Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* Cari.net extended outage - for the second time this week...

Cari.net is down yet again for the second time this week. Last time they claimed that it was a 'routing issue' and they stated it was down for 1 hour, however the issues persisted much longer than that.

This time, since 1737 GMT tonight it has been up and down like a yoyo. It came back up 10 minutes ago only to go down again.

Great, especially when you depend on your server.

Anybody recommend me a reasonably priced alternative that doesn't go down for hours on end?
      0 Not allowed!

Softlayer

I recently moved a lot of machines off Cari becuase of other technical issues. But I also have been having my remaining server drop off all night.

Nothing unusual about this for Cari.

I've tried the SLA route yet im told its not 6 hours downtime. More like 1 week, that doesnt could lol
      0 Not allowed!

What setup do you have?

Single server? Cluster?
    specs..
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, well Cari used to be quite good, no downtime at all, however, it seems now that their network has gone to the dogs, I mean twice in one week? What is going on cari?
      0 Not allowed!

Just a single server at the moment, it's all I need.

Ok, I only pay $110 dollars a month for it, but network uptime isn't too much to ask is it?
      0 Not allowed!

have you tried calling them?
    I dont bother any more, but they will probably give you a payment on the SLA is you moan enough.

$110 you pay for what you get! lol
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah I suppose. No, I haven't bothered calling them, they have probably got the same 'routing issues' again.
      0 Not allowed!

Have either of you gotten an update on the situation? I noticed their site is still not accessible.
      0 Not allowed!

I see the routes to the IP block one of their DNS servers is on are dampened. It looks like their BGP sessions are flapping a bunch for some reason.
      0 Not allowed!

This is ridiculous! I am super pissed right now.

I've been with cari.net for a long time without major issues. A few years back they had some downtime issues, which seems to be resolved. This is a mess now..

Last week was the first time in awhile their whole network went down.. Now this! This is ridiculous. It's been about 3 and a half hours and the morons in tech support just give the old "We have no status updates at this point". These people need to get it together. QUICK!

When their site is back up, if you go to Network Status you will see the "event" from last week promised they would "investigate the issues and report back on what caused the problem" which of course never happened.

I'm REAL tired of the incompetence displayed by cari.net right now. If you run a major data center and don't at least know what the problem is after 3+ hours of downtime there is a major problem.

Looks like time to switch all our servers away from cari.net.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a service with competent support. I realize issues happen, but it seems like when they do cari.net all run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to figure out what it is. I'm over it!
      0 Not allowed!

SO update..

At least temporarily, cari.net's site is UP.. Of course my two servers on tow totally different IP ranges are still down..

This is another thing that pisses me of about these guys.. They always make sure their site is back up and running when others are still down. Yes, I realize they may need to receive email, etc. but it's quite annoying to see their site up and our servers and 80+ clients down..
      0 Not allowed!

Actually,

I am known with cari.net

I just talked to the president of the network department of Cari.net network.

One of their core routers that handles everything failed. So It has been almost 3 hours since the router failed.

Everything should be back up within 2 hours.

If not. I will be getting SLA credits.
      0 Not allowed!

Other than Calpop, are their other DC's in San Diego?
      0 Not allowed!

cari.net seems to be up now after 3.5 hours of network-wide downtime. this is the second time in a week. somebody above mentioned bgp flapping and that's what they have blamed the problems on.

I've been with cari.net for more than 10 years, way back to the days when they were offering cobalt raqs as dedicated server platforms. Overall, they've been pretty good over the years and the price has been right. This seems to have changed over the last year or two with the level of technical support and network reliability decreasing.

I'm concerned, and have spent the last 3.5 hours of downtime researching softlayer, rackspace and layered tech. I build websites for a living and offer hosting as a value-added type of service for my clients. each time my datacenter goes down, I can expect to field phone calls from up to 90 clients regarding their missing websites and email. my clients are cool and they so far have not been bitching at me, but that's only going to last for so long.
      0 Not allowed!

kevspar - i feel you on all of it. been with them a LONG time. From the Cobalt days.

It's getting bad. I got "international" tech support the other day. Seems like these guys are outsourcing now.

We only have 30 or so clients hosted with us, but just started requiring all clients to host with us. Will be 500 a year or more. Apparently cari.net won't be getting my business for more servers. I can't imagine this happening twice in a week a year from now when we have 500-600 peopl's sites hosted.

My servers are still down BTW..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Slithius View Post
    Other than Calpop, are their other DC's in San Diego?
    Calpop is in LA, not San Diego.
      0 Not allowed!

Complex Drive sucks!

I feel you man, I am over at Complex and they went down for an HOUR today wtf. They went down twice last week for hours.

How, oh how can you claim on your site to be better than everyone else and have redundency when you go DOWN. Isnt that why you're better, you don't go down when the others do? sheesh.

I'm out of here, it won't be Cari.net tho. You arent the only one, a few of my friends are there and are going nuts. I don't know how your commute is but there is a data center near clairemont mesa blvd and 163 in San Diego called AIS. They are right behind complex, they took over a huge building that was owned by CSC that giant data center company. I'm touring the area on Thursday I'll post my thoughts for you. Good luck
      0 Not allowed!

Ive never been to CD (my biz partner moved us in) but are they the same thing as Cari? Thats what i just heard. Man this is gonna give me an ulcer. I live up in LA and I feel stranded.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I think mine came back up at about 0400 GMT, which makes it about 10 hours worth of intermittent connectivity, with a good 4 hours out of that with it down completely.

That seriously sucks, I think that whoever said they were outsourcing is right, they certainly don't seem to be as good as they used to be.

I think I will move my box elsewhere if the problems continue, it's got past a joke now.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, an email from cari:

This afternoon Cari.net experienced a network outage that appears to have similar root cause as the previous incident that occurred on Thursday of last week. During the 48 hours following Thursday's incident, Cari.net along with our partners came up with a number of network changes that were necessary to resolve recent network reliability issues.

Cari.net held a Network Maintenance Window on Friday March 15th to implement the first and most critical set of changes which were deemed necessary. While these initial preventative measures were rolled out as planned, it would appear that the overall root cause of the issue was further reaching than previously understood.

Today the issue was able to re-manifest itself and again it was propagated to both primary and redundant routing legs within our network.

Within minutes of the incident beginning, Cisco's Tier 1 Support along with a 3rd party consulting organization worked in conjunction with Cari.net's Networking Team to combat the issue. At the moment, the Network is stable, and senior members of each team will remain on site until permanent resolution can be proven.

Further updates will be made as soon as they are available. Details regarding root cause and preventative measures taken will be made available as soon as possible.

We apologize for the problems and issues this incident has caused.

Best Regards,

Mark Ortenzi
    President - Cari.net
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.S View Post
    Actually,

I am known with cari.net

I just talked to the president of the network department of Cari.net network.

One of their core routers that handles everything failed. So It has been almost 3 hours since the router failed.

Everything should be back up within 2 hours.

If not. I will be getting SLA credits.
    You'd think they would have a redundant network. They claim they do. So why did a single router failure cause downtime that lasted more than at the most, 30 minutes?
      0 Not allowed!

I was with Cari for a good few years. However my experience of them since the start of 2008 hasnt been very good.

I have in the past spoken to the president when their technie decided to turn off a machine for an upgrade prior to the agreed time, and thus powered it off whilst it was backing up the data which corrupted the lot.

Of late, I have not been able to get through to anyone that cares, anyone that knows what they are doing and further still when you do get through to someone they lie.

I recall them changing their core routers a year or so ago to handle a DDOS attack which they network flopped under. Despite their website saying its all redundant!

According to their latest email they are going to have it fixed within
    19 days
    what a complete joke

No doubt we will all get a weeks credit for the whole affair, and thats if we moan enough!
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Will,

We apologize for any inconvenience that this outage may have caused. Please stand by while forward this case to the President, so that we can issue you proper credit. We appreciate your patience regarding this matter.

Thank you,
    Karina G.
    Cari.Net
    Billing Department

This email is a transcript of an update that was recently made on an open Cari.net support case. To review, respond, or provide information regarding this case, please login to your online account manager here: https://admin.cari.net/

Thank you for choosing Cari.net - Better Servers, Better Service

Well at least they are acknowledging it properly.

From what their email said this router failure took out all their network connectivity, but another email said they are going to be upgrading the network over the next 19 days to ensure that nothing like this happens again....

Hopefully it won't.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I just got a reply and they have given me a $50 credit for the downtime. I can't complain at that...that is pretty good really.

I also got a $50 credit for the downtime last week, they have been very fair with me I think.

Billing escalated the case to the president, and I got a very apologetic reply.

As long as the downtime issues stop, I will be happy.
    Last edited by metal_junkie; 03-19-2008 at 02:56 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

They gave me one weeks credit for the whole outage! And thats two events, but like normal they lie and pretend there isnt really an issue!

A complete JOKE!

We all know Cari/Complex Drive post on here, why are you treating customers differently?
      0 Not allowed!

ComplexDrive I can see you're online. REPLY

Why is it when someone raises a concern, you just ignore it and dont reply!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by metal_junkie View Post
    Well, I just got a reply and they have given me a $50 credit for the downtime. I can't complain at that...that is pretty good really.

I also got a $50 credit for the downtime last week, they have been very fair with me I think.

Billing escalated the case to the president, and I got a very apologetic reply.

As long as the downtime issues stop, I will be happy.

I got $24 and $4 it actually turns out!
    And you got $50 twice, how much are you spending a month?

0 Not allowed!

My box is $109 a month.
      0 Not allowed!

As you know we had a network outage last night, this was the second time in a week that this has happened, we made some changes after the first outage attempting to bring things to normal while still investigating the issue, the actual cause of the outage is our main routers not being able to handle all the normal yet overwhelming traffic, this escalated to other segments of our network and brought down the rest of our routers, we were able with the assistance of Cisco and outside consultants in brining up our network, this issue is resolved at the moment yet we will need to make changes to our makeup and configuration of our network, in the next few weeks we will be implementing changes to our network, to ensure our network uptime and availability.

