Hosting affiliate programs

Could you advise, please, what hosting companies have honest affiliate programs? If you have any experience (good or bad) could you express your opinions about these companies in this thread? All opinions, comments and ideas are welcome Thanks in advance!

I would generally trust most of the larger companies. Hostgator, Dreamhost, etc... And I would personally stay away from new startups and smaller companies that I've never heard of. Other than that I've not signed up with any affiliate programs myself so I couldn't give you any more detail.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I am sure there are some honest affiliate programs, but there are huge differences in what they pay out. If they offer something crazy, it probably is.

A tip is to go through external affiliate networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Any examples?

It differs - i.e. for Bluehost I've only had one cancelation in two year whereas I have a cancelation ratio of about 60% for Hostgator!! The other hosts I list also have about a 100% referral/payment rate. Henrik probably is talking about commission junction through which I've never been able to make a single sale. If you can they offer significantly higher payouts for most programs.

Also Lunarpages only sends Paypal once you get above $500 which is slightly annoying.
    Find the cheapest web hosting online listed in the low cost web hosting directory

Quote Originally Posted by simp1213 View Post
    Also Lunarpages only sends Paypal once you get above $500 which is slightly annoying.
    That's a good way to get somebody to get you multiple customers without paying out and/or to help delay payments until you have recovered that much money or more from the referrals.

$500 is quite high, but I've not looked at what they pay per referral, if that is high as well, it may not be as bad as I am thinking.

I trust those web hosts who pay reasonable commissions. You can not expect someone to pay lets say $100 comission on hosting service which costs $85 per year. They need to do something to cheat... hiddent TOS about keeping affiliate cookie, payments issued within 60 days and etc. I think the reasonable commisssion per sale is no more than 1/3 of the total cost of the hosting service.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Hostgator has been great. Strongly recommend them.

If you use a big company like Host Gator, you can probably search WHT to find out what other people think of their affiliate program.

If memory serves me right, many people think that Host Gator has a very reliable affiliate program, just a little slow
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I think the reasonable commisssion per sale is no more than 1/3 of the total cost of the hosting service.
    The reasonable commission is dictated by the average lifetime value of a customer, and the market. We can think that companies are crazy and have been, for years now, paying affiliate commissions that they can't actually recoup. Or we can think that the market is where it should be. It is worth to be noted that the value of affiliate commissions has reached somewhat of a ceiling in the last few years, so hosts have had the time to judge whether a correction was/is necessary.

This is also the way to get some of the highest commissions available on the market. CJ.com is one I've used, and probably the market leader.

Yes, commission junction is a well-known and very serious company. They have some major brands like eBay among their clients (although eBay is going to set up their own program soon I've heard).
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Hi

Take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144 this is the advertising forum which contains lots of different affiliate programs.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Soskel34 View Post
    Hostgator has been great. Strongly recommend them.
    Yes, I agree Hostgator is considered to be one of well-known hosting providers and this month I will have an opportunity to check if they pay affiliates honestly myself

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Any examples?
    Commission Junction and Zanox can be two to check out.

I was just signing up as an affiliate for Hostgator when I thought I really should check on here first.

It seems they should be pretty reliable, but I think I will snoop around a bit more and see what else I can come up with.

Edited for update: I just tried to get back on the Hostator site, and my connection is continually refused. Internet connection is great, and other sites work. Are they down or something?

Oh, wait...there they are.
    Last edited by Sampdoria; 03-25-2008 at 01:20 PM.

I decided to phone HG and was put on hold with 14 callers ahead of me, so I clicked on live chat because I had some questions, and the affilate page at HG is pretty threadbare.

Waited a few minutes on chat and then asked Monica G is they had cookies on their affilate program and how long they were tracked...her response was "yes, we have cookies."

So again i asked how long they were tracked for and never heard from her again..no hang on, no let me check...just waiting.

So finally someone answers the phone, and they advise me that if a customer clicks through to HG from an affiliate link, leaves, and then comes back later to Host Gator and makes a purchase (like a few days later or whatever), the affiliate is not credited.

So I guess they don't track cookies at all affiliates. Don't think I'll finish that sign-up after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampdoria View Post
    I was just signing up as an affiliate for Hostgator when I thought I really should check on here first.
    Tip from the coach; For your own sanity, use an affiliate network.

Just signed up under Lunar Pages affiliate system...we'll see how that goes.

Read an old thread where HG mentioned that cookies were used in their program, and that a phone rep had given out bad info to a caller...but that was a few years back.

HG would have been my first choice, but the no cookie thing is something I can't get past...so was the info I got on the phone today correct?

Join an affiliate network and get everything on one check. Sign up through one interface, deal with one partner using many affiliate programs.

Just signed up under Lunar Pages affiliate system...we'll see how that goes.
    That would be the absolute last hosting company that I would trust with their own affiliate program.

If you want to send people to Lunarpages, then at least do it through CJ.com.

so was the info I got on the phone today correct?
    I just checked by clicking on an affiliate link, and a cookie is set, expiring in 60 days. Whether their system uses it in any way, that's something I can't vouch on.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 03-25-2008 at 08:05 PM.

If you're going to go with Hostgator, and don't plan on getting at least 20 sign-ups per month, you're better off promoting them through CJ.com instead since it pays much higher than going direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in FL View Post
    That would be the absolute last hosting company that I would trust with their own affiliate program.

If you want to send people to Lunarpages, then at least do it through CJ.com.
    Really, why do you not trust them?

And who would you reccommend among the medium to large hosts...I want a company that lets me track my stats and has a good slection of links, banners, etc to promote with.

Really, why do you not trust them?
    I can't think of a single reason why I would.

The 404 traffic stealing scam... and lying about it.

The fake reviews they put up for themselves everywhere.

The blog post about Dreamhost was completely fabricated, intentionally misleading... and all comments that didn't bash them were deleted (there have been screen shots posted here that proved it).

Confessions & stories from ex-employees and inside info on some of the scams pulled there. There's more pages like that around the net.

If you scroll down in the comments, it sounds like they're also busted for lying in court while being sued for $10,000,000.

They're just a bunch of unethical lowlifes. I wouldn't promote Lunarpages if the affiliate payout was $1,000... AND there was even a slight chance that they'd actually pay it.

Honestly, I think anyone that hosts with them is stupid, regardless of how their service is. I can't picture a smart person trusting them with their credit card info.

And who would you reccommend among the medium to large hosts...I want a company that lets me track my stats and has a good slection of links, banners, etc to promote with.
    It depends. For good recommendations, it should really just be hosts you've used and you're happy with. If it's just for money, then go with all of them, just like all of the host review sites do.

The easiest thing is to sign up at CJ.com and search for hosting in the advertiser search, then just apply to all of them.

In the CJ panel, you can check out the different links, banners, etc... When you go directly through a host, most of them have the same generic affiliate script.

Two that are different that come to mind would be LiquidWeb and Dreamhost. LW has their own (fairly new redesign) affiliate panel. So does DH, plus you can create promo codes which, like affiliate links, have been spammed all over the net.

hostgator has a great program with high pay rates. Dreamhost is very honest and will put the money right into your hosting account.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

I checked out CJ before, but I had seen posts on here from people who had preferred to go directly to the source for affiliation...

I'll check them out again.

Maybe I'll start a new thread that HG could respond to once and for all about whether they track cookies, and for how long.

I appreciate Dreamhost being honest, but there prices are kind of high compared to their advertised prices if you don't sign up a decade at a time.

So far, I've had the best of luck with a few different providers here, namely: Hostgator, Dreamhost, Liquidweb, Myriad Network & Hostican.

I've had a bad enough experience with Site5 that we simply stopped advertising for them altogether, it seemed that affiliates just "stopped" tracking in their system for over a month (Dec. - Jan. of this past year).

As for other companies with issues, avoid anything of Sagonet's, allmanaged, etc.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've had a bad enough experience with Site5 that we simply stopped advertising for them altogether, it seemed that affiliates just "stopped" tracking in their system for over a month (Dec. - Jan. of this past year).
    Hi David,

I have no interest in arguing with you here, but I just wanted to clarify that while it seemed like affiliates "just stopped tracking" in our affiliate system for over a month, that is not exactly what happened. When we migrated one of our internal systems from one data center facility to another, we did indeed break a piece of code in our affiliate system which caused clicks/orders to stop being reported on the client-facing portion of our affiliate system for about 3 weeks. We maintained a record of these clicks/sales during that period, and they were ultimately put back into the affiliate system once the bug had been fixed. Nothing was lost, and affiliates were paid.

Without question, this was certainly an inconvenience, and we are exceedingly sorry for that reason. I felt the need to respond here because I didn't want people to think that we simply opted to not pay our affiliates for "over a month", or that our system is fundamentally flawed. I am not trying to be combative at all. Furthermore, I completely understand and respect your decision to no longer promote our affiliate program on your website(s)--you obviously were not happy with the problem in the first place, and were not satisfied with our resolution.

Thank you kindly for the time you did spend with us, you were/are a good affiliate and a pleasure to do business with. I wish you all the best with your future ventures/whatever companies you are promoting now, take care.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Good experiences in the past with XO, although at the prices they charge it's a bit hard to find enough people who will actually buy it...

Brendan,

Would it not have been in your best interest to let us all know that at the beginning of the month when it occurred, rather than leaving my ticket open for an entire month with no response?

A'las, it's water under the bridge now. I've moved on to grassier knolls.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Agreed. That experience resulted in a change in the way we handle that affiliate ticket queue. After some investigation, and procedural changes, I'm happy to say, it wont happen again.

Good luck!
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

I checked out CJ before, but I had seen posts on here from people who had preferred to go directly to the source for affiliation.
    It depends on them. A host makes money from hosting--not from paying out to affiliates. But affiliate companies only make money by keeping the money flowing and keeping their affiliates happy.

When the host runs their own program, you have to trust them 100% with no middleman to keep track of what's going on.

Now, keep in mind you don't always have a choice... and I'm not saying to not use the host's system in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've had a bad enough experience with Site5
    Ugh... I forgot about them. They were so dishonest back when I was a customer that I'd put them right under Lunarpages on the list of hosts I wouldn't trust to track things.

I left back when they had a big downtime and instead of spending their time answering support tickets, they were too busy policing the forums and removing any complaints or mention of the problem. In fact they even deleted my posts asking them why they were deleting posts instead of answering tickets. I was shocked!

In my opinion, not doing that takes the same amount of ethics as not stealing from affiliates, so again... no way I'd trust them, or recommend their service in the first place, even for an affiliate payout.

Even back when I was a customer and things were good, I never had a single conversion, but didn't really care as they were a good host that I was using at the time. So in that case, I was so disgusted with their service, I would have yanked their links anyway because I just couldn't recommend them to anyone.

I even attached a screen shot of what a Site5 title search at WHT looked like, not that it's gotten much better. It's hard to believe that back when I signed up, they were one of the more respectable hosts here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails site5-wht-search-20061103.gif  

I signed up with Linkshare...I wanted to be a Netflix affiliate, and I had to go through them...anyone had any experiences with either?

Also, it seems like netflix is now available here in Canada now...but no affiliate account yet.