HostV experience

I thought it was time to post a review about Cirtex and their brother Company HostV.

At first I was at Cirtex with a shared plan. The first month all was ok, reliability ok, speed ok. Then it all went downhill. All sorts of problems started appearing, lots of customers were complaining at the time, anyway they offered to change servers. I switched servers and all was ok again. For a few months. Then they decided to change my server without notifying me. And guess what, everything started breaking again... Downtime, downtime and then some more downtime. After a lot of complaining things sorted out a bit, not 100% ok but on the verge of acceptable... Then I received an abuse notification. I run a vBulletin site that of course uses resources on the server, more than a static website. The forum is active but small. About 300 registered users with 7-15 users online at the same time. Nothing too "heavy" in my book...

Anyway, they said I had to transfer my account to a VPS or a Dedicated server. At the time they had a very nice offer for their VPS plans (50% off) so I thought to give it a try. I thought "Hell, I had problems with the shared plan, their VPS should be ok". How wrong was I.......

The VPS keeps crashing, they have a Virtuozo panel and WHM to manage the server, almost daily the site is down so I have to go in Virtuozo and restart the server. WHM doesn't work when this happens. After restart all is ok.

I am having trouble configuring the DNS for this server, this is a managed VPS so they have to help me fix it. But no, people still have problem accessing the site. Some can access the site in the morning and not in the afternoon. Some users told me that when they can't access it as www.mydomain.com, if they go at mydomain.com (minus the www) it is working. This all seemed odd to me and I thought it must had been an error in the user's computer configuration. But then I confirmed these problems cause these happened to me as well (for 3 different ISPs, 2 locations and various computers).

Oh yes, and their support? My god, childish to say the least! You tell them that the server's url does not resolve to an IP address and they tell you to send them a tracert! If somenone knows how to tracert something that does not resolve please tell me, I'd like to know!

Let me add the latest support ticket I had with them so that you can see the problems I'm having...:

-----------------------------------------

Me
    Posted On: 15 Mar 2008 04:25 PM
    Please listen,

since day 1 I bought this plan I'm having problems. This morning I had to restart AGAIN through Virtuozo to get the site up. Now it is down again.

Also people keep telling me that they cannot see the site. This I can confirm also because me too cannot see the site when other people at the same time can see it.

So 1 issue is the stability.

The second issue is with the DNS. I do not know what it is but there is a misconfiguration somewhere.

Either you help me sort these two major issues until Monday night or I will ask for a full refund and also post everything with every detail in WebHostingTalk.

Thanks

Cirtex Harry
    Posted On: 15 Mar 2008 07:33 PM
    Hi,

We are looking deeply into the stability issue and hopefully this would be fixed soon. Also , please tell us more on the dns issue you are facing so
    that we could assist better.

Thank you

Me
    Posted On: 16 Mar 2008 07:35 AM
    The site was again down, just restarted through Virtuozo to get it running.

When will I have an answer about that?

Abou the DNS I will explain later.

Cirtex Jeff
    Posted On: 16 Mar 2008 10:47 AM
    Hello Stavros,

We have made some tweaking on the sever. It should work fine now. Please let us know if you face any difficulties.

Me
    Posted On: 16 Mar 2008 01:31 PM
    No change.

Server is AGAIN down.

Cirtex Jeff
    Posted On: 16 Mar 2008 03:16 PM
    Hi,

I have tweaked the server again and upgraded perl and cpanel on the server. Please check now and let us know if you face any further difficulties.

Me
    Posted On: 17 Mar 2008 05:29 AM
    I'm monitoring the server and we'll see if stability is 100% ok now.

About the DNS issue now. Well, some people complain that for example in the morning they can browse the site but a few hours later in the afternoon they can't. At first I thought that this was happening because they had some problem in their configuration, but it is happening to me now also.

Right now as I am writing this, I can browse the site if I use DNS 195.170.2.2. This is the secondary DNS server of my ISP. If I use 195.170.0.1 (the primary DNS server of my ISP) I cannot browse the site. Note that 1 hour later I could browse the site with my primary DNS.

