The quest for a VPS Host

The quest for a VPS Host

After a few years of having our site hosted with Hostexcellence it became apparent the necessity of moving to a more dependable place, so I started to look for a VPS hosting company.

After many hours of going through Google, forums and hosting web pages I came up with a list of providers that fit my needs, or so I thought.

Here is the list:

VPSLand
    Lunarpages
    The Zone
    EMC Telecom

I have to mention that I was in Spain, visiting, although our company is located in Hollywood, Florida.

VPSLand

I did sign with VPSLand choosing their EZ-Silver VPS hosting plan at a cost of $30.00 plus $2.00 for a Plesk Reloaded(TM). Taking advantage of their first month 50% off they charged my credit card for $17.00.
    The next day my credit card was credited for the same $17.00 and never hear from them again.

Lunarpages

I placed the order with Lunarpages the 4th of March and I got a welcome letter pitching their affiliate program.
    My credit card was charged the following day for an amount of $109.95.00 that correspond to their VPS Plan hosting plus Setup fee, plus several other things. I have to point out that Lunarpages is the only VPS hosting among the ones that I reviewed that charges for setting up the system.

Same day I got the following message:
    Hello,
    Before we can approve your new hosting account, please fax the following into our offices:
    1.) Credit card used to sign up the account
    2.) Photo ID of the person's name on the credit card
    Please fax this to:
    ATTN: New Accounts
    Fax#: 714-521-8195
    Once we receive this information we will immediately process this order.
    If you do not have access to a fax machine, you can also scan this information and attach it to this email.
    Thank you.

I did comply with their request, even knowing that they had already charged my credit card, apparently they didnít need the account to be approved to grab my money.
    After unsuccessfully trying to access plesk due to having received the wrong information I decided to close my account.
    So I notified them and I this conversation ensued:

LP
    Hello,
    I have tried contacting you regarding your cancellation but was unsuccessful. Could you please provide us with better time and day to call. Aldo if you don't mind me asking, is there anything we at Lunar Pages can do to keep your business with us.
    Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to give us a call at the number listed below or simply reply to this message.
    Thank You.

Me
    I'm sorry but I think dealing with you is too much of a hassle.
    It doesn't help you misspelling my name.
    Please cancel my account ASAP.
    Regards

LP
    Hello Alberto,
    My name is Israel and I'm in contact regarding your recent cancellation request, firstly I would like to apologize for the typo in our last response the word intended was "although" we would not spell your name incorrect. I see that you are not happy with the service, if you don't mind me asking what part of the service is it that you are not happy with, i would like to make this up to you and if there is anything we can do for you please let us know.
    Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to give us a call at the number listed below or simply reply to this message.

Me
    Please specify what part of "Cancel my account ASAP" you don't understand.
    Regards

LP
    Hello,
    I have received your cancellation request and will forward this ticket to our billing department for cancellation, once everything is completed you will receive a confirmation e-mail with all the details.
    Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to give us a call at the number listed below or simply reply to this message

Mar 11, 2008 at 05:17PM
    Hello,
    I have canceled your account and refunded your credit card $79.95.
    Your account is set to close tonight from our servers.
    I hope this helps.
    --
    Best Regards,
    Richard Garcia

Mi Credit Card was credited 5 days after I did request the cancellation and they kept $30.00. Small price to lose a customer for life.

The Zone

I ordered their VM200 for $45.97 and my credit card was charged then apparently they started a verification process while my money was in their pockets.
    After a few messages back and forth on march the 12th they reckon that the order verification has failed and they were refunding the original charge.

EMC Telecom

After I sign for a VPS hosting with EMC Telecom things started to look much better than with the other three. I had ordered their VPS Deluxe with plesk for $33.95 and they verified the account without much fuss. Then I asked about live chat and this is their answer:

Live chat is availalble for sales only sporatically throughout the day and night. No set times

Support is only available via the ticket system unless you are a premium support customer.
    OK, I thought, for 46 bucks you canít expect much so, so I let it go. Then I opened a ticket asking something about DNS and their answer was just a link to the plesk tutorial.
    Next ticket was answered with this:
    You have signed up for an unmanaged VPS, which does not come with premium support and we are unable to guide you other than that in relation to problems directly related to software not working or the below mentioned items. We are very limited in what we are able to help you with.

