What is with designers?????

Ok... I posted here that I was looking for someone to do a vbulletin skin for me for a sports forum... Had some one say he could do it and could do it for $75. I paypal'ed him half upfront... my stupidity I suppose... never heard from him again... this is someone here that is pushing his design and hosinting service.. haha go figure... his handle is wwesnnet ... yes he was on yesterday but I be he will not repond to this... god you suck! anyway I had to do a dispute with paypal which of course he has not reponded to.. wwesnnet you suck!

I have another guy approach me and says he can do it for $70 and can have it done last week... well I gave him a test board to start working on and he changed some colors and yes... has dissapeared as well...

I broke down and bought a skin template... paid $30 and they are doing a logo to match the skin.. Bought it yesterday.. installed it last night and am waiting for the logo to be done which they said 24hrs...

THIS IS THE REASON PEOPLE BUY TEMPLATES INSTEAD OF USING CUSTOME DESIGNERS!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell man????

I am venting.. just venting... and by the way... wwesnnet you suck!!!
    FanZoneChat.com
    Sports Fan Website & More...
    Online Arcade.. Create Tournaments.. Win Trophies... Become King!
    Win Money & Prizes!

Yup, something like that happened to me with another designer. $250 was on the line and the guy disapeared. It sucks. Gives a bad image to all designers when they do this.

I know... the designers on this board that actually have some ethics should really put the squeeze on these guys here that suck like this to get rid of them so the good one's don't get a bad name...

wwesnnet was on here YESTERDAY pushing to sell more services... Just pisses you off when you find someone with no morals that just wants to steal his way through life... he will get his in the end.

FanZoneChat.com
    Win Money & Prizes!

Sure I understand your frustrations, but I promise you there are some ethical, honest designers here @ WHT mixed in with all the quick-buck wannabes, If in future you need to choose a designer find someone who has been a member for a while, also if they have a portfolio or site, check it out and do a little research often enough it is easy for anyone to through up a site and a few logo's and site designs, but delve further and make sure what they claim is true. Another sign of a good designer is someone who is serious and passionate about designing and coding websites and not the 'I'll through one together in a day or two for 20 bucks' kinda guy. I hope that this experience has caused too much damage to the vast majority of good honest designers here @ WHT.
    Filefeed.net - Image Hosting -

I agree killapix... its not the money... I mean I only lost $37.50 it is the fact that I got robbed... had a keyboard held to my head with a mouse in my back and took my money and ran..

I am not making and will not make money with a sports forum... its just something to do and talk sports... so I don't mind spending some money to get it going... so yes... I half heartedly chose a designer and said build it.. I should have done more research...

I know there has to be good designers here... but as everyone knows... people will talk about their bad experinces before they talk about their good ones... Thus is the circle of life for customer service...
    FanZoneChat.com
    Win Money & Prizes!

$70
    come on, im not being funny but if you want a custom job and you're paying peanuts you really will get a monkey!

Any designer that worth his salt isnt going to take on a project for $70. Its not worth loading Photoshop for that
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    $70
    come on, im not being funny but if you want a custom job and you're paying peanuts you really will get a monkey!

Any designer that worth his salt isnt going to take on a project for $70. Its not worth loading Photoshop for that

It was not like he was building it from scratch.. he had a template and was changing the color scheme and adding a graphic... hell I can do that but it won't look pretty...

Now if I was looking for someone to build something from the ground floor up of course I expect to pay more... but dont change a couple of colors and add a picture and want to charge $500... those rip off artists are out there as well..

I could get a brand new custom design from the ground floor off of elance.com for $250!!!!!!

Oh... and I am not trying to be funny or anything either...
    FanZoneChat.com
    Win Money & Prizes!

I feel your pain and frustration, D_Dale. In my case, I have horrible luck with programmers rather than designers, but the sting is equally painful.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    $70

that qft and

Quote Originally Posted by D_Dale View Post
    It was not like he was building it from scratch.. he had a template and was changing the color scheme and adding a graphic... hell I can do that but it won't look pretty...
    vbulletin is not a willy nilly easy software. if you have any modifications it becomes harder to put in even premade templates. not only that, but $70 is almost the minimum installation fee for software.

I could get a brand new custom design from the ground floor off of elance.com for $250!!!!!!
    $250 budget in elance will be almost comparable with $70 budget in wht. that is a budget fit for a templating work, you should go with $500 for design and templating both, and thats going with an indian provider or any provider that can provide cheap service due to exchange rates and their local cost of living.

That's horrible. I'm pity for you. Maybe you had to find a designer who you could trust, a fimiliar guy or do it threw your friends...

u should report their emails or something, so everyone is aware of them, i am a design myself, lol, but my policy is i show u preview then u pay, because u wont be able to do anything with the preview when its watermarked. So a word of advice use this way, tell him to show u preview then pay him upfront.

welcome to the world of freelance

Quote Originally Posted by D_Dale View Post
    could do it for $75
    Well there's your problem...