    --

>Customer 07/11/2007 04:50 AM
    As you can see from the here attached older e-mails, I have previously registered through now defunct Bliksemhosting the domain name that you said was unrecoverable because of the whois protection.

So I was thinking that if and when the whois protection subscription ends it will possible for to verify that i am the owner of the domain.
    As you can see in the attached order confirmation e-mail that I received a year ago the whois protection should be about to end.

>Response 07/11/2007 12:43 PM Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. After further investigation in to this issue. While the ID protect will expire on Aug 14, the contact information for the domain will still show Bliksemhosting as the registered owner for the domain. Basically, you have to get a hold of Bliksemhosting if you want this domain otherwise, if they are unreachable you will want to find a new domain to register or seek legal council.

>Customer 07/11/2007 03:22 PM Hi Gabriel,

I don't know what to say... Back in January you said that it was the whois protection that prevented you from giving me back control of my domain. And I remember that before applying for the whois protection service (14-8-2005) my own name and data were being listed as the domain owner.

I have contacted again ModernGigabyte today since you said that they are the parent company of Bliksemhosting to ask for their help again. I am still waitng for their response but please tell me: are they able to handle Bliksemhosting issues with eNOM like mine?

>Response 07/13/2007 03:46 PM Hello,

I'm sorry I may have given some misleading information or I may have misread the information I had for the domain, it was a while ago and I don't recall. I don't think ModernGigabyte would be able to help, but it's atleast worth asking, the worst you could receive is a 'no'. If they aren't able to help you still have some options. You might procure the website by seeking legal council and trademarking your domain name may also prove to be beneficial. While it may be a couple years, when the domain expires you can try to reclaim the domain when it's made available for public purchase. While we can't help directly, I hope the information I've provided helps you and makes up in some way for some of the misinformation I gave last time.

... and ModernGigabyte's messages:

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:43 PM

We are going to push your domain into your own account, but we will need to verify your ownership first.
    Please provide one of the following for verification purposes:
    Please fax a copy of the following document to our office:
    1. Photo ID Our fax number is .
    or
    2. Send an email from to moderndns.
    Please post back once this verification step is complete.
    --

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:41 PM
    Subject: WOR-84315 Modern DNS
    Modern DNS

I have contacted eNom on your behalf and still waiting for a reply. I will contact you as soon as I receive a response.

--

After that I received a few more messages saying they are waiting for Enom to slove the situation and then they stopped responding. My support ticket vanished and an a new one that I filed was never answered.

did you try logging in to http://access.enom.com using your domain name and your old eNom account password?

did you ask eNom to unblock your old account?

Yes, I did try logging in. A lot of times actually and in vain. I also tried again before replying here. It says the password is wrong and having the system email it doesn't produce a mail that reaches me.

Sorry to hear of your problem, things like this are a nightmare - a lesson for others, be extremely careful of where you register your domains and ensure that domains are registered by you in your name rather than 'on your behalf'.

Quote Originally Posted by a_system View Post
    Yes, I did try logging in. A lot of times actually and in vain. I also tried again before replying here. It says the password is wrong and having the system email it doesn't produce a mail that reaches me.
    Its a really sad state of affairs when someone loses a domain name.

Unfortunately, once a domain is delete from a registrar or you lose complete control of it like in this case, it almost impossible to retrieve it, and I know this from personal experience.

Stu has a good list somewhere where he clearly lists to NEVER register a domain with your host. It almost always turns into a disaster.

The best thing for you to do now is to register a new name and be 100% sure that the email works or at least all the domain contact info are in your legal name where you can prove it with a legal document.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

What did eNom say when you asked them to unblock your account?

Quote Originally Posted by grandad View Post
    .. be extremely careful of where you register your domains and ensure that domains are registered by you in your name rather than 'on your behalf'.

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    ... NEVER register a domain with your host. It almost always turns into a disaster.
    This lesson I have learnt.
    But look what's happened: a small company (Bliksemhosting) a lot of people trust (it is here I first read about Bliksemhosting) turns out to be a fraud. And nothing I can do about it.
    And a huge company (Enom) that turns out to be unhelpful or unwilling or unable to help. And nothing I can do about it.
    - Why can't Enom help me?
    - Don't they have lists where my name is listed? (I didn't fail to provide identity proof)
    - Who runs this Whois service that has locked my data out of sight?
    - And what has become of all the accounts and data and affairs of Bliksemhosting?
    - Is/was ModernGigabyte Bliksemhosting's "parent company"? Why can't they at least help Bliksemhosting customers out of such situations?
    -And finally isn't there some organization where I could ask for my problem to be examined?

What really frustrates me is that there should be some solution to this other than starting a (probably costly) legal proccedure.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    What did eNom say when you asked them to unblock your account?
    Enom's last statement was this one:
    Response 07/13/2007 03:46 PM Hello,
    I'm sorry I may have given some misleading information or I may have misread the information I had for the domain, it was a while ago and I don't recall. I don't think ModernGigabyte would be able to help, but it's atleast worth asking, the worst you could receive is a 'no'. If they aren't able to help you still have some options. You might procure the website by seeking legal council and trademarking your domain name may also prove to be beneficial. While it may be a couple years, when the domain expires you can try to reclaim the domain when it's made available for public purchase. While we can't help directly, I hope the information I've provided helps you and makes up in some way for some of the misinformation I gave last time.

