* Info, suggestions...new here!

Hi everyone!

Im Tabatha..new here! I should have known I'd find a a forum dedicated to webhosting! Here's my story..

I have a little website which began last August 28th. (www.littlesmockeddress.com) Ive been very successful and learned a bunch about website promotion...but, when i began it I knew nothing about choosing a host. I blindly picked 'hostsave' and Ive not had a problem that I know about (though I think it was down one full day because my tracking stats show nobody visiting). Anyway, now that my domain name needs to be renewed, Im thinking I need some more "options" for my site since its growing.

Im thinking I want some sort of shopping cart system...but only if its not some weird, hard to learn thing...I want my site loading fast, I want under 12 bucks (preferably 10). I use Front Page (though my mac is sad 'bout that since I do it off my sisters pc).

I've read about some of the hosts and I just wonder what everyone's opinion may be for me. Since I use front page, do I need all the bells and whistles some offer? I do want a few mailboxes..reliable ones. Thinking back now, I do think I had problems with getting emails for orders very late....I ended up not using them.

I'll be reading and absorbing everything I can from you guys from as far back as I can go!
    Looking forward to hearing from everyone!!!
    ~Tabatha

Well, your post is a combination of a request and just asking for some suggestions.

The first thing you need to figure is how much hard disk space and bandwith you need. If you are getting quite a few hits a month, you will obviously need more bandwith. If your site has something like a forum and/or your site grows every so often, then you will want enough web space to be able to grow.

It seems what you want are pretty much the 'standard' features that are included with all hosting packages. If you choose to go with the control panel known as CPanel, it has a built-in shopping cart script. Of course, that limits your choice of a shopping cart solution.

If you are looking for a new host, I suggest you post in the 'Web Hosting Requests' forum.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

2checkout.com would be a good option for a shopping cart system. It is very easy to install and does not require technical skills.

As for the hosts are concerned, you may find some better than HS, at a reasonable price with all the bells and whistles. If you are considering to switch hosts, please post in Web Hosting Request forum and some good host will contact you.

Hope this helps! any ways welcome to WHT. By the way i am also New here so HI to all the current members!!!

2checkout.com isn't exactly a shopping cart system (by itself). Although it does have a shopping cart included in its services, it is more of a merchant account. Not to mention, it costs $49 to setup an account.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Also browse through this main forum, specifically at the threads for the past week or so. Lots of helpful questions and answers and many different topics have been discussed.

It looks like for your specific needs, you'll want to look for a host that offers the ability to use an SSL certificate. Consider using your own as opposed to a shared as it provides more assurance to your customers. You'll also need a payment processor if you don't already have one. 2Checkout.com, Revecom.com are pretty popular amonths e-merchants, but also look at getting your own merchant account if you plan to do a lot of sales.

That's about all I have for now...if you have any specific questions post 'em here. We all love to help out when we can

:igh::

Ok, now is the confusing part! Cant y'all just look at my site and tell me how much stuff I need?

I think my "plan" now gives me 60 mg (Im clueless here) so 100 should be ok with lots of room. I bet I average about 5600 hits a month ( kinda averaging..) I know nothing about that bandwidth thing...

My dresses are custon so I dont and wont have a need for a cart for those but Im beginning to take other dresses from other people and sell them....hence the want for a shopping cart. Right now Im doing the paypal thing and its more work for what its worth. I guess its an extra that I want the option for if I need it at some point.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding all this stuff...and about posting in that other forum. I hesitate because here I can get honest opinions...Im being sold over there, kwim?

Thanks everyone
    ~Tabatha

No need to be sorry It's actually refreshing to see so many new small businesses wanting to make more of an effort to establish a web presence.

As far as space, go for a plan offering at least twice what you're using right now. So if your using 60MB, go for one offering about 150 MB or more.

Bandwidth is basically the amount of data transferred from the server to the visitor's browser. At 5600 hits a month, I'd give your self maybe 5 GB, but look for a plan that offers between 7GB and 10GB of bandwidth.

As far as payment goes, keep PayPal as an option, but consider getting a Merchant Account. Take a look at www.hostcharge.com, while they gear their advertising for hosts, anyone can actually use it. They have what's called a Virtual Terminal so that you can enter orders manually. No setup fee so there's no harm in trying them out.

I think my "plan" now gives me 60 mg (Im clueless here) so 100 should be ok with lots of room. I bet I average about 5600 hits a month ( kinda averaging..) I know nothing about that bandwidth thing...
    Well BW and space is totally dependent on your needs. If you feel that your website needs more space, simply get add ons, same goes for the BW. For 5600 hits a month, you would not need much bandwidth also, a few gigs should be more then enough.

akash....this was great info for me!!! I really appreciate your info and experience and honestly! I will look at host charge. I kind of wanted something where I could enter info because over and over again, my customers want to give me their credit card info, i presume becasue they are too lazy to do it themselves through the paypal

I"m gonna keep looking and find something fairly basic then
    ~Tabatha

Originally posted by Tabatha
    akash....this was great info for me!!! I really appreciate your info and experience and honestly! I will look at host charge. I kind of wanted something where I could enter info because over and over again, my customers want to give me their credit card info, i presume becasue they are too lazy to do it themselves through the paypal

I"m gonna keep looking and find something fairly basic then
    ~Tabatha
    HostCharge is also launching new services and control panel tomorrow.

You'll be able to accept checks and offer real time billing, so for the customers on the web, you get their money right away (which is a good thing )

But again, consider a real merchant account if you get A LOT of money coming in (I'd say upwards of $350 - and that's the bare minimum)

Hostcharge has provided real time billing for a while already now.

Cheers

Gary

Originally posted by akashd

Looks like he's gonna get beat like an egg....why can't all these newbie hosts just read the rules It takes all of 2 minutes.
    I can't understand why they don't have the common courtesy to seek out the rules before attempting to advertise. I don't know about you, but I would never go to a forum I'd never been to before and start plastering ads all over it. It's just in bad taste.

Tabatha: If you're not having problems with your host, be careful about spinning the roulette wheel. Moving hosts vastly increases the chances that you will not be happy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can install your own shopping cart. There are hundreds of free solutions that are fairly simple to install. Check out http://www.oscommerce.com/osCommerce/ (my personal favorite).

Anyways, if you do move, just be careful about hosts who offer you the moon for $10 a month. Many can't deliver.

I just wanted to be able to offer it, you know. Im not making a ton of money...just doing what I love.

Thanks

Originally posted by Editor
    Hostcharge has provided real time billing for a while already now.

Cheers

Gary
    You're very correct....I should have said authorize.net type billing (to make it compatible with most shopping carts and modernbill of course )

I will check out both of those options. Thanks to everyone!

Ya know, the hosting company that I have now seems to be ok. A friend had told me that hers came with a shopping cart so i started to think that maybe ther is something better out there. And the email option didnt seem great since I got a couple of orders way beyond the time the person originally sent the email.

I'm researching! You guys are great