Need a powerful VPS - I think

So I have a site that is pretty DB intensive. Its written with PHP. At peak; I see about 80-100 queries happening PER SECOND on the mysql db. My current VPS gets really high CPU loads which slows down the whole site. I am thinking about moving to a more powerful VPS. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

My current VPS has 512mb ram.

More ram might help, but I would look for a provider who has a vps node with fast disk I/O. Something with raid 10 would probably help if the node is not overloaded.

Yea.. I thought more RAM might be the solution.. but as this point; even when the server load is high.. i'm only at 60% ram utilization.

Looks like you just need cpu time... best bet is to get a smaller dedicated server.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Like Chris mentioned you want a VPS with more ram and fast disk IO, you can test this with the hdparm utility.

We have several customers on only a 1G Xen VPS instance running fast databases with 2000+ queries a second, it all depends on how you DB is configured and drive speeds.

Lots of Reads = More RAM!
    Lots of Writes = SCSI or SATA w/ Raid10

Also you can do some fun stuff to improve performance if it gets very big like replicate the database using mysql clustering onto another VPS and accept writes to the master and offer most or all reads from the slave/replicated DB.

-Greg
    Last edited by Chris_M; 03-18-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shergill View Post
    So I have a site that is pretty DB intensive. Its written with PHP. At peak; I see about 80-100 queries happening PER SECOND on the mysql db. My current VPS gets really high CPU loads which slows down the whole site. I am thinking about moving to a more powerful VPS. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

My current VPS has 512mb ram.
    Greetings Shergill

If you only have a few sites, a solution for you might be a clustered VPS provider. By clustering the VPS' you can move your database off to a different server. That way your VPS would only be doing
    PHP/Apache things and the mySQL server would only be doing mySQL.

In addition, an upgrade in RAM would also help a bit.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Your vendor might limit CPU too much? Also, are you sure that your db optimized?
    Traditional music traveling

80-100 queries per second is a relatively normal situation. If you say that RAM is not an issue, then there might be other VPSs on the system that are causing your VPS to receive a lesser share of the CPU. A clustered VPS solution like imountain is suggesting is a good idea since you move the processing to another node.
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

Split the MySQL off onto another VPS, that has RAID-10, preferably SCSI drives. Ensure that it's on a different hardware node, but same network and then upgrade either VPS package as needed.

You may be better off with your own dedicated server, hard to tell with very little information.
    Kaumil P.

Thanks guys.. I guess I will look into optimizing my queries. I am doing a lot of 'order by' queries.. so maybe those are causing a performance hit since that involves tmp tables?

Thanks guys.. I guess I will look into optimizing my queries. I am doing a lot of 'order by' queries.. so maybe those are causing a performance hit since that involves tmp tables?
    It sounds like mysql is the limiting factor, but is it? I would suggest start monitoring your CPU, disk IO, memory usage and start graphing your mysql performance. Like other's have suggested it could be bad mysql queries that is causing your grief. Indexing them could do wonders.

If the provider you are using isn't managed and/or doesn't offer this I would suggest using Cacti to do this. Without basic stats of what your server is doing you are shooting in the dark in determining what your issue is.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Created_tmp_disk_tables 8,196

I saw the following in my phpMyAdmin stats. Thats just in the past 12hrs. I think I need to spend some time on my db optimizations rather than just a faster VPS. Thanks

Created_tmp_disk_tables 8,196

I saw the following in my phpMyAdmin stats. Thats just in the past 12hrs. I think I need to spend some time on my db optimizations rather than just a faster VPS. Thanks
    You should increase your tmp_table_size value.

Unfortunately, due to the limited RAM in a VPS, you can't bump it up too much. You'll have to be careful not to go too high or it might crash the server. This is the common issue with low RAM SQL servers, most of the tmp tables are written to disk rather than RAM because it can't fit in the tmp_table in RAM. And of course RAM is much faster than disk so the queries aren't as fast as they could be.
    Last edited by imountain; 03-19-2008 at 01:52 PM.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

how much ram dedicated ram do you currently have
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

512mb currently