That's talking about your domain. It's not referring to them unblocking your account. You're account details are separate from your whois info at eNom. If you are doing a lost password at www.enom.com (not access.enom.com) then the email should go to the account holder (you) unless your reseller has changed that info too.

Do you have proof the whois was once in your name? If not, you might want to try http://domain-history.domaintools.com/ to see if they have a copy of your whois. The free trial requires you to signup with your credit card, but even a 1 month service might be invaluable. Maybe even someone here might already be a member and could help out.

Me thinks it might be time for you to send eNom a lawyer's letter.

Gold Membership for Hosting History
    30.00 (save 20%) monthly
    $292.50 (save 32%) yearly...

so ex... looking for cheaper or free one... any?

You get a free trial at DT. My understanding of their free trial is you have to sign up and then cancel your subscription. There is only DT which provide this domain whois history lookup.

When I am trying to log in to www.enom.com, I get an "Invalid UserID or Password." message. If I do a lost password here, I get asked about my city of birth, a question that (when answered correctly) leads me to the following message: "Account does not match the site or is not in good standing."
    This last message is that I understand as 'locked". So in this part I can not get the system to email me a password. (My mail address still stands)

I entered domaintools.com, created an account, activated the gold trial (payment via Paypal) and I got access to 3 records regarding my domain:
    2006-07-23, under Whois protection
    2007-01-04, under Whois protection
    2008-01-16, Bliksemhosting is listed as administrative,tech and Registrant contact. -- Does this mean someone at some point has tranfered the domain without my permission?

I don't have proof whois was once in my name. I remember that a few weeks after registering at Bliksemhosting and getting the domain I discovered that my information was exposed and signed for the whois protection. But have the full history of messages (emails) received from Bliksemhosting as well as the matching paypal and mastercard billing history. [The domain was first registered 2005-07-20 and whois protection 2005-08-14.]

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Me thinks it might be time for you to send eNom a lawyer's letter.
    Could you recommend or point to such a service and/or give an indication of what the cost might be?

Hi a_system,

This may sound really daft, so apologies if it has been suggested already.

You obviously have the original invoice you paid with the hosting provider (ie not a free domain and clearly shows a payment for the domain xyz.net)?

You have the cc statement proving payment went through?

You also have the renewal invoices and cc statements, or however paid?

This is enough proof of "technical" ownership of the domain, you have paid for it, and can prove it, therefore, use ICANN against eNom, read this, >> xxx.icann.org/dndr/udrp/policy.htm

Regards,
    Chris

replace xxx with you know what!
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, http://reseller.netearthone.com
    SSLReseller - WHMCS SSL module now released into BETA www.sslreseller.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

Quote Originally Posted by netearth View Post
    Hi a_system,

This may sound really daft, so apologies if it has been suggested already.

You obviously have the original invoice you paid with the hosting provider (ie not a free domain and clearly shows a payment for the domain xyz.net)?

You have the cc statement proving payment went through?

You also have the renewal invoices and cc statements, or however paid?

This is enough proof of "technical" ownership of the domain, you have paid for it, and can prove it, therefore, use ICANN against eNom, read this, >> xxx.icann.org/dndr/udrp/policy.htm

Regards,
    Chris

replace xxx with you know what!
    ICANN will not get involved in disputes of this nature, pointless going to them, they just set out how disputes are dealt with.

Enom is in the position that, for whatever reason, ownership of the domain has been transferred to a company that is now in liquidation.
    As far as Enom are concerned that company, or its 'executor', is the registered owner of the domain name - who is Enom to arbitrarily decide to give the domain name to someone else?
    Why should they decide that it belongs to you and not the registered owner?
    If Enom give the domain to you someone might pop up from the company or its 'executor' and say, "Hey that's mine, I'm going to sue you!".
    It's a pig but a lawyer is likely to be your only option, Enom needs a 'get-out' to give you the domain and that is either permission of the company or its executor, or a court order.
    In years past domain owners have been crying out for something like this because of the ease with which domains were stolen - unfortunatley sometimes things have a habit of turning around and biting you.

Quote Originally Posted by a_system
    When I am trying to log in to www.enom.com, I get an "Invalid UserID or Password." message. If I do a lost password here, I get asked about my city of birth, a question that (when answered correctly) leads me to the following message: "Account does not match the site or is not in good standing."
    This last message is that I understand as 'locked". So in this part I can not get the system to email me a password. (My mail address still stands)
    It's probably flogging a dead horse.. but you might ask eNom why the account is not in good standing, and try to fix that.

Also. Just in case there was some misunderstanding between www.enom.com and http://access.enom.com, You did try your password at http://access.enom.com too?

I don't have proof whois was once in my name. I remember that a few weeks after registering at Bliksemhosting and getting the domain I discovered that my information was exposed and signed for the whois protection. But have the full history of messages (emails) received from Bliksemhosting as well as the matching paypal and mastercard billing history. [The domain was first registered 2005-07-20 and whois protection 2005-08-14.]
    The only other suggestion I have is to ask to escalate it to a supervisor and provide them proof with these emails.

Could you recommend or point to such a service and/or give an indication of what the cost might be?
    Ok. It probably is going to cost you $xxx to get a regular lawyer to write to eNom on your behalf and you will need to be directly involved in telling them what to do/write. It's probably going to cost you $x,xxx to get a domain lawyer to get this domain back.

I have 1 other (last resort) suggestion. which is to PM user MrZippy and refer him to this thread, and ask for his help. He is an experience eNom ETP and has experience in these kind of problems. He may or may not be able to help.