Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Question Do we really need a dedicated server?

    Ok, I recently moved my sites and have found that yet again, I'm going to be charged a ridiculous amount for overages.

    We use about 1,600 GB of bandwidth every month and now with our current host are going to be charged for requests (which in my mind is essentially bandwidth, right?) The cost will go up from $100/month to $1,800 a month due to the overages in "requests". This was a change they made right after we signed up.

    We will also continue to grow and will hit our peak season this summer, so we expect to use more bandwidth.

    Do we need a dedicated server? If not, who is a good host for a site this size? We get about 1.2 million visitors a month and are growing.

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    389
    That's a lot of visitors, you didn't get suspended for overusing resources such as CPU?

    1600GB of bandwidth will definately be best off with a dedicated server or at least a VPS. It will probably give you much better site load speeds as well since you won't be sharing a line with other customers.
    Hosted with ReliableSite.Net.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    I'm assuming your current host is Mosso?

    Anyway, we're going to need a little more information on your site. What software is used, PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc..

    Depending on your requirements, a VPS should do.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Yes you need a dedicated host, your bandwidth and visitors are clearly of such a scale you should not go for any other option. The question would be what kind of dedicated server would suit your business.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 03-18-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  5. #5
    I'm sorry, I'm new to this. What is VPS?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Yes you need a dedicated host, your bandwidth and visitors are clearly of such a scale you should not go for any other option. The question would be what kind of dedicated server would suit your business.
    How can you make a suggestion like that without knowing the important details. For all you know the bulk of his hits could be static files. He didn't mention any resource abuse.

    Edit: VPS
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/VPS
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,156
    The case is so clear that it even didn't have to be commented. You should get a server. Go to offers section and choose any dedicated web host.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    The case is so clear that it even didn't have to be commented. You should get a server. Go to offers section and choose any dedicated web host.
    Yeah, great advice for someone new to this, go to a section and chose any dedicated web host.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts
    438
    Yeah this is going to be a dedicated host no matter the kind of request, simply because no shared or VPS solution is really going to offer true 2 TB of bandwidth and not cancel you if you come so close to it. If its flat files, he can get away with a lower-end server, but either way the bandwidth alone makes any shared or VPS offering risky (due to overages or being turned off for resource abuse).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by NexSeven View Post
    Yeah this is going to be a dedicated host no matter the kind of request, simply because no shared or VPS solution is really going to offer true 2 TB of bandwidth and not cancel you if you come so close to it. If its flat files, he can get away with a lower-end server, but either way the bandwidth alone makes any shared or VPS offering risky (due to overages or being turned off for resource abuse).
    What kind of abuse could he do to a VPS? I see a lot of blanket statements, since no one knows what he currently has.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  11. #11
    the site/s are image rich - see http://www.skybreezegames.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    How can you make a suggestion like that without knowing the important details. For all you know the bulk of his hits could be static files. He didn't mention any resource abuse.

    Edit: VPS
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/VPS
    Look at his bandwidth and unique visitors, that spells dedicated all the way. (or a very expensive VPS with dedicated bandwidth).
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by breezy25 View Post
    the site/s are image rich - see http://www.skybreezegames.com
    Do you have a screen shot of current stats? Also what are some of the software used?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Look at his bandwidth and unique visitors, that spells dedicated all the way. (or a very expensive VPS with dedicated bandwidth).
    He never mentioned the amount of unique visitors. And what do you mean by dedicated bandwidth?

    Regardless if you get a VPS or dedicated server, be sure to have either the company fully manage it, or pay a 3rd party to manage it.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    He never mentioned the amount of unique visitors. And what do you mean by dedicated bandwidth?

    Regardless if you get a VPS or dedicated server, be sure to have either the company fully manage it, or pay a 3rd party to manage it.
    There you go ..

    We get about 1.2 million visitors a month and are growing.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    There you go ..
    He didn't actually say unique visitors.

    But anyway, no one has suggested a dedicated server provider with any specifications.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •