Public thank you to Iron Mountain

This is my first post and it may be in the wrong place.

My web partner and I (she in the US and me in UK) run nearly 20 sites now, all bar one are Drupal CMS sites, and all bar 3 are non-paying, non-profit or charity sites. This is a hobby that got out of hand
    We were on Bluehost for over 18 months and despite paying extra for CPU usage (the grey screen of doom was a constant companion for ages) the support went way downhill, our sites had database errors all the time and general downtime was increasing. We admit to putting a strain on the budget hosting limits (even though they say there are none).
    When learning about webdesign, the Bluehost set up was very user friendly and their domain hosting remains brill. I have had to move domains from other registrars a number of times now and never fail to be amazed at how difficult some make it.
    But we needed to move and were rightly scared at the prospect of moving over 25 large databases (Drupal, phpBB3 and Coppermine).
    We contacted various hosting companies, told them all that we needed a reliable host who wouldnt tell us every error was our fault, would understand our needs and respond quickly.
    We settled on a dedicated server on Iron Mountain, after their honest and friendly email replies. And I really needed to come and say a public thank you to them for making our move this week amazingly smooth. Truly.
    No problem too small, all queries answered with humour and speedily. All sites are now up and running quickly with no major errors or even minor ones really. I read on the Drupal website of people with major issues with database moves, and only involving one database. I am sure that our experience was made simple by the professionalism and great support from the imountain team.
    I will come back and tell you in a few months how the ongoing hosting compares, but will heartily recommend imountain for anyone considering a huge move with a lot of sites.
    If I have posted this in the wrong place I apologise, admins please move / delete if necessary.

I host with Iron Mountain and I can tell you this: You won't regret it. Their support guys are top notch and their servers are lightning quick. Very little downtime in the 7 1/2 months that I have been there. One time was a RAID fault with their MySQL cluster, another was something beyond their control (their ISP messed up), and the last was a UPS failure. Not bad, as the downtime with all 3 was very limited.

Glad to hear that, thanks. Never thought I would want to sing the praises of a hosting company, but as relative newbies we were worried about having to move so many sites. It must be a worry for many designers I suppose.
    Bluehost were great when we started, cPanel and Fantastico made things very easy, but we seriously outgrew them.
    And the whole move has been remarkably easy with imountain. Thanks guys.

I almost hosted with Bluehost, as they are also in the western US (I am in California, as my username alludes to); but there are a few reasons why I did not. Some of those are:

1. Bluehost uses 2cpu servers - my sites need more power than that.
    2. They oversell IMHO.
    3. I checked the cPanel demo on Bluehost.com just to see if they were any good - the test server had 97% disk space used!!! That really didn't give me a good impression, at all!

Now for some of the other, main reasons why I went with Iron Mountain:

1. They are in Pomona, California - only a 30 mile drive or so north of me.
    2. Their servers are clustered.
    3. Their servers are more powerful.
    4. They use solar power - great for if the local electrical grid ever crashes. Or if we ever have a flood, earthquake, tornado, 2006 or 2007-style heat wave, etc... .
    5. When I signed up, their support and sales guys were very quick to help me and answer all my questions. Responses in under a half hour were commonplace.

...and more. Now you all know why I went with (and continue to host with) Iron Mountain.

There are good things about Bluehost. They are great registrars. If you are a newbie webmaster and only have small sites, it is all simple and easy. They have live chat which is great if you live in the UK like me and cant phone. Most of the support is friendly but they are seriously struggling right now. Phonecalls and livechat are a nightmare timewise.

But I am here to say how refreshing the experience with Iron Mountain has been. I always feel like I am in communication with someone who is interested, wants to help and gives that extra something. And look forward to great hosting times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by calidude View Post

4. They use solar power - great for if the local electrical grid ever crashes. Or if we ever have a flood, earthquake, tornado, 2006 or 2007-style heat wave, etc... .
    Really? So, their fully solar powered now?
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 40sixty View Post
    Really? So, their fully solar powered now?
    Yeah, they finally have their solar panels up. It was posted somewhere else on here. From what I heard, the ONLY time they ever use Public Utilities is when they have to blast the a/c in summer (as it gets very hot sometimes at their DC in Pomona - 100 degree plus Fahrenheit temps are commonplace at their location). It's 100% solar in winter and like 80% to 90% solar in summer with the remainder coming off the public electrical grid from what they told me.

