BIND... grrrrrrr

Yes, I'm a newb. I'm trying to get DNS to work. But BIND is so damn complicated. Root zone, master zones, slaves zones, stub zones? WTH? I setup my 2 name servers with my registrar. I have 2 IPS for my server. I used them both as name servers. But it's not working. I didn't change anything in BIND. I just started it. Nothing.

Is there an easier way?

I have no idea how to make BIND listen to them.

Are yo telling us, that you did not change anything in bind's configuration files? Yo did not add any zones to the server?

At minimal you have to create the zone files for your domains, make them load in your config, then set up the primary-secondary relationship and things like that. Well, if you're going to keep it all in the same server, you probably won't have to bother with the latter, but it's generally a good idea to have at least two separate nameservers, running on different servers (and if at all possible on separate networks) .

I'd say it's time for you to make a run for the manuals

http://www.nominum.com/resources/doc...ion/Bv9ARM.pdf

Using webmin, here's what I did:

- Added the IPs of the server to forward queries to under "Forwarding and Transfers"
    - I added a master zone for thenationnet.com

Shouldn't that be all?

Where do ns1.thenationnet.com and ns2.thenationnet.com come into play?

Btw, it doesn't work as of yet.

O'Reilly's DNS and BIND is a decent book you might be interested in purchasing. It has sure helped me

Save yourself aggravation and just use djbdns.

www.djbdns.com

BIND makes everything more complicated than it needs to be.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

bind is really easier than people think

go spend a few bucks, and get the oriely book, and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about bind.
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Ah, I just want a quick fix.

Surely somebody can help me.

Hi,

You can do all these by using webmin.

Do the following steps in order if you didn't touch anything in your BIND conf:

Step 1: Login webmin.

Step 2: Click on the Servers Icon once and wait for it to load fully. On that page, locate the BIND DNS Server link and click on it (assume you install BIND version >= 8). On the BIND DNS Server page, click on the Create a new master zone and wait for the page to load fully. Now, the loaded page will show you a form asking for the following:

Zone type: Forward
    Domain name / Network: Enter in your domain name (without the www)
    Records file: Automatic
    Master server: ns1.yourdomain.com (note... this ns should be the one you created at your domain registrar)
    Email address: [email protected] (as long as this is your valid email address)
    Leave everything else as it is and press on the Create button. After you have done that, you should be in the Edit Master Zone for your newly added domain. Find Name Server (1) and click on it so that you can add another name server. In Add Name Server Record page, there is a form there asking for the following:
    Zone Name: yourdomain.com. (remember there is one dot [.] at the end of your domain name.
    Name Server: ns2.yourdomain.com. (this should be your second name server which you have created at your domain registrar.)
    Leave everything else as it is and click on the Create button.

Ok... you have already added your domain name in BIND and now you need to point your domain name to a valid IP address by doing the following:
    Go to Edit Master Zone page for your domain and click on Address and a form with the following fields will be loaded:
    Name: yourdomin.com. (remember the ending dot)
    Address: your assigned IP address

Do the above step for your name servers (e.g. the two name servers which you have created at your domain registrar)...
    Name: ns1.yourdomin.com. (remember the ending dot)
    Address: your assigned IP address (the one you assigned when creating this name server at your domain registrar)

Do the same for your ns2.yourdomain.com.

NOTE: ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com are just an example.

If you need to make your domain email to work... this step is important... click on the Mail Server link in your Edit Master Zone for your domain then a form will be loaded asking for the following:

Name: yourdomain.com.
    Mail Server: yourdomain.com.
    Priority: 10 (should be good enough)
    Leave everything as it is and click on the Create button.

If you need other people able to reach your domain site with www in front... create a new Name Alias which can be found in your domain Edit Master Zone page. The form will ask you for the following:
    Name: www.yourdomain.com. (again... remember the ending dot)

Once you have done all of the above... you have to start/restart NAME/BIND by going to the Module Index page for BIND then scroll all the way down and find for either Apply Changes or Start Named button.

Hope this helps

Kindest regards,
    Choon
    P.S. There's no guarantee whether this will work for you... so... follow at your own risk
    Last edited by choon; 08-18-2002 at 03:16 PM.

I read the oreilly book myself (well, most of it ), I find djbdns much better to work with.

Hell, all I need is to point that name to the correct IP!
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

Well, now I have 2 zones. Root Zone and a thenationnet.com Master Zone. I did nothing more than what you told me. It still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Do not touch your Root Zone if you update via webmin.

Show us your /var/named/thenationnet.com.hosts file please.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
    Choon

Originally posted by choon
    Hi,

You can do all these by using webmin.

Do the following steps in order if you didn't touch anything in your BIND conf:

Step 1: Login webmin.