Please contact me directly if you have any concerns and questions, to call our client we appreciate your understanding and please do accept our apologies, please create a case with billing for credit for the down time.
      0 Not allowed!

No im asking you simply why did someone get two $50 payments for a server the same price as mine (or there abouts)

and I get $24 and $4

how is that fair?

And according to the emails from your president you were taking measures on the weekend to ensure it didnt happen again, yet it did just a few days later. Ok these thigns happen but you treat customers with contempt!
      0 Not allowed!

slience lol
      0 Not allowed!

Isn't silence golden?

I see why you are pissed though, it seems a bit weird that they have been reasonable with me and completely unreasonable with you. You mentioned earlier that you moved most of your boxes, i'm assuming to softlayer as you recommended them, why exactly was that?
      0 Not allowed!

I and a couple others pretty much got what Metal did, it definitely sucks to be dj.
      0 Not allowed!

Down Again.

They are down again...
      0 Not allowed!

Network Maintenance Window

Quote Originally Posted by Slithius View Post
    They are down again...
    From Cari.net:
    Cari.net will be performing a maintenance window on Friday, March 21st at 11:59pm. This 2 hour window will last until 2:00am on Saturday March 22nd. During this maintenance event, customers will experience brief periods of latency and intermittent loss of connectivity during the 2 hour window. The purpose of this window is to perform a number of critical upgrades which will enhance overall performance and redundancy.
      0 Not allowed!

I have been a vendor to Cari.net and have found Abe to be extremely rude, impatient and un professional. One of the worst customers I had. No wonder he treats his customers the same way.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Point View Post
    From Cari.net:
    Cari.net will be performing a maintenance window on Friday, March 21st at 11:59pm. This 2 hour window will last until 2:00am on Saturday March 22nd. During this maintenance event, customers will experience brief periods of latency and intermittent loss of connectivity during the 2 hour window. The purpose of this window is to perform a number of critical upgrades which will enhance overall performance and redundancy.
    the message above from cari.net pertains to maintenance scheduled for late friday night / early saturday morning. They went down again late thursday night / early friday morning for more than an hour. thursday night's problems were not scheduled and were attributed to the same problem that they've been having for a week.

-----------

friday morning, march 21:

As you know, Cari.Net's Management and Networking teams have been working around the clock to resolve all technical issues associated with the recent network outages. During preparation for tomorrows maintenance window, our Networking staff discovered additional Layer 2 vulnerabilities which exhibited characteristics similar to those which caused problems this past week.

In the interest of our customers, the decision was at 12:56am to mitigate the issues immediately as opposed to waiting until the preplanned maintenance window late Friday night. The line of thought was that if these issues manifested a problem during the Friday business hours it would cause a considerably larger impact on our customer base.

The issues have been resolved and with the final changes being made during tonights upcoming maintenance window, the Layer 2 / CEF routing issues should be 100% contained.

We apologize for the early morning changes, but the critical nature of the issue required action and we acted with the best interest of our customers in mind.

Reminder – Network Maintenance Window – 11:59 pm Friday March 21st through 2:00am Saturday March 22nd. This maintenance window will completely resolve all Layer 2 / CEF routing issues.

Thank you for your patience and patronage.

Cari.Net Management
    Last edited by kevspar; 03-21-2008 at 12:39 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    No im asking you simply why did someone get two $50 payments for a server the same price as mine (or there abouts)

and I get $24 and $4

how is that fair?

And according to the emails from your president you were taking measures on the weekend to ensure it didnt happen again, yet it did just a few days later. Ok these thigns happen but you treat customers with contempt!
    I can hazard a guess as to why.

The loudest squeakiest wheel does not always get the grease. I am willing to bet that the other person was a bit less vocal slamming them and just wanted a reasonable credit and is willing to work with them longer term. You on the other hand are just slamming them and seem just a hair away from cancelling.

I hate to be the one to tell you but if you were them, where would you put your money?

1) Satisfy a customer that will stay with you long term.
    2) Throw money at a customer you have likely already lost.

All that being said though, an admittance from Cari that their core routers cannot handle the traffic is not a really good statement. It suggest potentially a major upgrade is required to resolve this.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by colokid View Post
    I have been a vendor to Cari.net and have found Abe to be extremely rude, impatient and un professional. One of the worst customers I had. No wonder he treats his customers the same way.
    My sales experience with them was the same so we didn't go with them. I honestly have not dealt with a company in the sale cycle that I was more turned off from but perhaps they treat their customers better once they sign up.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    I can hazard a guess as to why.

The loudest squeakiest wheel does not always get the grease. I am willing to bet that the other person was a bit less vocal slamming them and just wanted a reasonable credit and is willing to work with them longer term. You on the other hand are just slamming them and seem just a hair away from cancelling.

I hate to be the one to tell you but if you were them, where would you put your money?

1) Satisfy a customer that will stay with you long term.
    2) Throw money at a customer you have likely already lost.

All that being said though, an admittance from Cari that their core routers cannot handle the traffic is not a really good statement. It suggest potentially a major upgrade is required to resolve this.
    I hate to be the one to tell you that you're wrong. As I now have received more than the original poster!

Complaing does get you somewhere!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast