computer not recognized my sata drive in its usb enclosure

so i bought a antec mx-100 usb enclosure drive for my sata hd back up i got from my server company and i put the hard drive in the enclosure, turn it on and i hear it spinning so i plug it into the computer and i see the drivers install but nothing shows up as far as storage on the computer. i restart and still nothing. ive tried this on 3 different computers (1 vista 64 bit and the other xp2) and the drivers install but nothing happens. the antec site is of no help and their cust service is closed. i want to try and find a solution to this issue tonight. thanks!

What do you see if you go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management?

Keep in mind that the disk may well not be NTFS, in which case Windows may not understand what to do with it. Knowing what type of host it came from would help.
    I think the server saw what was required of it and just committed suicide instead.

There should be bridge plug-in, is there any? You may need to use that plug-in with the driver.
    Sysfirm
    So you think your server is secure?
    Try our security Service
    With SysFirm

I know one thing for sure and it is that the new hardware doesn't recognize XP or any other OS. That is why most of the new pcs and laptops have preinstalled Vista on them. Try to contact the manufacturer and confirm what sort of Os you should be running it on.

Is the drive preformatted? You may have to go into Disk Management and format it plus assign it a drive letter. One problem I have seen in XP but yet to see it in Vista, is that the computer forgets to assign the external device a drive letter. It sees a conflict and simply doesn't assign one. So you have to go into Computer management and assign one manually.
    Atech St. Louis - Web Hosting - Website builder - 24/7 Support
    Dads In Distress - Dads helping Dads in Distress

Quote Originally Posted by HoundOfTheSmith View Post
    What do you see if you go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management?

Keep in mind that the disk may well not be NTFS, in which case Windows may not understand what to do with it. Knowing what type of host it came from would help.
    on windows vista when i go to at > cm > dm i see the disk when i plug it in and when i unplug it it goes away but it doesnt have a letter assigned to it. i saw in the post above that i need to assign a letter to it, how do i go about doing that? its a linux os disk so i doubt its NTFS.

if the letter assignment doesnt work then how do i go about with the bridge plug in solution?

many thanks for the help!

ok following the instructions here: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=631 i tried to change the letter drive but the option to change it is greyed out. i dont want to format because there is data on the disk, so where do i go from here?

thanks

This is from XP pro [probably similar in Vista]

First log in as Admin.

Open Computer Management

type compmgmt.msc in Start, Run , Ok

Or go to Control Panel > (Performance and Maintenance)> Administrative Tools > Computer Management

In Computer Management go to System tools > Device Manager > Disk drives

If your new disk is detected and enabled it should be shown there under the main disk. If it is disabled it should have a red x mark on the icon. To enable it right click and select enable.

If your new disk is not shown there probably it is not detected. Right click on 'Disk Drives' title and select Scan for Hardware changes. After scan your new disk should be shown or may ask you to initialize.

To change drive letters in the same console go to Storage > Disk management

Here you will see a text / graphical list of all the drives shown as System, Active, Healthy etc.

Right click on any drive to change drive letter, format or delete.

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    This is from XP pro [probably similar in Vista]

First log in as Admin.

Open Computer Management

type compmgmt.msc in Start, Run , Ok

Or go to Control Panel > (Performance and Maintenance)> Administrative Tools > Computer Management

In Computer Management go to System tools > Device Manager > Disk drives

If your new disk is detected and enabled it should be shown there under the main disk. If it is disabled it should have a red x mark on the icon. To enable it right click and select enable.

If your new disk is not shown there probably it is not detected. Right click on 'Disk Drives' title and select Scan for Hardware changes. After scan your new disk should be shown or may ask you to initialize.

To change drive letters in the same console go to Storage > Disk management

Here you will see a text / graphical list of all the drives shown as System, Active, Healthy etc.

Right click on any drive to change drive letter, format or delete.
    shows up in xp, the only option i see under disk management is delete partition and help. every other disk except the sata one has a letter assigned to it. i see it is broken down in blocks and it says 102 MB Healthy (Active) 957 MB Health (Unknown Partition) 231.85 GB Healthy (Unknown Partition) and in each one of these blocks the change drive letter option is greyed out. i noticed in vista i had an option to change toa dynamic drive but i dont think that would help. i appreciate your assistance.

You can try this:

Install TweakUI

Download from: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

After installing run TweakUI and navigate to My Computer > Drives

That will show you a list of A to Z letters of drives existing and non-existing. Check all of them and click apply. [Unchecking will hide a drive]

Open My Computer Explorer and see if the drives of the new disk are showing up.

As someone has mentioned above the problem could be because of different type of formatting.

Call up the server company and ask them what type of formating is done on the disk and what os they would use to access it

If an os is installed you can try connecting it to the data cable which is connected to the first disk which normally has the os [I think it is Disk 0]. Starting the computer with the disk in this postion will probably load the os.

Or you can also install an os using a bootdisk [Example: 98 or ME bootdisk to install on a FAT32 formatted disk. You can get the bootdisk in bootdisk.com or mybootdisks.com]

Thank God for Western Digital HD's LOL
    Professional Plesk Webhosting.
    No overselling.
    Always available for you.
    http://www.64bithost.com - 1-352-3164619

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    You can try this:

Install TweakUI

Download from: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

After installing run TweakUI and navigate to My Computer > Drives

That will show you a list of A to Z letters of drives existing and non-existing. Check all of them and click apply. [Unchecking will hide a drive]

Open My Computer Explorer and see if the drives of the new disk are showing up.
    yeah everything is checked and its still not showing up. i guess its because of the formatting that neither xp or vista is recognizing. i just thought i could simply transfer files to my computer as a backup. guess not i apprciate everyones help