Remove ads from Searches

It would be great to be able to type a search term into the main Search box, and actually get some useful information from it. I realize you can do an Advanced search, but that is a pain.

It is so annoying to do a search for something, and 9 out 10 results are from the "offers" forum. First of all, if you are trying to find help for something technical, you do NOT want to see advertisements. Secondly, even if you did want to get hit over the head with hundreds of gimmicks, 99% of those shown are out-dated anyway. Could that forum please be removed from the default search results?

Also, on a different note, why not delete the offers after a few months? Those are mostly specials that have long since expired, and their presence degrades not only the quality of the Offers forum, but of WHT as a whole.

Just my two cents.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

True, many of the ad posts do have keywords in that get caught up in alot of my searches.

The flip side of that coin is that some people might want to search for offers.

Why don't you make your search query for a particular forum alone, i mean excluding those which are not related.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    Why don't you make your search query for a particular forum alone, i mean excluding those which are not related.
    Doesnt this require changing options in the "advanced search", which the OP wants to avoid doing each time he makes a search?

Hey, I think something like this could be sorted for yourself anyway.. look at something like GreeseMonkey for firefox

Quote Originally Posted by ST-Mike View Post
    Doesnt this require changing options in the "advanced search", which the OP wants to avoid doing each time he makes a search?

Hey, I think something like this could be sorted for yourself anyway.. look at something like GreeseMonkey for firefox
    Now WHT is no google though.

If you want to look at offers, then you can search that specific forum. Offers should not contaminate general search, which includes every other forum on WHT.

WHT's main purpose, if I'm not mistaken, is to find useful information that is not of a commercial nature, hence the reason offers are quarantined into that one forum. I vote for keeping them there.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

How come an additional 30 second become a "pain", unless you are making a search in every 3-4 minutes?
    Click advanced search
    Exclude the advertising forums using shift-click and ctrl-click
    Do your search

That simple
    Closed for winter...

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    How come an additional 30 second become a "pain", unless you are making a search in every 3-4 minutes?
    Click advanced search
    Exclude the advertising forums using shift-click and ctrl-click
    Do your search

That simple
    Now this is pretty plain and simple, i doubt one would search for more than 5 or 6 times a day in WHT.

Excluding offers and requests forum in general first search is not advisable, anyway its all business and making money

Here is an example. I did a search for "Plesk Sitebuilder." I was hoping for feedback from people who have used it, installation issues, security concerns, etc. You know, all the stuff you want to know about before making a purchase decision.

If I wanted promotional material, I would just go to their web site. Go ahead, try the same search "Plesk SiteBuilder" (no quotes). Count how many of the results are an advertisement.

BarakUeda and Biju, thanks for the advice, but Advanced Search is not a new concept. I realize an extra 30 seconds isn't the end of the world, but it is still an inconvenience. A good service is one that makes an effort to avoid inconveniencing its customers. People who do searches on WHT are the equivalent of customers. WHT is always trying to avoid inconveniencing its customers, and the purpose of this forum is to get feedback from us on how to do that.

How about a compromise? WHT, maybe you could put a little checkbox next to the main search box: "Include Advertising Forums." (not checked by default)

Try it for a while. I guarantee that very few people will check the box. That is how you'll know that most people would really appreciate the convenience of not having to do an Advanced search every time they want to find something.
    eVerity.com

How about a compromise? WHT, maybe you could put a little checkbox next to the main search box: "Include Advertising Forums." (not checked by default)
    This is good idea, but lets see what the heads have nswer for it. It does not pain so much to go for advanced search, anyway the idea was good enough

Well I think it is how you see it.
    On the contrary of your opinion, I see advanced search as "convinience". You need to make "some" efford to get better results.
    No offense but, if 30 sec.(max) of extra efford to get better results in a web search is "inconvinience", you are a lazy person.

Also check my user name, it is not BarakUeda. uhhhh! it's giving me chills
    Closed for winter...

On the contrary of your opinion, I see advanced search as "convinience". You need to make "some" efford to get better results.
    No offense but, if 30 sec.(max) of extra efford to get better results in a web search is "inconvinience", you are a lazy person.

I think its high time you change your username, if i am not wrong WHT does give you that option.

Hi Burak, very sorry about misspelling your username. I apologize.

With regards to being lazy, you are absolutely right. I am. An important rule of good design is to make it so people don't have to do extra work.
    eVerity.com

Quote Originally Posted by everity View Post
    Here is an example. I did a search for "Plesk Sitebuilder." I was hoping for feedback from people who have used it, installation issues, security concerns, etc. You know, all the stuff you want to know about before making a purchase decision.
    Looks like you need to learn how to search more efficiently.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Looks like you need to learn how to search more efficiently.
    Thanks for your opinion. Could you be more specific?
    eVerity.com