Looking for a good reputation & management VPS

hi everyone,

I'm am looking for a fully managed & reputation VPS. Hope to get to hear from some feedback and offer we can choose from

The current setup for our VPS is as below:
    - a Quad Opteron 850, 16GB RAM, 15K RPM SCSI disks.
    - a Guaranteed 1GB RAM
    - Dedicated 36GB 15K RPM harddisk
    - Full 100mbps port speed
    - 3dedicated ip address

Hope that the New VPS put a maximum of 18-20 VPS per Server
    server setup some where about the same as the one i using.
    Budget we are looking is about $80-$100 per month

Currently jaguarpc promo look gd, is there anyother good advice or offer?

Thanks
    Really hope to hear ore feedback soon
    Last edited by FengYun; 03-18-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FengYun View Post
    hi everyone,

I'm am looking for a fully managed & reputation VPS. Hope to get to hear from some feedback and offer we can choose from
    What exactly do you mean by "reputation VPS"? Are you just looking for a host with a good reputation, or is this some new buzzword I haven't picked up on yet?

I've been with Steadcom for a few months now and their management / support is spectacular. I'm holding off my full review until I've been on board for at least six months (just to keep eclouds on his toes ) but if you search this forum for their name, you'll see some good, consistent reviews. They really make a point of being both fast and thorough in their support. I don't know how many clients share a single box, but my VPS has always been peppy and responsive.

I think their Enterprise B plan would fit your requirements and budget. Check the "vps hosting offers" forum to see if they're running any promos right now.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting: High-Performance Pennsylvania Web Hosting
    ▐ Xen PV VPS :: Custom Dedicated Servers :: Co-Location :: Shared
    ▐ Tier 3 Datacenters in Harrisburg PA and Dallas TX

oh, sorry about that.

yes you are correct i'm looking for a host with a good reputation and the have managed VPS.

yes, i do look through the VPS offer, only afew that catch my eyes^^
    else, i still open for reply n feedback

Thanks
    Feng

Ive been using Zone.net for almost half a year now and their network and servers are nice and fast as well as their management being excellent. I would highly recommend them.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

The current setup for our VPS is as below:
    - a Quad Opteron 850, 16GB RAM, 15K RPM SCSI disks.
    - a Guaranteed 1GB RAM
    - Dedicated 36GB 15K RPM harddisk
    - Full 100mbps port speed
    - 3dedicated ip address

Hope that the New VPS put a maximum of 18-20 VPS per Server
    server setup some where about the same as the one i using.
    I would be very careful about trying to compare VPS's based on the above details; it is generally meaningless to consider the power of the underlying hardware when you're purchasing a VPS - although obviously it's an important factor in how your VPS behaves, a more powerful (physical) server does NOT necessarily mean that you get a more powerful VPS.

Hardware nodes (physical servers) with a better hardware spec. just mean that more VPS's can run on it without causing problems - there's more "power" to share around. However, you may find that you're much better off on a lower spec. machine where you get a bigger share of it

The other important issue here is that number of VPS's on a hardware node really doesn't help you. You could be sharing your node with just one other VPS, but if it's using all the resources (and configured to be allowed to do that) you won't get much from it.

Of course, most hosting providers are also unlikely to tell you how many VPS's they have on a node - the ones that know what they're doing will explain that it's irrelevant to you (due to the reasons above) whilst others will probably lie in order to attract your sale!

As for the 100Mbps port speed - this is shared, and again it may not be properly controlled - so you cannot consider how much of that 100Mbps you would get access to (even putting aside any capacity issues of the various networks involved etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by floor-9.com View Post
    I'm holding off my full review until I've been on board for at least six months (just to keep eclouds on his toes )
    Keeping me on my toes for six months. That is torture!
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr

Greetings FengYun

I think your budget is about right for a 1GB RAM VPS.

Have you looked in the offers section?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

It sounds like you are from an Asian Country, are your website visitors also from Asia? If yes, you may want to get a VPS in the USA West Coast or Asia/Europe as they are closer. You will get a little better speed because of the very far distance.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Greetings to all that have reply to reply to my threat

yes, i am from Asian, and all my client are also from Asian too. thanks for the advice to choose a VPS/serevr in the USA West Coast or Asia/Europe as they are closer

hope to hear from feedback soon

thx

Currently jaguarpc promo look gd, is there anyother good advice or offer?
    yes, i am from Asian, and all my client are also from Asian too. thanks for the advice to choose a VPS/serevr in the USA West Coast or Asia/Europe as they are closer
    I agree that you should find a quality VPS provider who has servers on the west coast USA.

Does JaguarPC have servers on the west coast? I thought they only had a presence in Texas and Georgia?

I would suggest researching UbiquityHosting.com and Zone.net which have servers in Los Angeles, CA.

thanks for the feedback, looking at these two hosting & researching.

then what about these hosting
    Liquid Web?
    Knownhost?
    Layeredtech?

For
    provider who has servers on the west coast USA.
    can anyone advice me on what Dc shall it be, in term of west coast USA
    what are the place, it is because i dont really know much about the location of USA

FengYun, do you need control panel (maybe, some specific control panel)?
    FastNext - shared, reseller, clustered hosting, VPS, dedicated servers.

