Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sunny Florida (Orlando)
    Posts
    397

    Virpus Networks (virpus.com) Review

    We have had a cheap server at Virpus Networks (virpus.com) for 3 months. Everything has been great.


    Today at 1030AM CDT, the box suddenly went offline. We asked for a reboot via AIM and Help Desk Ticket and Ken stated he would drive to the facility and reboot it.

    As of 210PM CDT, the box was still offline but Ken was on AIM. We asked him about it and he stated he had just received a SPAM complaint and that his carrier, LightEdge, nullrouted the IP as there policy is nullroute and then notify of the complaint.

    When asked when Virpus received the SPAM complaint, Ken advised us he had received it earlier in the day but he did not have time to forward it on.

    When asked how to go about getting the box put back online, mind you it was the 1st SPAM Complaint and we rectified it in our database within 5 minutes of receiving the ticket at 220 PM, he stated it was upto LightEdge and he has expressed his concerns of this policy but there was no response and he had no ETA for a fix.

    Also, as a side note, Virpus Networks advertises ATT, QWest, XO, Cogent and Verizon however the only thing your able to get to unless your directly on the ATT, QWest, XO, Verizon network is Cogent.

    Think twice about getting a VPS or Dedicated Server with Virpus.

    I cannot wait to hear Kenneth Odem's response to this post as Im sure he'll be here to defend himself and say its all our fault for getting the 1 SPAM Complaint which I admit, getting a SPAM complaint against you is bad however the mannfer of suspending the account and then contactin the customer 4 hours later is absolutely rediculous.
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,028
    I figured I would comment since your thread title caught my attention. I used to be a virpus.com customer but left due to outages.

    I agree that the inability to warn before suspending would piss me off as well but aren't their hands tied in terms of the Spam notice? Obviously Virpus needs to look out for ALL their customers so if your spam complaint meant their business IP's would be affected I can understand that immediate need to stop the server.

    I would attempt to contact Ken again. Seeing as you said the issue is resolved on your end, I see no reason why Virpus couldn't turn you back on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sunny Florida (Orlando)
    Posts
    397
    Thanks for the comments.

    They are not the ones that stopped it. The Dedicated Server is still online. Their Carrier Nullrouted it due to no response. There was no response because Ken did not forward the spam complaint to us until 230 (4 1/2 hours after he received it).

    Also, we have contacted Ken and all he said he can do is email their carrier to resolve it and we have to wait. Thats not how to run a NOC.
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    I'm going to address each of your statements one by one.

    Today at 1030AM CDT, the box suddenly went offline. We asked for a reboot via AIM and Help Desk Ticket and Ken stated he would drive to the facility and reboot it.

    As of 210PM CDT, the box was still offline but Ken was on AIM. We asked him about it and he stated he had just received a SPAM complaint and that his carrier, LightEdge, nullrouted the IP as there policy is nullroute and then notify of the complaint.
    As clarification, the physcial reboot was done within 45 minutes of the request. Because he was offline at the time on AIM, I opened up a ticket at 12:04 Central and asked to comfirm connectivity. He didn't respond to the ticket but he did get back with me via AIM, which is fine.

    VirpusKen (12:22:08 PM): Were you able to connect
    WebbyTech (12:22:16 PM): just got home
    WebbyTech (12:22:18 PM): lemme check
    WebbyTech (12:22:26 PM): yep
    VirpusKen (12:22:34 PM): All good?
    WebbyTech (12:22:39 PM): yep
    VirpusKen (12:22:41 PM): Ok cool.
    When asked when Virpus received the SPAM complaint, Ken advised us he had received it earlier in the day but he did not have time to forward it on.
    This is correct. I had recieved the complaint prior to doing the reboot, and earlier in the morning. Abuse complaints are forwarded directly to me from our carriers to address. You say I claim that I "did not have time to forward it on". That's bogus, and you know I addressed this specifically with you, so I do not know why you would twist the words around. I had not gotten to the abuse complaint at that point, as I do receive many e-mails in a day (otherwise the reboot would not of been done). After I did get to the e-mail, it was promptly addressed to you via an abuse ticket. The flaw is when LightEdge's non-standard abuse procedure says to shut down immediately a spam complaint, but allow a phishing site 24 hours to resolve. In other words, depending on LE feels at a given time, they may give time to resolve or just null route. I will address this further later.

    When asked how to go about getting the box put back online, mind you it was the 1st SPAM Complaint and we rectified it in our database within 5 minutes of receiving the ticket at 220 PM, he stated it was upto LightEdge and he has expressed his concerns of this policy but there was no response and he had no ETA for a fix.
    This is correct. I have contacted LightEdge regarding their inconsistant policies a while ago and also just recently, but have not heard back from them regarding this.

    And as later said on the ticket, an ETA was provided of 4 hours per LightEdge.

