Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,149

    Many "Pentium 4 1.5Ghz Offers"

    I recently came back to take a look at the dedicated offers and noticed alot of providers offering similar packages.

    A budget package many are advertising consists of :

    Pentium4 1.5Ghz
    2TB Bandwidth, with an option to upgrade to 10mbps unmetered for a few bucks.

    I'm just wondering, who are these people reselling from?
    And is it a reliable source?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,601
    I dunno but personally we've had a lot of this generation stuff fail recently as its 3-4 years old. I just can't help feel that a low end new Dual Core core2duo would be quicker and more stable hardware. YMMV of course
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    That sounds like Saidcom.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,299
    It's Nocster's extended Valentines Day special.

    http://www.nocster.com/sale.shtml

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    322

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    "probably reused"
    they are bound to be reused or burst ordered too many pentiums!

    I wouldnt want an old P4 as a new box, especially something running and 1.5ghz. It will only fail on you and spending a couple more $ will get you something tidy.

    After all you could always go for VPS
    Damien

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Panopta View Post
    Looks like Burst.net servers, so their resellers are offering the same thing, for example Geekrack, Nocster and others. I'd agree to be somewhat wary - this is probably reused servers which might have a greater chance of failure than a newer machine.
    For those reading this, keep in mind that Nocster isn't a "reseller" of Burstnet. They're a subsidiary, which means that official Burstnet employees will be working on your server. This essentially means you have direct access to the company for upgrades, repairs, and information. If you do decide to go through a reseller, I cannot even begin to stress the importance of doing proper research. Many resellers do add on numerous amenities to add value to the product offering, like cPanel, or RVSkins. With that said, many times a reseller can only complicate issues, slow down communication, and as we've seen with some resellers, put your server offline.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nevada, US
    Posts
    5,433
    << which might have a greater chance of failure than a newer machine. >>

    Absolutely not the case...I would pick a tested and known working server any day of the week over a brand new one. Brand new servers have higher failure rates than known working hardware.

    The P4 1.5 is not for everyone. Comparing it as an option to a higher end server is pointless. People are buying these for a reason----because the are cheap. If they wanted something better, such as a newer Dual Core server, they would spend more money then---as we offer those options as well.
    .
    .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,955
    For those that have been in the business for a reasonable time, it's a must that a drive/card/server be tested for a couple of weeks before it's assigned to a user.

    It's also important to understand concepts like MTTF, MTBF, RDT, FRDT, etc. They put things in perspective.
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    "probably reused"
    they are bound to be reused or burst ordered too many pentiums!

    I wouldnt want an old P4 as a new box, especially something running and 1.5ghz. It will only fail on you and spending a couple more $ will get you something tidy.

    After all you could always go for VPS
    Just because it's used and you don't want it doesn't mean it'll fail. Besides, research shows new hardware is more likely to fail than tried and tested hardware.

    Also, just FYI, I just rented that cheap P4 for development purchases, and no, a VPS wouldn't work.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    If you arent using a server, to "serve" and using it as a test machine, then that is different.

    An old box put under load is going to have a higher chance of failure than a new box, or a box one year old.

    Considering 1.5Ghz P4's were launched in Jan 2001, the hardware is going to be tired to say the least.
    If its a 1.5Ghz P4, then its probably going to be using RamBus ram, and as I understood it that runs pretty hot and again has a higher rate of failure.

    So I stand by my original advice that if you are going to be using this server, as a real web server a VPS would be a far better idea than hardware which should have been retired years ago.
    Damien

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    << which might have a greater chance of failure than a newer machine. >>

    Absolutely not the case...I would pick a tested and known working server any day of the week over a brand new one. Brand new servers have higher failure rates than known working hardware.

    The P4 1.5 is not for everyone. Comparing it as an option to a higher end server is pointless. People are buying these for a reason----because the are cheap. If they wanted something better, such as a newer Dual Core server, they would spend more money then---as we offer those options as well.
    .
    .