Also some people say that when they cannot browse sportriding.gr, if they use www.mydomain.com they can browse the site. (have not verified this myself)

My guess is that there is some error in the configuration of the nameservers. But I do not know what it is. This is a managed VPS so I expect you to help me solve this 100%.

Please do not give me a canned answer on this. If this is not solved in 24h I will ask for a full refund AND post all these issues in a review in WHT.

Thanks

Cirtex Cecilia
    Posted On: 17 Mar 2008 09:50 AM
    Hi Stavros
    There was a misconfiguration with the A records of your nameservers. I've fixed it for you and so hopefully that should resolve your dns issues. It may take some propogation time to update however.

Me
    Posted On: 18 Mar 2008 04:47 PM
    I do not know if DNS is fixed, should wait for a few days to see.

But AGAIN I have to restart through Virtuozo! Site is AGAIN down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT will become with this issue?!? Do you have a solution or not?????????

Cirtex Jeff
    Posted On: 18 Mar 2008 04:52 PM
    Hi Stavros,

Please try again now. The server is back online now.

Me
    Posted On: 18 Mar 2008 04:55 PM
    No, IT IS NOT!!!

And I do not want just an answer for this time, I have CONTINUOUS PROBLEMS with this server!!!!!!!!

Check all this ticket's history and you'll know what I am talking about!!!

Cirtex Jeff
    Posted On: 18 Mar 2008 05:22 PM
    Hi,

I have checked the domain http://mydomain.com and it is resolving fine from our end. Could you please check again now.

Well, it does NOT resolve here for any of the 3 ISPs I use!

And check this too: http://www.checkdns.net/quickcheck.a...xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

!!!

In closing, THAT IS my experience with HostV and Cirtex. I could post numerous support tickets from the past (I save them all in my email) but from the above you get the idea... Maybe I will post these some time later just to have a laugh cause some are funny...

My advise to anyone looking to sign up with them? Stay away!!! Do not even think about it!

PS. I am very dissapointed that this host is in the sticky threads in WHT. Maybe because there weren't any reviews for HostV? Maybe, but I sure hope that this changes, at least I made a start so more people will know...

They just answered in the ticket:

---------------------------

Cirtex Joseph
    Posted On: 19 Mar 2008 04:22 AM
    Hi,

Your named server was down.I have restarted it and the issue is fixed now.Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

---------------------------

Ok, that explains everything, MY MISTAKE that the nameserver was down!

I must find a new VPS host.........yesterday!

Has anyone from cirtex contacted you yet? Those guys are very prompt... I am curious to see if they are going to resolve your problem.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Quote Originally Posted by kevworks View Post
    Has anyone from cirtex contacted you yet? Those guys are very prompt... I am curious to see if they are going to resolve your problem.
    Sure they did......

Let me add the new posts in the ticket after the last I posted above.

-------------------------------------------

Me
    Posted On: 19 Mar 2008 04:39 AM
    FYI this ticket's history as well as my general experience in HostV is posted at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...40#post5016740

I told you I would do this, probably you do not care but I thought you should know...

I do not care what was the "cause" of my site is down. You probably have a list of excuses and you sent one each time something goes down.

I want a COMPLETE solution for this VPS plan! CAN YOU provide one OR NOT?!?

Let me remind you that this is a V-P-S, not a shared plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me
    Posted On: 19 Mar 2008 11:34 AM
    Site is again down, doesn't even work with IP, needs restart again.....

But you do not care much, do you?

DDDDD

Cirtex Jeff
    Posted On: 19 Mar 2008 12:13 PM
    Hello Stavros,

We are working on this and will get back to you soon.

Just check the time difference between my questions and their answer...

Nice huh?

That is strange of them... I guess you can either trust that they are working hard to fix your problems.