    Also, as a side note, Virpus Networks advertises ATT, QWest, XO, Cogent and Verizon however the only thing your able to get to unless your directly on the ATT, QWest, XO, Verizon network is Cogent.
    I have also mentioned this to LE a while ago, and I was told that it will take the path with the least amount of AS hops, and because of Cogent's peering, Cogent may be the best route to take.

    I cannot wait to hear Kenneth Odem's response to this post as Im sure he'll be here to defend himself and say its all our fault for getting the 1 SPAM Complaint which I admit, getting a SPAM complaint against you is bad however the mannfer of suspending the account and then contactin the customer 4 hours later is absolutely rediculous.
    Lets stick to technicalities here, Josh. I did not suspend your account. Your main IP address was just null routed by our network provider. And you're right. Anyone who cares about the nature of their business will respond to complaints. To any story there is always two sides.

    As an additional note, this customer has threatened and claims he has filed a chargeback for this issue, which I think shows his ethics on doing business. And by the way, that is a criminal activity being that it is a valid charge, in case you did not know.. just a heads up
    Last edited by VN-Ken; 03-21-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    I figured I would comment since your thread title caught my attention. I used to be a virpus.com customer but left due to outages.

    I agree that the inability to warn before suspending would piss me off as well but aren't their hands tied in terms of the Spam notice? Obviously Virpus needs to look out for ALL their customers so if your spam complaint meant their business IP's would be affected I can understand that immediate need to stop the server.

    I would attempt to contact Ken again. Seeing as you said the issue is resolved on your end, I see no reason why Virpus couldn't turn you back on.
    His account was not suspended. His main IP was just null-routed. Our abuse procedures allows the customer 24 hours notice to act upon an event and in some cases we do require a 6 hour turn-around depending on its severity. However as mentioned above, our abuse procedures are void when our provider does not provide us with any advance notice of acting upon abuse complaints.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    Also, as a side note, Virpus Networks advertises ATT, QWest, XO, Cogent and Verizon however the only thing your able to get to unless your directly on the ATT, QWest, XO, Verizon network is Cogent.

    We do this as well. The network we have in place consists of multiple providers however depending on where you are located you could be getting only cogent, sprint, etc. This way you are getting the shortest path possible even if it means going through a provider you do not fancy.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    172
    I have also head a no-so-great experience with Virpus. When I setup a VPS for personal use ( I wanted to learn Ruby) cPanel was not installed correctly and exim was not properly configured.

    Once I got it configured services kept failing on the box. I asked them to upgrade my package to include more memory but they never upgraded the pacakge, only increased the memory limit on the VPS.

    After the memory upgrage to 512MB dedicated and 3GB burstable the VPS ran a little better but the load continued to spike for no reason.

    It took sometimes 12+ hours to reply to a support request and at one point I did not hear from them for 24+ hours while my sites were offline.

    I have requested a refund but have yet to see them follow up on their 30-day money back guarantee. I'll post once the issue is resolved.
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | CloudFlare Optimized Partner
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    Tom,

    I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have researched your ticket history, and the node you were on was having some issues about two days ago, which was causing unusual high loads, however it has been resolved.

    At the time of your posting, we had already followed up with you regarding your refund, and after you replied back to our response, we issued a refund two hours later. I could see that your support ticket regarding cPanel was not handled properly, and I will be addressing the concerned technicians.

    We wish you the best of luck, and hope that you will consider hosting with Virpus Networks in the future.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by webtech View Post
    Also, as a side note, Virpus Networks advertises ATT, QWest, XO, Cogent and Verizon however the only thing your able to get to unless your directly on the ATT, QWest, XO, Verizon network is Cogent.

    From St. Louis - AT&T, UUNET, L3, Qwest

    # traceroute -I virpus.com
    traceroute to virpus.com (66.6.102.33), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 197.2.15.1 (197.2.15.1) 0.457 ms 0.951 ms 0.328 ms
    2 ge-6-10-115.car2.StLouis1.Level3.net (63.208.32.185) 0.367 ms 0.328 ms 0.441 ms
    3 ae-4-4.ebr2.Chicago1.Level3.net (4.69.132.190) 5.773 ms 8.258 ms 17.828 ms
    4 ae-24-52.car4.Chicago1.Level3.net (4.68.101.40) 6.387 ms 6.796 ms 6.185 ms
    5 te-9-1.car4.Chicago1.Level3.net (4.68.127.130) 7.188 ms 6.830 ms 6.947 ms
    6 vl3499.ccr02.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.5.9) 7.139 ms 7.049 ms 7.149 ms
    7 vl3492.mpd01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.7.110) 18.290 ms 17.409 ms 7.312 ms
    8 te8-4.mpd01.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.185) 23.791 ms 23.388 ms 23.396 ms
    9 light-edge.demarc.cogentco.com (38.112.28.26) 23.679 ms 23.821 ms 23.901 ms
    10 ip97.new.lh.net (66.6.101.97) 25.012 ms 29.145 ms 25.282 ms
    11 vz-wendy.dnsslave.com (66.6.102.10) 44.050 ms 35.082 ms 33.105 ms
    12 virpus.com (66.6.102.33) 37.261 ms 35.565 ms 37.258 ms

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    Notice that it is routing out of Level 3 however, not any of the carriers we connect with.

