Chicago 1-u or 2-u inexpensive colo

Any recommendations for inexpensive but fairly good colo options near Chicago? I have a website that will serve users routing through Chicago us.bb.gin.ntt.net and am wondering how low latency I can get to that without breaking the bank for this one project
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

check chicagocolo.net for a list of providers

You'll find a lot of positive feedback for ServerCentral, GigeNet, and Steadfast if you search the archives.

I've been a very satisfied customer of Steadfast for 18 months now, hosting a 1U box with very low bandwidth for under $100 a month. Great network, great facility, great support team/response times.

Back when I did my search for hosting, FDCServers had the lowest price quote. Your archives search on them will turn up responses that vary much more in the level of satisfaction with FDC than with the three above.

Good luck.

Edit: let me know if you would benefit from traceroute/mtr results from my box hosted in Steadfast.
    Last edited by TDO; 03-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Cheapest is probably FDC at $39 per U, plus $12/mbit capped for Internap bandwidth. But any of the above providers should be able to offer good service. It really depends on your budget and how much emphasis you put on the facility, bandwidth mix, and staffing.

Thanks for the recommendations all! Looking at steadfast now (and thanks TDO -- asked on their forum too and found out they have a looking glass that gives me the info I need, but much appreciate the kindness.)

sshepherd -- FDC as in FDCservers? Where is this $39 + $12/mbit offer -- lowest on their price seems to be $169 now, though I also see a "starting at $99" graphic...
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Its in the Colocation Hosting Offers section of this forum

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by panopticon View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations all! Looking at steadfast now (and thanks TDO -- asked on their forum too and found out they have a looking glass that gives me the info I need, but much appreciate the kindness.)

sshepherd -- FDC as in FDCservers? Where is this $39 + $12/mbit offer -- lowest on their price seems to be $169 now, though I also see a "starting at $99" graphic...
    Yes, it's FDCServers.

$169 is for their 100mbit shared unmetered bandwidth connection to a single colo'd server.

They don't have their internap service advertised on the website yet, I believe it was mentioned in their customer forums awhile ago, and their sales people have it as an option when you talk to them. AFerrier's link has the info too, so check that out.
    Last edited by sshepherd; 03-20-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panopticon View Post

I'll put my vote in for Steadfast. They've got a great network and their service is top notch (no I don't work there...just a happy customer).

They've got a 1U special that might suit your needs. Here's what I pulled off their website:

1u (1A limit) + 800GB (10 mbit/sec port) - $79.95

Yes, looked at that myself. Also have to look at what new servers only require 1A or less; I was thinking of a Dell 1750 with three 15k SCSI drives which they were very helpful and said was around 2.5A which makes it about $125 a month minimum, which isn't too bad either... now just have to figure out if I can get a more power-lean server with the same disk IO and cpu power for that $45 a month extra on the 1 to 2.5 Amp difference.