Free DNS Stuff - IP tools, DNS checking tools, ping, tracerout etc.

oh,my bad i forget to add that in

i currently using Cpanel/whm V11.x.x
    CentOS4, Virtuozzo, Php4(kind of old)

so, hope to know what i should move to,
    still wish to keep using cpanel as my client been using cpanel for yearssss

then for php4 shall i move to php5
    and CentOs4 to Centos5?

i also plan to use either APF / CSF for the next vps we planning to get
    any advice on thses?

thx

thx alot for that, i will keep in mind for all these

Quote Originally Posted by damien_ls View Post
    I would be very careful about trying to compare VPS's based on the above details; it is generally meaningless to consider the power of the underlying hardware when you're purchasing a VPS - although obviously it's an important factor in how your VPS behaves, a more powerful (physical) server does NOT necessarily mean that you get a more powerful VPS.

Hardware nodes (physical servers) with a better hardware spec. just mean that more VPS's can run on it without causing problems - there's more "power" to share around. However, you may find that you're much better off on a lower spec. machine where you get a bigger share of it

The other important issue here is that number of VPS's on a hardware node really doesn't help you. You could be sharing your node with just one other VPS, but if it's using all the resources (and configured to be allowed to do that) you won't get much from it.

Of course, most hosting providers are also unlikely to tell you how many VPS's they have on a node - the ones that know what they're doing will explain that it's irrelevant to you (due to the reasons above) whilst others will probably lie in order to attract your sale!

As for the 100Mbps port speed - this is shared, and again it may not be properly controlled - so you cannot consider how much of that 100Mbps you would get access to (even putting aside any capacity issues of the various networks involved etc.).

After looking through i found these hosting
    jaguarpc, Liquid Web, Knownhost, Layeredtech, Steadcom
    Zone.net, UbiquityHosting, PlanetHoster, FastNext
    anymore advice will be great

I'm also considering getting VPS with LiquidWeb. For what it's worth, their 'Heroic Support' really catches my attention (maybe I'm just being sucked in to their marketing scheme). Could anyone here share their experience with LiquidWeb?

The reviews I found so far on WHT seem to be generally positive.

thanks for the feedback, looking at these two hosting & researching.

then what about these hosting
    Liquid Web?
    Knownhost?
    Layeredtech?

For
    provider who has servers on the west coast USA.
    can anyone advice me on what Dc shall it be, in term of west coast USA
    what are the place, it is because i dont really know much about the location of USA
    FengYun,

I have a VPS with KnownHost in its California data center and am very pleased. You can find out about their data center @ http://www.knownhost.com/company/network.html

That would make it on the west coast (one of the nearest US locations to Asia)

I hope this helps.

I don't believe Layeredtech offers management for their VPS services. I'd avoid LT anyhow, I'm not a big fan of them these days. I have been extremely impressed by the quality of support Knownhost offers, they have a special going in the vps section.

thanks, i will take a look at KH so far they offr seen able to suits my need & as well as jaguarpc
    but jaguarpc current special Vps are located in Atlanta, Georgia. anyone know which is better?

LW seen not bad, i still not very sure.

Zone.net & solarvps.com look cool too
    anyone know how is the service and the server location?

thx
    Last edited by FengYun; 03-21-2008 at 03:28 AM.

thanks, i will take a look at KH so far they offr seen able to suits my need & as well as jaguarpc
    but jaguarpc current special Vps are located in Atlanta, Georgia. anyone know which is better?

LW seen not bad, i still not very sure.

Zone.net & solarvps.com look cool too
    anyone know how is the service and the server location?

thx
    I have both zone and Solarvps accounts and would recommend both. Solar tends to be faster with ticket response times, but my zone VPS is far, far faster. I have had no major downtime with either provider.

My main site (I don't resell sites) is a vBulletin forum on Zone, and I have no plans to change that any time soon.
    BroncosForums - Broncos message board and live news feed

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I have both zone and Solarvps accounts and would recommend both. Solar tends to be faster with ticket response times, but my zone VPS is far, far faster. I have had no major downtime with either provider.

My main site (I don't resell sites) is a vBulletin forum on Zone, and I have no plans to change that any time soon.
    Something I should add. I am currently on a SolarVPS server with Dual - Dual Core AMD Opteron processors. They now have dual - quad core xeons, which likely would make a big difference in benchmark performance.
    BroncosForums - Broncos message board and live news feed

I will second SolarVPS..
    I've been with them for 10 months now and have never have reason to complain.
    It is true that I am under utilising the VPS by not even using 20% of the resources available but I don't believe in leaving a lot of room in my servers.
    Support has been great on the few times I've required it.
    Price wise, I'd say they can more than accomodate you.
    I have a UK VPS with them because that's were I and my audience are but the speed is great even from the US.

Thanks for all the feedback, and now i have shortlisted Either SolarVps or jaguarpc.

Some how Jaguarpc speed seen abit/alitter faster, but SolarVps hardware seen more faster with 64bits OS & SLM ram XD

hope i can make the right choice soon and make a review here.
    right now still waiting an sale enquirer from solar
    Last edited by FengYun; 03-23-2008 at 12:44 PM.