Step 2: Click on the Servers Icon once and wait for it to load fully. On that page, locate the BIND DNS Server link and click on it (assume you install BIND version >= 8). On the BIND DNS Server page, click on the Create a new master zone and wait for the page to load fully. Now, the loaded page will show you a form asking for the following:

Zone type: Forward
    Domain name / Network: Enter in your domain name (without the www)
    Records file: Automatic
    Master server: ns1.yourdomain.com (note... this ns should be the one you created at your domain registrar)
    Email address: [email protected] (as long as this is your valid email address)
    Leave everything else as it is and press on the Create button. After you have done that, you should be in the Edit Master Zone for your newly added domain. Find Name Server (1) and click on it so that you can add another name server. In Add Name Server Record page, there is a form there asking for the following:
    Zone Name: yourdomain.com. (remember there is one dot [.] at the end of your domain name.
    Name Server: ns2.yourdomain.com. (this should be your second name server which you have created at your domain registrar.)

Ok... you have already added your domain name in BIND and now you need to point your domain name to a valid IP address by doing the following:
    Go to Edit Master Zone page for your domain and click on Address and a form with the following fields will be loaded:
    Name: yourdomin.com. (remember the ending dot)
    Address: your assigned IP address

Do the above step for your name servers (e.g. the two name servers which you have created at your domain registrar)...
    Name: ns1.yourdomin.com. (remember the ending dot)
    Address: your assigned IP address (the one you assigned when creating this name server at your domain registrar)

Do the same for your ns2.yourdomain.com.

NOTE: ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com are just an example.

If you need to make your domain email to work... this step is important... click on the Mail Server link in your Edit Master Zone for your domain then a form will be loaded asking for the following:

Name: yourdomain.com.
    Mail Server: yourdomain.com.
    Priority: 10 (should be good enough)
    Leave everything as it is and click on the Create button.

If you need other people able to reach your domain site with www in front... create a new Name Alias which can be found in your domain Edit Master Zone page. The form will ask you for the following:
    Name: www.yourdomain.com. (again... remember the ending dot)

Once you have done all of the above... you have to start/restart NAME/BIND by going to the Module Index page for BIND then scroll all the way down and find for either Apply Changes or Start Named button.

Hope this helps

Kindest regards,
    Choon
    P.S. There's no guarantee whether this will work for you... so... follow at your own risk
    I SPOKE TOO SOON! IT WORKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

But if I add the www it doesn't work. Any ideas? I did add the alias.

Great to hear that it works

Check your Name Alias... did you end your domain name with a dot? Whatever changes you make... you have to restart NAMED/BIND.

Thanks.

Kidnest regards,
    Choon
    Last edited by choon; 08-18-2002 at 03:49 PM.

I did apply changes. It still won't work.

EDIT: NOW IT WORKS WITH THE WWW! I'm thinking maybe it took the records a little while to update.
    Last edited by anile8; 08-18-2002 at 04:01 PM.

If your domain DNS isn't pointing to your own name servers at your domain registrar record... most likely it won't work (err... not necessarily but I think for your case it might be). If you just update your domain DNS... remember... need time to propagate throughout the internet.

Regards,
    Choon

Can someone tell me..where do i configure BIND for cPanel.
    Is there anywhere else i need to configure BIND..beside in WHM?
    thanks. in advance.

Originally posted by choon

Creating name servers at the registrar... I dont follow that....

where do you get the IPs to create the name server?

There should be an option on your user control panel with your registrar to create nameservers. If not, you can call or email your registrar and request that they be registered and assigned IP addresses. This has to be done in order for your nameservers to work.

My regisrtrar is asking ME for the IPs......

Originally posted by M0NkEY
    My regisrtrar is asking ME for the IPs......
    The IPs you'll have to get from your host.

Ah so....
    I use

ns1.Mydomain.com
    (My hosts namserver IP 1)
    ns2.Mydomain.com
    (My hosts namserver IP 2)

thanks!

blah.... can't I also just point the ns1/ns2 at my own servers IP.... if Im setting up all the domains using bind??? or is there some other step to being a nameserver?

Originally posted by M0NkEY
    Creating name servers at the registrar... I dont follow that....

where do you get the IPs to create the name server?
    Bit of a mixup on terminology it seems.

One does not "create" Nameservers with a Registrar. One "registers" Nameservers with a Registrar.

The Nameservers are created on the Server and assigned IPs. Once that has been done, then one goes to their Registrar and inputs the Nameserver information. Then wait for propagation and that should be it.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I second all those who recomended Oreilly

You should learn it anyways, even if it is not today, otherwise you will always have problems everytime you have to deal with Bind. Also, I find BIND to be one of the easiest server apps ever. Am I really alone in this?

Regards ...

No need for an O'Reilly book. You got all you need on the net!

DNS-HOWTO: http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/
    (Three howtos, covering the three versions of BIND, that is BIND4, BIND8 and BIND9. But you should really use BIND9 and nothing else)

BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual:
    http://www.nominum.com/content/documents/bind9arm.pdf

Slipstream