Hostgator.com - it's too Limited ...

I signed up for a hostgator shared plan ... reading this

http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

All you can see on this page is UNLIMITED ...

It looked like Only two things are unlimited - hostagtor and the Universe

But here's what I experienced ... I run a newsletter of just 4000 something members ... and I cannot send them email

The limit is 500 emails per hour and you can't divide your list and send 500 every hour that's alo a voilation.

In the link it says Mailing lists UNLIMITED but only problem is that you cant send anything to your Unlimited mailing lists.

So beware and read the TOS very closely ... and this email part is not on TOS .. its hidden in another link somewhere on TOS

http://www.hostgator.com/mailpolicy.html

JK

The email limit is there for a reason. If you didn't read the TOS before you signed up, that isn't their fault.

You can throttle your list and have it send 500 an hour, but if you send more than that, it won't send. So set it to 450 an hour or something.

The mailing lists are unlimited, can you have as many mailing lists as you want. There are other indirect limits that affect that.

Welcome to shared hosting

500 emails a hour? When I was with them 2 months ago, it was 200 a hour!8-12 hours it would take for you to delivery to everyone, but hey, they raised the limit by 300 emails, go back in time and come forward after being there for 3 months and tell us how worse that was.

You are bound to find limitations on any shared hosting plan as to how many emails you can send an hour. If there is not a specified limit - then there will be a certain amount you can send before you overstep your resource usage boundaries.

These limits are in place to protect the quality of hosting for everybody on the server. If you need to send more than 500 mails per hour, then you should probably look at a separate solution for e-mail or stepping up to a VPS/Dedicated server.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Salter View Post
    The email limit is there for a reason. If you didn't read the TOS before you signed up, that isn't their fault.

You can throttle your list and have it send 500 an hour, but if you send more than that, it won't send. So set it to 450 an hour or something.
    Note: dividing one large list into smaller lists to get below this limit is not allowed.
    Does this mean you can't do this?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

The domain won't send out more than 500 per hour. So trying to get around it won't do you any good, however if you can setup the mailing list to send in batches of 500 or less every hour, then you won't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    These limits are in place to protect the quality of hosting for everybody on the server. If you need to send more than 500 mails per hour, then you should probably look at a separate solution for e-mail or stepping up to a VPS/Dedicated server.
    Completely true. I would not host with a provider does not set email limit.
    The limit is 500 emails per hour and you can't divide your list and send 500 every hour that's alo a voilation.
    This doesn't sound right.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

This doesn't sound right.
    Good thing it's not true. They allow throttling, and even explain how do it: http://forums.hostgator.com/showthread.php?t=3574 (might require registration to view).

However, they won't allow creating multiple accounts and using them to send more than 500 emails per hour, effectively eluding the hourly limit.

Two different things. Unlimited mailing lists is the amount of lists you can have. They can be sent out whenever. But it isn't unlimited people per mailing list. If it was, I wouldn't want you on my server if you intend to send more than 500 emails per hour. That would backup email.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Quote Originally Posted by thebigH View Post
    It looked like Only two things are unlimited - hostagtor and the Universe
    Even the universe is not unlimited. It has a size (that is still growing), and a finite amount of energy.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

It is true that Hostgator has a more strict limit on email sending than some other hosts. However, I believe you will find some restrictions with most any shared host - for good reasons.

And, sure, the "unlimited" b/w they've begun now is a bit embarrassing to see... but I guess they find this is a necessary marketing gimmick to keep up with their competition...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Use a seperate dedicated mailing list provider - I've use www.aweber.com in the past which has been very reliable.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

It is true that Hostgator has a more strict limit on email sending than some other hosts. However, I believe you will find some restrictions with most any shared host - for good reasons.
    Almost every single shared web host has the same limit as HostGator on sending emails. It's for hosting your web sites, not newsletters and it's not mailing list targeted hosting.

If you have such a large mailing list, you should find a provider that specifically focuses on this sort of hosting.