IXwebhosting - Site is Growing? Watch out for this!!

Hello,

After over 2 years of hosting with ixwebhosting i'm finally looking for a decent and new host (my searches can be described here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=680428)

while IXwebhosting offers Unlimited hosting, if you're currently hosting with them doesn't want your site to grow or even exist, readon.

I have for the forth time got my MySQL database taken away for me without any notice, this has happened because I was told I overloaded the MySQL server.

My site overloaded their mysql server when I got to 1500 uniqe's per day (DIGG Posts), but another site of mine caused an overload at 8k uniques (that's a text only with half the mysql requests as the first site - 2 request per user)

They don't even let you check up on the mysqlloads, you build your site and if you get a surge of traffic - BOOM your mysql database is gone and now you have to contact support with atleast 3 tickets, email the CEO and wait atleast a week - and if you're lucky it's back.

So you can never know when this will ever happen to you, since one digg post gone wrong can blow your database and cause week of downtime.

You wont get any compansation for the lost time, and no there's no way you can check the loads on the mysql server (BEFORE it crashes).

When it does crash they do give you a log of what queries have caused the crash. my latest overload was created from a update X -> (increment it + 1) X 600 times that day = OVERLOAD.

What's wrost ? IXwebhosting just told me that the next overload will get my account DISABLED totally! and guess what - I just talked to them on live chat because I just paid 2 weeks ago for a 2 years upfront hosting (250$), and i got this responce: "Your database blocked, we blocked it" - "me: no it's not, you restored it 2 days ago , am I overloading the dabase right now?" - "no not overloading, database blocked by us" - "WHAT?" and no responce from ixwebhosting (wtf)

The support doesn't know what the hell they are talking about...
    Just get the hell away - im currently packing up 16 sites for movement, they really used to know what they were doing about a year ago eventhough they oversold, but since then it's not the hosting company you want to be in since you never know when too many visitors come to your site and you get overloaded, or worse - DISABLED.

I'm gonna tell this to anyone I know, since they dont care about a 4 year customer, for them you're just one more oversell, even if you're hosting since 04.

Stay away from the unlimited BLACK HOLE called ixwebhosting.

That's what happens when you buy from oversellers and you look for deals so you can prepay and save money; Just go with a regular host and pay on a month to month basis and you shouldn't have these problems, since you have 16 sites, you should consider a small VPS perhaps.

Thanks for sharing your experience. If I were you I would stay away from a company that have plans that allows unlimited diskstorage/bandwidth. Since you're changing host, be shure to select someone who have plans that include vps and dedicated - or semi-dedicated since that is something you should be looking at due to the high number or users and load. Since you have an active site I'm looking forward on a review of your new host when you've moved.
    -Mr Bister

Sloogy,

If I read your post right, your site was crashing the mysql server, correct? If so, by not disabling your site they are doing a disservice to every other person hosted on that machine.

Agree?

What are they supposed to tell the other users? "I know you can't access your photo gallery right now, tough s... - Sloogy's getting dugg." ?

They spell it out pretty clearly:

If a particular user is in extreme excess of what the average users of the machine have in use (actually used) of their resource allotments, that customer may be asked to remove content, cut resource usage, or relocate to a dedicated service provider
    Unless everyone on that server's getting dugg or receiving similarly large spikes in traffic on their db driven sites, IX did what was right by their customers in shutting you down.

After the second time it happened, did you consider that maybe you have outgrown their shared environment and it's time to move on .. like now .. before it inevitably happens again? Your site is growing and that's awesome, but you can't grow outside of what your host is able to provide you with.

I find it hard to believe that they "took away" your database for a week at a time. Why would that not prompt you to immediately move as soon as you were able to access all of your data again, assuming you didn't have backups? Were you overly rude or vulgar with support when trying to resolve things and get your site back online? That's the only reason, and it's an extremely petty one, I can think of as to why a host would act in such an (inexcusable) way. Even so - something, logistically, doesn't add up there to me.

Was it unprofessional, extremely poor customer relations and downright rude as to how they handled it? Yes, yes and yes in my opinion. Unfortunately, there are a lot of (budget) hosts that handle similar situations the same way and do not contact the customer first. Something you'll want to ask your next host about before signing on board.

For the future (and your wallet), before jumping at a VPS I'd suggest checking around with a few shared hosts (there's a popular one here that i'm thinking of that seems pretty keen on "application hosting") and providing them an accurate depiction of your sites' needs - best and worst case scenario.

Congrats again on the growing site and good luck to ya, man! Let the board know where you end up next.
    Last edited by db09; 03-22-2008 at 03:37 PM.

oversellers, u can never use unlimited space.

that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. he didn't run into trouble using eleventybillion GBs of space and transfer, his site was crashing the mysql server.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. he didn't run into trouble using eleventybillion GBs of space and transfer, his site was crashing the mysql server.
    It has a lot to do with this thread. The server is probably overloaded with a bunch of people like sloogy thinking they can host a resource intensive site because they have unlimited hosting.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

I would beg to differ. Obviously, neither of us have the "inside scoop" but based on the bit from their TOS I posted, if IX is playing by their own book, it unequivocally singles him out as *the* recurring culprit.

I can see where if it were a one time thing where you may be on to something, but he was singled out by the host as having crashed/hampered the SQL server FOUR times.

I won't debate the notion that IX is overloading their servers (they say up to 100 other sites per server........riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight), but why would they have any other reason to shut him down four times if he hadn't been the one causing (the majority of) the server issues on each of those occurrences?
    Last edited by db09; 03-22-2008 at 08:13 PM.