Is the problem the node, or just your vps? Do you have access to their VPS panel to rebuild/restart your VPS?

That is strange of them... I guess you can either trust that they are working hard to fix your problems.

Is the problem the node, or just your vps? Do you have access to their VPS panel to rebuild/restart your VPS?
    They said that before... If you check the ticket I posted above they already "worked hard" and "solved" the problem...

The problem is not in the node. I always check the node status before restarting the VPS. So the problem is in the VPS. (I guess)

Well the fact you are emailing them and at the moment still a customer means that you are going to ride this out.

I get frustrated when someone crosses the street very slowly haha. Not having a woring VPS/Site... I would probably start pulling hair. Maybe you can escalate your problem and speak to the manager or someone higher?

Hi Stako

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but we strive to provide the best customer experience to our shared or vps customers. Feel free to just PM me your ticket id and we'll take care of it for you , as it could be just some configuration issues.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Well the fact you are emailing them and at the moment still a customer means that you are going to ride this out.

I get frustrated when someone crosses the street very slowly haha. Not having a woring VPS/Site... I would probably start pulling hair. Maybe you can escalate your problem and speak to the manager or someone higher?
    I do not think I could talk to a manager or something... Anyway, support "should" be able to take care of this...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirtex View Post
    Hi Stako

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but we strive to provide the best customer experience to our shared or vps customers. Feel free to just PM me your ticket id and we'll take care of it for you , as it could be just some configuration issues.

Cheers
    Well, maybe, but these are just words. Actions are what matter in this world. And your actions until now were only good for frustrating me to the max and keeping the problems as they were in the past 2-3 weeks.

I received an answer in the ticket, HostV are saying they made changes that should make the VPS ok. I am not posting it as they prefer not to post tickets publicly. However, IF the VPS goes ok I will update this thread so that people know if the problems were solved or not.

My goal is not to defame HostV, it's just to post a review of the actual facts. If all goes ok of course I will post here. If not then I will also post the result here.

Hi,

I've spoken to senior admin and we found that problem is not only with this client but most of the clients on the new node. CPanel and named, mainly these two services are getting crashed on all VPSs. Andrew contacted the Virtuozzo support and they should have the issue corrected now. Sorry for the inconvenience, we truly apologize for the trouble caused.

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM

Re: Hostv Experience

My experience with Hostv has been similar to that of Stako. To say that my experience with Hostv has been bad would be gross understatement! Like they say, you get what you pay for.

Their support is terrible. If you call them and leave a message then they don't ever return your messages. When I signed up I was assured I would get 24/7 technical support through chat or email. Well, to get technical support you have to submit a ticket and wait up to 12 hours for a reply. Not only that, their servers software is bad too!

The following are literally the sequence of events that I had to go through. When I signed up they didn't send the welcome email in the first 24 hours despite reassuring me that I would get one within a "few hours".

Then once I did get the welcome email after 24 hours and after I contacted them, they didn't even have the licensed version for Cpanel setup with my account. I had to tell them about it and have it fixed. And that is a pattern with the host... you have to tell them what is not working before they fix it.

Next, there was something wrong with the software which prevented me from setting up my account properly and I lost 4 days because of it. At first they wanted the specific error. When I sent the error, they said it was fixed but it wasn't. Despite marking the ticket as being critical, it was not attended to for hours!

There are enough things to worry about a website without having to worry about the hosting servers going down or the server software not working as it should. If you have a professional site then this host is the LAST web host you should consider.

I can provide correspondence that went back and forth with the web host as proof.
    Last edited by heyhello; 03-25-2008 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks for your review and what is your current plans?

Thanks for the reviews. This is the same as I am experiencing with my shared hosting account with Cirtex. I was about to buy a VPS at their other company HostV, but now I wont after reading these reviews.