Quote Originally Posted by calidude View Post
    Yeah, they finally have their solar panels up. It was posted somewhere else on here. From what I heard, the ONLY time they ever use Public Utilities is when they have to blast the a/c in summer (as it gets very hot sometimes at their DC in Pomona - 100 degree plus Fahrenheit temps are commonplace at their location). It's 100% solar in winter and like 80% to 90% solar in summer with the remainder coming off the public electrical grid from what they told me.
    I still don't see them being 100% solar powered as it would take several panels(more than what they show in their blog and then some) get enough power for all those servers.

Now if they were using wind power, and said they were 100% wind powered then I could see that.
    Charles

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Neosmith View Post
    I still don't see them being 100% solar powered as it would take several panels(more than what they show in their blog and then some) get enough power for all those servers.

Now if they were using wind power, and said they were 100% wind powered then I could see that.
    I'm not sure how much power they require, you would have to ask them about that. We here in southern California are lucky to have a rather sunny climate, with only a few very cloudy days (save for the rare wet spells that we have - but when we get them, it's usually welcome. )

KLS010,

You ladies were a pleasure to work with, thank you very much for the kind words.

Calidude,
    Thankyou for providing your useful information. We've been solar powered since last year.

Greetings Charles/NeoSmith

In your opinion, how many solar panels would we need to have to power our hosting?
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    KLS010,

You ladies were a pleasure to work with, thank you very much for the kind words.

Calidude,
    Thankyou for providing your useful information. We've been solar powered since last year.

In your opinion, how many solar panels would we need to have to power our hosting?
    You're welcome sir.

Funny how I was just talking to you guys a couple hours ago...

KLS010,

Calidude,

I said I don't see yall being 100% solar powered. I am not saying that yall are not solar powered.
    Yall "did" say on your site that yall were 100% solar powered then yall changed it.

iMountain, are you saying that you are 100% solar powered?? Yes or No

Here is more info for other readers:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=imountain
    Charles

Read what you wrote Charles, you said "it would take severa panels...more...to power all those servers.

So how many would we need Charles?

I've noticed in the past you said we didn't have solar panels just because you felt like saying it. Now that you see solar panels you say it is not enough. Next thing you're gonna say there's not enough sunshine in California
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Read what you wrote Charles, you said "it would take severa panels...more...to power all those servers.

I've noticed in the past you said we didn't have solar panels just because you felt like saying it. Now that you see solar panels you say it is not enough. Next thing you're gonna say there's not enough sunshine in California
    So I shouldn't have said that it would take way more solar panels that what yall have. I don't know how many panels it would take as I don't know how many servers you have, the power use of them, etc...

Now my question: Are you 100% solar powered web hosting?
    As stated before, you said you were 100% solar powered web hosting on your site but yall then removed the 100% part.
    Charles

Thumbs up

And trust me, imountain means that. We've had plenty of sunshine here lately. No rain in almost a month, save for a small bit over the weekend last weekend. We are lucky to get as much sunshine as we do where we live.

So I shouldn't have said that it would take way more solar panels that what yall have. I don't know how many panels it would take as I don't know how many servers you have, the power use of them, etc...
    Thankyou, that was my point, you did not know how many panels needed nor how many servers we have so there is no logical way to conclude we don't have enough solar panels.

Now my question: Are you 100% solar powered web hosting?
    As stated before, you said you were 100% solar powered web hosting on your site but yall then removed the 100% part.
    Absolutely, our webhosting business is still 100% solar powered under most circumstances unless we get really heavy cloud cover/multiple storms, etc...but here in California, most days are sunny enough

Last year we had excess solar energy and was able to sell some of it back. This year, we grew so quickly that we could not keep up so we consolidated multiple servers into fewer more powerful machines. We have not used the 100% slogan because we are starting to offer colocation services which will NOT be solar powered unless specifically requested. Our budget dedicated servers are also not on solar energy.

In a few weeks we are adding another ~60 panels, still awaiting permit approval.

It's not reflected on our site because there's alot of things missing from our website, not just the 100% solar. We actually don't spend much time on our website because most of our clients come from direct contact via our sales reps.

I hope that answers your questions. If there are further questions regarding solar energy, please post a new topic as this is our client's review after all. Please keep all further comments directed towards the OP's review.

Thank you.
    Last edited by imountain; 03-19-2008 at 06:33 PM.