Thread: DNS Failover

DNS Failover

Hello,

I'm in the process of doing research for DNS failover and while I've found a few (ex: dnsmadeeasy) I wanted to get some feed back on what you guys have used.

I'm replicating websites between two domains and i want to use dns to failover to the other VPS if the first one has problems. I also don't want to have to ask my clients to change DNS in case I change a VPS host so I wanted to separate DNS from the hosting.

Thanks in advance!

I have some clients that just want the name of a company of UltraDNS and they pay $4,000 per month.
    DNSMadeEasy I get the same thing (although it actually works faster and is more accurate) and it is only about $0.45 per month.
    So if you care about the name then choose UltraDNS, otherwise I would suggest use something like DNS Made Easy.
    No-IP.com has a service like this that I never tried yet. So does mydyndns.org and easydns.com.

If your looking to make your own DNS cluster grab two VPS on different networks/geographic locations (or as many as you want) and use the free cPanel DNSOnly control panel.

Really is an excellent bit of kit considering it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris E View Post
    If your looking to make your own DNS cluster grab two VPS on different networks/geographic locations (or as many as you want) and use the free cPanel DNSOnly control panel.

Really is an excellent bit of kit considering it's free.
    I think the OP is looking for DNS failover as in: if the IP for an A entry doesn't respond (to some sort of check made, such as a HTTP check or PING), a different IP Address is used until the first location is available again

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    I have some clients that just want the name of a company of UltraDNS and they pay $4,000 per month.
    DNSMadeEasy I get the same thing (although it actually works faster and is more accurate) and it is only about $0.45 per month.
    So if you care about the name then choose UltraDNS, otherwise I would suggest use something like DNS Made Easy.
    No-IP.com has a service like this that I never tried yet. So does mydyndns.org and easydns.com.
    We have a contract with UltraDNS. Our cost for Sitebacker is MUCH less than this. I won't go into details but i'll call it "under $500."

For ~60 USD per year, DNSMadeEasy provides up to 25 domains with 10 million queries and 3 DNS failover A records.

For a little less you get 10 domains or something like that without the DNS fail over options (can be purchased separately).

Their service is OUTSTANDING and they offer a 100% Uptime SLA.
    Josh Kennedy
    Lost in Space Hosting, Inc.

"Hosting for the Next Millennium"
    Company Site - Community Forum

So far it looks like DNSMadeEasy is a great deal for DNS Failover. Going to get an account with them and give them a try.

Thanks all for the info!

I'm using DNSMadeEasy for DNS Failover, it works great and is very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    We have a contract with UltraDNS. Our cost for Sitebacker is MUCH less than this. I won't go into details but i'll call it "under $500."
    $500 per month or year?
    Either way you are not getting that much traffic for $500. $500 UDD (Ultra DNS Dollars) does not get you that far.

Most of our clients are getting 5 to 25 million queries per month.

Per month.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    Per month.
    OK, but you still are not getting a lot of queries then.
    $500 for just the use of UltraDNS is nice though. It's a good name to use if the "name" matters.

But still $500 per month is still a lot more than what stated that DNS Made Easy would be (which would be $20 to $60 per year).

I don't really care about the name as long as it's reliable and it works.

Can't get much more reliable than 100% SLA .
    Josh Kennedy

What's wrong with the OP taking out a couple of VPS out in several different locations and clustering them together for maximum uptime?
    I write content. Particularly tech and hosting content.

Mmm, cost? If cost isn't a factor - certainly that's a viable solution.
    Josh Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    OK, but you still are not getting a lot of queries then.
    $500 for just the use of UltraDNS is nice though. It's a good name to use if the "name" matters.

But still $500 per month is still a lot more than what stated that DNS Made Easy would be (which would be $20 to $60 per year).
    I'm getting many queries. I never said $500.00 per month is what I pay them, i'm saying that's the average retail cost of the Sitebacker addon.

Quote Originally Posted by LISH-Josh View Post
    Mmm, cost? If cost isn't a factor - certainly that's a viable solution.
    But I think it should be cheap though.
    XHSolutions - Cheap webhosting .

@bluque I already have a couple of vps's in different locations which is why I'm looking to do the dns failover. I'm not sure if you're talking about something else when you say to "cluster them". I'd be glad to listen to alternative methods.

Can't get much more reliable than 100% SLA .
    A 100% SLA doesn't mean that the service is up 100% of the time; it just means that you will get compensated for any downtime.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Mmm, true. But it does mean you have the network to back it. At least one would hope.
    Josh Kennedy

I don't expect 100% uptime, just trying to minimize downtime. As it is I realize that it takes awhile before all visitor's DNS syncs up.

Hi

I am doing the DNS of my domains with DnsMadeEasy for two years and i think service is great.

Regards.
    Rusky

Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    I don't really care about the name as long as it's reliable and it works.
    Some clients only want name recognition though. They want UltraDNS since they want to know that that is the same DNS as some large companies.
    DNSMadeEasy has some very large companies as well but because of their pricing they are not known as a "premier" DNS network. The crazy part is that according to the lastest tests that I have seen / done DNS Made Easy is probably in more cities now and has faster DNS response. Also UltraDNS has had some large outages in the past couple of years.

Still I think there is a place for UltraDNS to be used if your clients have a few extra $k to spend. Plus you can make much more of a markup!
    If UltraDNS list pricing per month is $9,500 and we are able to work out a deal for $4,000 then we can charge our client $5,000 and they STILL think they are getting a great deal. That's $12k per year profit to do nothing!

With DNSMadeEasy...... No discounts really for resellers since they list all of their pricing online and it is hard to spend more than $60 per year for a bunch of domains. Really hard to upsell a $60 service.

So when a customer wants DNS... Who do I mention first? It's always UltraDNS. You get one of their sales guys on the phone and they sell by using so much FUD that they will have anyone believing you are insane not to spend $50k per month to use their services.

For my DNS though.... Of course it's DNSMadeEasy.

But I need to make money to survive... So you have to sometimes go with the company that let's you do that the most.

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    A 100% SLA doesn't mean that the service is up 100% of the time; it just means that you will get compensated for any downtime.
    Totally agreed! Many people do not understand that.
    But DNSMadeEasy does have 100% uptime history and 100% uptime SLA.

Of course a 100% SLA when you have 5 DNS servers within a cluster isn't too hard to achieve .
    Josh Kennedy

Of course a 100% SLA when you have 5 DNS servers within a cluster isn't too hard to achieve .
    DNSMadeEasy have much more than 5 servers though... AFAIK Plus it can of course be hard to keep 100% uptime for DNS, many people won't have a clue on how to maintain DNS servers properly but still attempt to! Also, remember DNSMadeEasy is looking after thousands of zones, not just a few or a couple of hundred for themselves :p

The DNS servers aren't the thing to worry about; the central monitoring console that updates the DNS failover records and the control panel server aren't as diverse. I had a situation where I needed to change the assignment of a DNS record in an emergency and changes in the control panel at DNSME weren't propagating out to the DNS servers. I think I've had something prevent a record from updating at DNSME maybe twice in the last 3 years -- not bad, but certainly not 100%.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

@Vinsar That's a bit more complicated then i want to do, I really just need hot failover for the few times that the primary VPS is down.

@buffulobill I totally understand what you're saying. But I'm not trying to 'sell' the DNS service. I'm using it to strictly allow me to do dns failover.

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    maybe twice in the last 3 years -- not bad, but certainly not 100%.
    I'm not sure if that means their DNS was down. So the DNS was still running at 100% I would think.
    I only have used UltraDNS and DNSMadeEasy a lot and even UltraDNS has maintenance windows that I can not get online to make changes for a few hours at a time.
    I'm sure there are times when maintenance would make the website not possible to send updates. But I'm curious how fast did support help?