So what is everyone doing? (round table?)

I know it's a vague thread title, but I was just curious as to what everyone does around here and maybe what kind of age groups. I'm really curious for a couple of reasons:

I've spent barely a day here asking questions about hosting, and have noticed that a good portion of those that help with recommendations on other hosts, have a hosting company themselves. So I'm seeing a lot of hosting companies and wonder how thats working for everyone. As for age group, I'm curious if many of the folks here are college age, since it might seem more reasonable to start a hosting business on a flexible schedule as opposed to someone older who is set in a job and family or something. Or maybe it's the preferred income source for the college attending age group?

It seems as though 1 out of 3 people I meet is a web developer.

So let me start with myself before I get people raising eyebrows. I've been employeed in IT for about 10 years. I'm 36. Once I moved out of my parents house and got a computer/internet I started learning about web pages. So my dream is to be a full time independant web developer.

The past 5 years of my IT career has consisted of building, modifying and managing web based applications of one kind or another. So thats mean administering linux and windows machines, working with html/css/js/php/asp/perl/c#/mysql/oracle/, deciphering business rules/processes and creating time saving, user conforming, easy to use, easy to report with, web solutions.

...But I still want to be a web developer. I say this because the part I love the most about web developing is creating brand new layouts. I don't get to do that often in my current role. I also wanted to be independent or at least running some semblense of a business by the time I was 32. Fortunately or unfortunately, how ever you look at it, work and life have gotten in the way!

I guess I'm feeling old, but by the time I'm in my 50's I want to be a respected web guru that is on top of the web industry, writing articles for the web industry, and just generally a master of web innovation and design. *looks in the mirror and says: good luck with that.

What kind of aspirations do others around here have, or is this just a stepping stone before getting a "real job"? Are folks getting by with all the competition out there?

It is nice to have goals and dreams but you have to be realistic too. It is too late for you to drop off your day job and start over. Besides, your job sounds just like mine and I do call myself web developer, so you can do the same.

In some aspects making it on your own is not all that they make it out to be and in others it is much more. It all depends on why are you getting in it in the first place. In my case I had small list of priorities and I decided to do what I do based on them and not on the work itself. My goal, if you want to call it that, was not final destination, but having the best possible ride while getting there. The best ride for me was doing something I can never learn completely, doing that work with my wife so we can be together all the time, being there every time my son goes to school and comes back from school, not wearing shirt and tie and shaving if and when I feel like it. At this point I can say, my goal has been more then fulfilled

By the time you are 50 you will not care how "respected web guru" you are. There are many more things in life then being respected by Internet geeks. Just enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    It is too late for you to drop off your day job and start over.
    While I can agree with most of what you said, I can't agree with that statement. Particularly due economical reasons and the current trend of re-educating the workforce (replacing higher paid individuals with lower paid ones), I may find that my day job will drop for me. With that possibility, it would be nice to take my skillset and hit the ground running at that point. I'd just prefer to do it on my own terms and timeline.

And when I'm 50, I want to be a master of something. Most of us regular folks that don't have superhuman ambition will be in the workforce well into our 70's, so it might be nice to etch out a little nook by 50, and at least have some control of our careers in the later years.

I am calling american airlines every 5 minutes trying to get something worked out and speak to a person because their hold keeps hanging up on me. My flights are cancelled and I can't make my business schedule.

Oh the gory day I will have waiting on standby tomorrow for open seats

Been calling and contacting the local power company to kill the testing of their BPL (Broadband Power Line) so I can get on the net. Today's the first time I got on for awhile since it's off for who knows how long. In our area it knocks out the Wifi connection I need to use to get on the net. It also knocks out some public service radios and other things.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmikat View Post
    Been calling and contacting the local power company to kill the testing of their BPL (Broadband Power Line) so I can get on the net. Today's the first time I got on for awhile since it's off for who knows how long. In our area it knocks out the Wifi connection I need to use to get on the net. It also knocks out some public service radios and other things.
    They dont have the proper wire shielding in place and their signal is leaking out. It interferes with such things you mention, amatuer radio (ham), etc.

I didn't think BPL could even be shielded properly?

The local radio club is bitching like mad, but are getting ignored. I asked if I could sign up for it even, but was told it was in beta testing and probably won't let people sign-up until end of 09. I've been having to do work at a bus lot instead of telecommuting like I normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    They dont have the proper wire shielding in place and their signal is leaking out. It interferes with such things you mention, amatuer radio (ham), etc.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

I helped a large message board move to another server and recuperating from that. I am a Windows guy and of course it was vBulletin. Did learn one thing - don't run the ImpEx twice - it will mess up your members. We finally figured out a query that could fix it (even though vBulletin said nothing could be done)

I have not worked like that in a long time. Now trying to get back to all the other forums to catch up.

I think Corey replied to the wrong thread..lol

But yeah, they can shield it somehow. I "think" it is Switzerland or somewhere where they have successfully accomplished it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication
    Last edited by Webdude; 03-18-2008 at 03:20 PM.

i think he meant 'in general'. not as in 'what are you doing as of this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    i think he meant 'in general'. not as in 'what are you doing as of this moment.
    Either way, just a thread to kill time.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    I think Corey replied to the wrong thread..lol
    Yeah I mis-read it actually, but it was a good way to get that off my chest

I thought he wanted to know what everyone was doing.

As far as work wise - retired. Just easier and a lot less stressful