Hi,

Stako's issues with us should've been resolved long ago and still is with us from my understandings. We're here to assist you and if there is a problem we would need you to let us know in order for us to resolve the issue for you but we always do our best to get the issues taken care of, and you can always contact us through many methods to get things taken care of and we're here to help. I'm sorry your experience is negative but if you do contact me with your account info and ticket ids I will investigate how the tech handled your issue and make sure it gets taken care of accordingly in the future.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by heyhello View Post
    My experience with Hostv has been similar to that of Stako. To say that my experience with Hostv has been bad would be gross understatement! Like they say, you get what you pay for.

Their support is terrible. If you call them and leave a message then they don't ever return your messages. When I signed up I was assured I would get 24/7 technical support through chat or email. Well, to get technical support you have to submit a ticket and wait up to 12 hours for a reply. Not only that, their servers software is bad too!

The following are literally the sequence of events that I had to go through. When I signed up they didn't send the welcome email in the first 24 hours despite reassuring me that I would get one within a "few hours".

Then once I did get the welcome email after 24 hours and after I contacted them, they didn't even have the licensed version for Cpanel setup with my account. I had to tell them about it and have it fixed. And that is a pattern with the host... you have to tell them what is not working before they fix it.

Next, there was something wrong with the software which prevented me from setting up my account properly and I lost 4 days because of it. At first they wanted the specific error. When I sent the error, they said it was fixed but it wasn't. Despite marking the ticket as being critical, it was not attended to for hours!

There are enough things to worry about a website without having to worry about the hosting servers going down or the server software not working as it should. If you have a professional site then this host is the LAST web host you should consider.

I can provide correspondence that went back and forth with the web host as proof.
    Hi Lindab

Please PM me if you have any issues with your current service/account with us, be sure to include domain name and ticket id so I can look into this for you and get it resolved for you.

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by lindab2 View Post
    Thanks for the reviews. This is the same as I am experiencing with my shared hosting account with Cirtex. I was about to buy a VPS at their other company HostV, but now I wont after reading these reviews.

Thanks but no thanks. As I told you via pm I wont have anything more to do with your company after reading reviews here at WHT and all the complaints over at your own Cirtex forum.
    I'll just let my current hosting account expire.

Hi Lindab

Every hosting company with a good customer base will always have small issues here and there, and our goal is to make sure every customer is taken care of in the best timely manner to make sure their problem is solved and satisfaction reached, and we're eager to work with you to resolve whatever problems you have with us. So feel free to contact me here anytime directly if you need any issues resolved, just include the ticket info and we'll do our best!.

Cheers

Thanks but no thanks. As I told you via pm I wont have anything more to do with your company after reading reviews here at WHT and all the complaints over at your own Cirtex forum.
    I'll just let my current hosting account expire.

Hi Cirtex,

Why don't we just let peoples take a look inside your forum and decide what to think..? Have a nice day!

Hi

I do not understand as you are not allowing us to help you and neither are you providing us with your information or helpdesk ticket id to further investigate the issue. Please let me know so we can help you as that's what we're here for.

Cheers

Hi Cirtex,

Why don't we just let peoples take a look inside your forum and decide what to think..? Have a nice day!

I have to add that for a week now my problems seem to be solved. It is VERY early though to make any conclusions and time will tell if the situation is permanent.

I will keep updating here, next update after a full month of trouble free operation.

Wink

Thank you for your update Stako, if you feel like there are anymore problems feel free to contact me any time here via WHT Private Messages.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stako View Post
    I have to add that for a week now my problems seem to be solved. It is VERY early though to make any conclusions and time will tell if the situation is permanent.

I will keep updating here, next update after a full month of trouble free operation.

Pls PM me.

Thanks!

Hi Innagle

I do not see any PMs from you, if you have any questions please PM me again.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by innagle View Post
    Pls PM me.

Thanks!

Hi...

I was thinking of signing up with hostV. Will request you to update, if you are satisfied with them at present.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by sakg View Post
    Hi...

I was thinking of signing up with hostV. Will request you to update, if you are satisfied with them at present.

Thanks...
    Yes, situation continues to be 100% ok.