Unfortunately, we do not provide support for third party products or setup and configuration requests, such as DNS, email, data bases, etc. unless you are a premium support customer.

We can only refer you to our online support center for further guidance. If you wish to purchase premium support, you can do so in your billing control panel under additional upgrades.

We do, however, provide support for the equipment and network in accordance with our Terms of Service.

At this very moment I was about to cancel the account but then I got the right answer to my question from a different member of the support staff.
    Next I had a bit of a problem with FTP but it was competently solved by the support personnel.
    Then, yesterday I ask another question and their answer went like this:

Please read your user guide.

And that was it; instead of reading their user guide what I read was their Cancellation Policy.

So here I am still looking for A VPS Hosting company that understand what internet is all about and donít became suspicious because Iím in Spain ordering a service for an American corporation, a company with support personnel that understand that we are trying to make things work and don't have the time to go through an obscure manual just to find what your DNS are.

Sorry to hear that asanchez, I too was a victim of VPSLand's terrible support.

Sorry you got so unlucky with The Zone and EMC. If you do find a good reasonably priced VPS, do tell us
    http://www.jdaigle.net/ - My portfolio
    http://www.logicdeck.com/ - Awesome tutorials and webmaster resources!

Knownhost, WiredTree and SteadFast based on reviews are all top VPS providers for uptime and support. I have an account with WT but I did a lot of research and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

If your in Spain would you not be better with a EU VPS ?
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Hi asanchez,

A lot of hosts will check to prevent fraud when addresses, credit cards and locations don't match by requiring photo id. It's unfortunate, but they have to protect themselves.

But I can give a ten thumbs up to Known Host. Right now they have a special offer for managed hosting at a very reasonable price. And so far their support is next to none. They are great. Wired Tree and Steadfast also have great reputations in here. Good luck in your search, but definitely investigate those three.

Regarding the last EMC host review, I would like to point out that the support was completely right to give such a response if you were unmanaged.

However, I also feel that 46 bucks for an unmanaged VPS is a little high (depending on specs), and you can probably get a managed VPS elsewhere with that price.

Quote Originally Posted by asanchez View Post

The Zone

I ordered their VM200 for $45.97 and my credit card was charged then apparently they started a verification process while my money was in their pockets.
    After a few messages back and forth on march the 12th they reckon that the order verification has failed and they were refunding the original charge.
    Alberto, that's exactly how fraud verification works. You have to place the order first, pay and if there are any "red flags" that get raised (such as the case was in your situation), we have to request further information and be pretty thorough to make sure that we're not going to get hit with massive chargebacks down the road or terminate your server for spamming/phishing.

The hosting industry is teeming with fraudsters, spammers and scamsters. We're just trying to protect ourselves as well as our potential customers, I hope you understand.

I have confirmed that your refund was issued (we VOID'ed the charge) the day you said you couldn't provide the required extra information (around the 12th). If you did not get that charge removed from your card, please contact our billing department we can look up the transaction for you and contact your bank.

Good luck with your continued search.

@asanchez

You really can't knock a company for taking precautions when signing up customers. As a matter of fact if a company did not do these things I would never sign up with them! And it looks like they promptly processed your refund.

I have a couple of providers that I could recommend (who also have great reveiws) but they all have solid verification policies.

I have a recent account with WT and I must confess I am overwhelmed with their support.

Thats really unlucky and weird mate.

But what ZONE.NET did, wasn't anything wrong.

Regards

Hi asanchez!

I've been reviewing a variety of new VPS hosts myself... if you're okay spending about $30-$60 a month and want top-of-the-line, feel free to check out some basic info I've got on 'em here

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=685591

Hope it proves helpful!

Out of all this Alberto I can't believe lunar said your name wrong, how rude .