USA Phone sim card

I am coming over to the States (Vegas) in August and want to keep in touch with people in the UK.

Can anyone tell me the best pay as you go type sim I could get to use over there for about 2 weeks.

Looking about there are loads of deals ranging from 5c a minute to something stupid like 6 bucks!

I will only be calling / texting the UK (UK landlines 90% of the time)

Any pointers appreciated!

Cheers
    Ryan

I found the Boost mobile no monthly fee pay-as-you-go plan that costs 20 cents per minute during normal times, and 10 cents for nights and weekends is pretty reliable with good coverage. Easy to use and good customer service (for a phone company).

Quote Originally Posted by scapeish View Post
    I found the Boost mobile no monthly fee pay-as-you-go plan that costs 20 cents per minute during normal times, and 10 cents for nights and weekends is pretty reliable with good coverage. Easy to use and good customer service (for a phone company).
    That's probably not international, just United States. I use T-Mobile pay as you go, and it can get as cheap as 10 cents per minute, but again, that's just United States. For international calls, it's $1.60 per minute to talk, 35 cents to sent text message internationally, and 5 cents to receive text message internationally.

I guess if you get the $100 card, you can text quite a bit with it, and it'll probably last you entire 2 weeks as long as most of it is texting instead of calls.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.

If you have an unlocked GSM tri-band or quad-band phone, you can use it with T-mobile to Go. If it's tri-band it won't work on the 850 MHz band, but most coverage is 1900 MHz anyway. You can get a SIM with 30 starter minutes for $10 from a T-mobile store. Cost per minute gets lower if you buy bigger cards. $100 gets you 1000 minutes. A $50 card isn't bad with 400 minutes. Making international calls from T-mobile is a bit pricey. You can buy international cards from supermarket and convenience stores that have a lower cost per minute. You would then use up t-mobile minutes as a local call to the long distance calling card. If you visit Canada you can use your T-mobile to Go phone, although it will use up extra minutes to roam there.
    VirginmobileUSA could be worth looking into. They use the Sprint main network with no roaming, so coverage may or may not be good enough. You would have to buy their proprietary CDMA phone, but some are as cheap as $20. Cards come in minimum of $20, and cost is 17 cents/minute regardless of whether you buy a big or small card. International calls are relatively cheap.
    Net10 is 10 cents a minute. I think minimum card is $30. Phones are GSM, but proprietary. You can't just put a Net10 SIM in yours. I think international is cheap. Coverage is more limited than Tracfone (which owns Net10).
    Tracfone also uses proprietary GSM phones. Card pricing is kind of convoluted. You need bigger cards to get decent cost/minute. There is good coverage with roaming. Roaming costs double minutes. Tracfone has a number to call for free international. "Free" means no charge in addition to the minutes consumed as a local call to the international access number.

Cheers all - will have a look at the cards mentioned !