I wouldn't say I recommend them yet, not if at least 6 months of problem free operation are passed, but at least for now everything seems ok.

And browsing speed is very good for my vBulletin forum. Much much better than the shared hosting plan.....

If you signup with them just be careful the first weeks.

Hi,

Thank you for your updates & kind comments in this thread, HostV is still fairly new division of Cirtex still less than 6 months old, and we'll continue to keep doing our best to make improvements and strive to become the best!

Cheers

Yes, situation continues to be 100% ok.

I wouldn't say I recommend them yet, not if at least 6 months of problem free operation are passed, but at least for now everything seems ok.

And browsing speed is very good for my vBulletin forum. Much much better than the shared hosting plan.....

If you signup with them just be careful the first weeks.

Stako, I have had similar issue at shared hosting. Everything was going wrong but I can say now that things have got stable in past couple of months. I am not having any issues at the moment.

As my website is growing I am coming after you on hostv. Just sent a message to cirtex if I can get a good deal on VPS, I will be there.

Well at this moment I can really recommend cirtex. They have been stable and support has been answering me very well. At least their Level2 and above support is good, Don't ask me for their help desk guys , they really need to stop playing chess.

Hi,

Thank you for your kind and constructive comments. We'll definitely keep doing our best and take care of our customers and continue to improve on quality and new features.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pakiecom View Post
    Stako, I have had similar issue at shared hosting. Everything was going wrong but I can say now that things have got stable in past couple of months. I am not having any issues at the moment.

As my website is growing I am coming after you on hostv. Just sent a message to cirtex if I can get a good deal on VPS, I will be there.

Well at this moment I can really recommend cirtex. They have been stable and support has been answering me very well. At least their Level2 and above support is good, Don't ask me for their help desk guys , they really need to stop playing chess.

I just signed up with them with yearly payment (a little worried about this) due to promotional offer. I hope I won't regret my decision.

I just signed up with them with yearly payment (a little worried about this) due to promotional offer. I hope I won't regret my decision.
    Always think twice before making a payment.

Wow!! The initial experiance with HostV has been great.

I transfered my sites to new vps and the data transfered speed was truly amazing. It's really blazing fast.

I transfered one of my site (app. 824 MB tar file) to new VPS in under 100 seconds. Now that's really a good speed

Hi,

Glad to here you're doing good and everything is setup and ready. Feel free to contact support if you have any future questions or issues.

Cheers

Wow!! The initial experiance with HostV has been great.

I transfered my sites to new vps and the data transfered speed was truly amazing. It's really blazing fast.

I transfered one of my site (app. 824 MB tar file) to new VPS in under 100 seconds. Now that's really a good speed

That sounds great, but I guess your sites were at the same DC before the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by 227b View Post
    That sounds great, but I guess your sites were at the same DC before the transfer.
    Hi,

That could be the case but I do not believe so in his situation as he was transferring from another host/datacenter.

Cheers

That's a pretty nice speed.

I am considering in buying a HostV VPS since i will start a new big website. After reading this i have to confess i'm a little bit scared of the support hehe... i used to have a shared account in Cirtex where i had to ask a refund sadly, but i hope that they're better now after so many months of that incident.

I will have to talk to Cirtex later about HostV, to see what happens =)

See you later, and thanks for the reviews!
    PSNick.com - Designing your way to the top!
    "...Destiny, thank you very much, cause i found the key to my heart, you're like a plant that blooms, that carries itself the light of a hidden flower..."

Hi Sanma,

Feel free to contact helpdesk if you feel like you have any questions regards to the services.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sanma View Post
    That's a pretty nice speed.

I am considering in buying a HostV VPS since i will start a new big website. After reading this i have to confess i'm a little bit scared of the support hehe... i used to have a shared account in Cirtex where i had to ask a refund sadly, but i hope that they're better now after so many months of that incident.

I will have to talk to Cirtex later about HostV, to see what happens =)

See you later, and thanks for the reviews!