    Again, we cannot control the routes at the moment as this is up to our carrier (who is saying all is normal with routes), however we're taking steps to have our own BGP setup which will not include Cogent.

    Edit: Here are some trace routes when trying to go directly through a carrier we connect with:

    Tracing the route to virpus.com (66.6.102.33)

    1 ge5-3-0d4.rar2.denver-co.us.xo.net (65.106.2.97) 4 msec 4 msec 4 msec
    2 p1-0-0.rar1.chicago-il.us.xo.net (65.106.0.26) 28 msec 24 msec 24 msec
    3 p4-1-0.MAR1.Minneapolis-MN.us.xo.net (65.106.6.234) 72 msec 36 msec 32 msec
    4 p4-0-0-0.MAR1.Minneapolis-MN.us.xo.net (207.88.84.58) 36 msec 36 msec 36 msec
    5 ip65-46-168-138.z168-46-65.customer.algx.net (65.46.168.138) 36 msec 36 msec 36 msec
    6 ip97.new.lh.net (66.6.101.97) 48 msec 48 msec 44 msec
    7 vz-wendy.dnsslave.com (66.6.102.10) 56 msec 76 msec 60 msec
    8 virpus.com (66.6.102.33) 64 msec 60 msec 64 msec
    Through Qwest:
    traceroute to 66.6.102.33 (66.6.102.33), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 205.171.20.193 (205.171.20.193) 0.888 ms 2.596 ms 0.595 ms
    2 205.171.20.129 (205.171.20.129) 0.637 ms 1.115 ms 0.681 ms
    3 67.14.8.214 (67.14.8.214) 1.039 ms 0.781 ms 0.676 ms
    4 205.171.5.37 (205.171.5.37) 16.038 ms 15.189 ms 15.143 ms
    5 205.171.159.78 (205.171.159.78) 15.266 ms 15.321 ms 15.377 ms
    6 65.127.134.158 (65.127.134.158) 17.667 ms 25.130 ms 18.341 ms
    7 ip97.new.lh.net (66.6.101.97) 33.050 ms 28.302 ms 28.735 ms
    8 vz-wendy.dnsslave.com (66.6.102.10) 32.368 ms 41.095 ms 29.326 ms
    9 virpus.com (66.6.102.33) 44.281 ms 57.060 ms 40.753 ms
    I could not find a looking glass for ATT nor Verizon, however it would be the same way.
    Last edited by VN-Ken; 04-03-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    188
    Judging from the professionalism that VN-Ken shows, and the details of what transpired, I hardly see this as the fault of Virpus. The email should have been fwded faster, but I hardly think that delay warrants a complaint after 3 months of excellent service.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    Notice that it is routing out of Level 3 however, not any of the carriers we connect with.
    I believe thats because of the way your provider is 'padding' the routes to prefer cogent inbound. From route views:

    2828 10970 10970
    6939 2828 10970 10970

    note the LS AS (10970) twice - this adds more AS hops and typically makes that route less desirable than a route with less AS hops -- all other things being equal.

    So, while XO - XO and Qwest - Qwest will almost always stay within that providers network (me thinks 0 AS hops), it appears to me (and I'm not an expert) that others coming into your network will almost always enter via Cogent unless Cogent is down.

    Tom

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    As advised above, the way our carrier explained it is that it takes the route that has the least amount of AS hops, though I find this misleading. However I also think this is cost-effective routing versus a leveraged BGP, without question.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by scapeish View Post
    Judging from the professionalism that VN-Ken shows, and the details of what transpired, I hardly see this as the fault of Virpus. The email should have been fwded faster, but I hardly think that delay warrants a complaint after 3 months of excellent service.
    Just a hunch of mine, but it may have something to deal with the OP buying out various VPS companies (which as you may or may not know is our primary business). So he of course has benefits out of him trying to push people away with the highly uncalled for tittle of "Stay Away from Virpus Networks", which as you said he said himself has had 3 months of no issues at all as he said, but because of an abuse issue that was out of our control, we're no longer trusted.

    We've of course admitted to our fault on behalf of our ISP, but I don't see why this had to end up here, or as the OP stated why he felt 'the WHT community should hear about this'.

    Thank you for your comments scapeish.
    Last edited by VN-Ken; 04-03-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by umbrahosting View Post
    I have also head a no-so-great experience with Virpus. When I setup a VPS for personal use ( I wanted to learn Ruby) cPanel was not installed correctly and exim was not properly configured.

    Once I got it configured services kept failing on the box. I asked them to upgrade my package to include more memory but they never upgraded the pacakge, only increased the memory limit on the VPS.

    After the memory upgrage to 512MB dedicated and 3GB burstable the VPS ran a little better but the load continued to spike for no reason.

    It took sometimes 12+ hours to reply to a support request and at one point I did not hear from them for 24+ hours while my sites were offline.

    I have requested a refund but have yet to see them follow up on their 30-day money back guarantee. I'll post once the issue is resolved.
    I agree with you on Virpus' support. I bought my VPS from them 3 days ago and just yesterday got all of my problems resolved (and there were a LOT of problems). I couldn't access Virtuozzo at all, and the techs said they were going to notify the admin to fix it, which didn't happen. I contacted Ken on AIM and he fixed it in literally seconds. Things could have gone faster if it didn't take support HOURS to respond. I noticed that usually after 5pm central time, they don't respond to your ticket until the next day, which is seriously annoying. Other than that, I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm still in the 30 day return policy so we'll see how this goes.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sunny Florida (Orlando)
    Posts
    397
    Ken,

    Us buying out several VPS companies has nothing to do with what transpired, matter of fact, if you look on these forums, we are not even advertising our VPS services.

    Fact of the matter is, we were disconnected by your upstream because of an abuse issue we did not have any clue had occured because the complaint was not forwarded to us in a timely manner.

    Ken, you stated you received the complaint in early morning but did not have time to forward it to us. I find it hard to believe that LightEdge does not give you a chance to respond before suspending on the first abuse complaint. Normally carriers will give you 1-2 hours to rectify the situation which we did once we were notified but the fact is that you held onto the complaint for over 6 hours before you forwarded it on to us.

    At noon when it went down, we asked for a reboot and you stated you rebooted it and mentioned nothing about an abuse complaint. It was not until 230 when it was still down and we asked for a reboot again via ticket, were we made aware it was nullrouted by your upstream.

    As far as your comment about why WHT should be aware? WHT users should be aware that Virpus holds onto spam complaints be it your first or fiftieth until such time that the upstream nullroutes your ip. Thats the issue here is the response time, not the fact that it was actually nullrouted.
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    Josh,

    Again, lets stick to fact. You seem to continue to "twist" words around in your favor versus sticking with the facts of the situation.

    1. Ummm, no that's not a "fact of the matter". I did not make any statement saying that "I did not have time to forward it" nor did I imply that in any way. What I did say is that I was just getting online for the day and had not gotten to your e-mail yet.

    I had mentioned nothing about an abuse complaint because I was not aware of it at that time.. HENSE: my comments to you saying that if I would of known about it, then I would of never took the trip downtown to reboot the system. Your reboot was the first task of the day, and once I got back in the office, I was able to go through my e-mail. And just as a note, this was the weekend, while business hours are on a M-F schedule for Management.

    2. That's fine if you find it hard to believe, that makes two of us, but that's how LightEdge proceeded with it. This will be my last time restating this, as there is no point of continuing to mention it over and over, but LightEdge does not have any standardize procedures on how to handle abuse complaints. It depends on the person handling it and the mood of that person. LightEdge deals with mostly enterprise customers (non-web hosting customers) so in a way they have no need to have standard procedures on handling abuse complaints since it doesn't happen often. So regarding your statement with most carriers will give you 1-2 hours... I think this addresses that.

    Kenneth
    We have an abuse report that came in. this has been blocked on the firewall until it has been resolved.

    Thanks,
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by asim2k1 View Post
    I agree with you on Virpus' support. I bought my VPS from them 3 days ago and just yesterday got all of my problems resolved (and there were a LOT of problems). I couldn't access Virtuozzo at all, and the techs said they were going to notify the admin to fix it, which didn't happen. I contacted Ken on AIM and he fixed it in literally seconds. Things could have gone faster if it didn't take support HOURS to respond. I noticed that usually after 5pm central time, they don't respond to your ticket until the next day, which is seriously annoying. Other than that, I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm still in the 30 day return policy so we'll see how this goes.
    Hello asim2k1,

    I'm glad that the issues have been resolved at this time. Support is available 24/7, however all other department are subject to business hours. I have your ticket under review also, to get any complications addressed with our support department and flatten out any problems that there may have been for resolving your issues.

    I'm sure you will enjoy your Virpus experience, and please feel free to contact me if any other issues should come up.

    Thank you for your business with Virpus Networks!
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,899
    I've updated the thread title to more accurately reflect the OP's post.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

  20. #20
    Hello VN-KEN,

    i found my VPS down more then 30 minutes now can you fix that, i also can not open your site [virpus.com]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •