Hosting a multi user wordpress blog

Hi All,

I was approached by some friends and was asked to host a blog for about 20 friends. I started to look into the "blogging" world and think it can be very fun. I have setup my first MUWP and everything seems to be going good with the testing.

I am hoping some of the vets here can recommend some "common" and "not-so-common" plugins and templates so that i can better customize my new blogging site.

If anyone can recommend a couple of sites where i can find plugins and themes, i would greatly appreciate it.

Akismet - to help prevent spam comments.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I have noticed tat most sites offering Wordpress themes, have actually the same themes, maybe in a different order. So any first result in Google should lead you to a good wordpress site with themes the others will not have anything much more different.

@SeanK I think you will get better response from Wordpress.org

I have posted the same question there... one of the reply's was do a google search .. wow i never would of thought of that one.

I figure people here know what they are doing so will be willing to share

Try sitepoint

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SeanK View Post
    I have posted the same question there... one of the reply's was do a google search .. wow i never would of thought of that one.

I figure people here know what they are doing so will be willing to share
    haha, really mate? That's funny But the reason why I wrote that you should check wordpress.org is because it is the wordpress community

A tip on the way; Instead of asking about "which plugins should I use?" you should first ask yourself (and your users); "What kind of function/s do you want?". Doing so, you attack the problem from the right angle, if you follow me here
    Last edited by Henrik; 03-22-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

i think that b2Evolutions in quite better for as a multii blogging platform. But if you want WordPress it is fine. Just search the offers section to find something on the budget.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

A must use plugin for Wordpress would be the super-cache plugin, will save you and your host many headaches when your site would get popular.

Also as from Wordpress 2.5 there are several nice additions to the software, hope they release this one soon.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    A must use plugin for Wordpress would be the super-cache plugin, will save you and your host many headaches when your site would get popular.

Also as from Wordpress 2.5 there are several nice additions to the software, hope they release this one soon.
    Yes, it does look cool, but did they implement some kind of cache in this version?

Went to [link] and didn't find anything about that.

EDIT: Can this and this be a clue that the cache-functionality is better in the new version?

EDIT2: Also read this.
    Last edited by Henrik; 03-22-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Hello Henrik,

I don't think so... guess we have to keep using 3rd party plugins to do that
    But it got a lot of other nice features in it.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Hello P,

I can see a somewhat amusing scenario where hosting providers' server are running out of RAM instead of going down because of excessive I/O-handling (for example) with this memory storage functionality

It'll also be interesting to see how wp/super-cache works with this new internal layout.

Sean,

My favorite wordpress theme site is http://www.freewpthemes.net/

Lots of good stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    It'll also be interesting to see how wp/super-cache works with this new internal layout.
    Well test and see, just installed the current release candidate, and will see what news it brings

update: super cache seems to work when looking at it quickly..
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 03-22-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: update.

Hello,

I have a Wordpress blog with my hosting company and they have a very nice page, where you can review the most popular plugins for Wordpress and also download them. Here it is: http://tmdhosting.com/wordpress-hosting.html

On the left you can see the Wordpress tutorial, which is very good and on the right, you will find fourth categories with different Wordpress plugins. Check them out, I am using several with great success.

Thanks for the help ppl, if anyone else has anymore please post! I am even willing to give free web hosting for someone who can help me out...