    Hardware a couple of years old yes, hardware close on 7 years old? hmm I cant see the logic in that.

    Buying a more recent P4 I can understand, I have such machines and they are still useful.
    Damien

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    Hardware a couple of years old yes, hardware close on 7 years old? hmm I cant see the logic in that.

    Buying a more recent P4 I can understand, I have such machines and they are still useful.
    I believe has a 2 hour hardware replacement guarantee.

    Hardware failure resulting in complete network/server outage/downtime will be corrected within two hours of problem identification.


    In addition, there are still even PIII machines in use as servers.
    Such machines are great for file serving.

    One use for BURST's servers are for file serving, as the hard drives can be upgraded and 2TB/10mbps unmetered for a sub-40 server isn't that bad a deal.
    Last edited by tsj5j; 03-25-2008 at 09:48 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    BurstNet sell directly a fairly modern P4 box for 59.95, which seems like a good investment to me. Ok you can save $20, but id rather reduce the risk of things failing by getting hardware proven to work whilst still having a few years life left in it.

    A P3, If I had one as a file server id want to change it, for peace of mind if anything.

    Changing some hardware to resolve a problem when it breaks, is hardly a solution. Getting hardware which is less likely to break would be my first choice.

    Each to their own though.
    Damien

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    BurstNet sell directly a fairly modern P4 box for 59.95, which seems like a good investment to me. Ok you can save $20, but id rather reduce the risk of things failing by getting hardware proven to work whilst still having a few years life left in it.

    A P3, If I had one as a file server id want to change it, for peace of mind if anything.

    Changing some hardware to resolve a problem when it breaks, is hardly a solution. Getting hardware which is less likely to break would be my first choice.

    Each to their own though.
    Everyone wants hardware less likely to break. But there is no guarantee that hardware will not break, new or old.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Theres no guarantee, but something 7 years old is going to break more easily than something 2 years old. And for $20 it hardly seems worth the effort. If you could save $100 I might agree
    Damien

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    Theres no guarantee, but something 7 years old is going to break more easily than something 2 years old. And for $20 it hardly seems worth the effort. If you could save $100 I might agree
    Ok, well that's your opinion. But I see no research into this. Besides, these old P4's and P3's must be a little reliable, since they have lasted this long.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6376021.stm

    Seems google found a link. The disproved that higher temperatures cause a lot more failures, but if you visit Google labs you can get the PDF.

    Disks over 3 years old fail more. So disks 7 years old are going to fail far more often than a newer one.

    Quoting the BBC:

    "Hard drives less than three years old and used a lot are less likely to fail than similarly aged hard drives that are used infrequently, according to the report. "

    "But hard drives which are three years old and older were more likely to suffer a failure when used in warmer environments. "

    The notion that older hardware is going to be as reliable as modern hardware doesn't have any truth in it, it doesn't sound believable nor have I ever read a 7 year disk is going to be as reliable as a 2 year old one
    Last edited by djorgensen; 03-25-2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Damien

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6376021.stm

    Seems google found a link. The disproved that higher temperatures cause a lot more failures, but if you visit Google labs you can get the PDF.

    Disks over 3 years old fail more. So disks 7 years old are going to fail far more often than a newer one.

    Quoting the BBC:

    "Hard drives less than three years old and used a lot are less likely to fail than similarly aged hard drives that are used infrequently, according to the report. "

    "But hard drives which are three years old and older were more likely to suffer a failure when used in warmer environments. "

    The notion that older hardware is going to be as reliable as modern hardware doesn't have any truth in it, it doesn't sound believable nor have I ever read a 7 year disk is going to be as reliable as a 2 year old one
    Well any HD used in a warm environment is more likely to fail. I'm not sure how this is news. But we would hope BurstNET keeps a cool server room.

    Oh, and from personal experience, since YMMV, my iMac G3 400MHZ (2001 model) is still running without any hardware failures, while I have to replace my 1 year old PC desktop hard drive...
    Last edited by cloudrck; 03-25-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •