Thread: Hard Raid

Hard Raid

Hi

Can any1 help me with a simple guide or web link.
    I have a dedicated from ovh.
    Heres the specs

Intel Core2Duo E6750
    2x 2.66 Ghz
    Dual Core

2 GB DDR 2
    2x 750 GB
    SATA2 RAID HARD 1

Now basicaly i dont want the hard raid i wana see both 750gig drives.
    Now ive bin told u can only do this through the raid bios?
    So if any1 has a guide or any helpful comments i would be very gratful.
    Its running windows web.
    I can install any os i want,Im not very friendly with linux but if thats the only option then id give it a shot.

many thanx

Your provider should be able to make the changes required for you probably. If not you will need KVM access or something to access the BIOS... I think? Best wait until somebody more knowledgeable replies

That's correct, you'd need physical or Kvm over IP access to get to the raid BIOS, however some raid cards do offer limited software based management from your OS.

In any case, any reason why Ovh won't help you with this?

All it takes is a reboot and going into the hardware raid array configuration menu to delete the array and restart the system. It wouldn't take them very long to clear out the raid config.

This is the reply i got from a ticket i sent

To give you support on changing your hardware RAID settings raises some liability issues, so I can only link you to this forum: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96 from where I trust you will be able to resolve the problem.

Kind regards, Folarin

Mmm liability...What do they mean by this.

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005 View Post
    This is the reply i got from a ticket i sent

To give you support on changing your hardware RAID settings raises some liability issues, so I can only link you to this forum: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96 from where I trust you will be able to resolve the problem.

Kind regards, Folarin

Mmm liability...What do they mean by this.
    Ok so they dont want to be held responsible if data goes missing or something. They want you to carry out the procedure. However - that thread doesn't seem much help if you ask me. Have you tried telephoning them? They really should be able to do this for you, perhaps at a cost.

Yes i think thats what i will do tommorow.
    Just seems stupid for me to do it as il have to uninstall windows load another os athen reinstall windows.
    But the data i already have on there,i doubt that would be lost anyways.

It may be possible to do a non-destructive removal of the raid array, I'd just be hesitant to advise it with Ovh not being that willing to help.

First back up all your data so you can restore it if needed (you should already have a backup yes?). Then try asking them if they're willing to at least try, worst case it sounds like they were going to have you rebuild it anyway with a fresh install. Offer to email or fax your request so they're covered.

If it goes well you'll just need to format the newly detected 2nd drive via the disk management tool in windows.

I have mailded them and basicaly asked can they do it as im not familiar with linux.
    I also said i take full responisibilty if i loose any of my data.

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005 View Post
    I have mailded them and basicaly asked can they do it as im not familiar with linux.
    I also said i take full responisibilty if i loose any of my data.
    Ok let us know how you get on

You shouldn't really need to be familiar with Linux since you're running Windows, the RAID isn't relying on Linux or anything - as others said there should be some RAID BIOS where you can change settings.

If I'm not mistaken, converting a hardware (or software, for that matter) RAID 1 to a non-RAID setup is usually a destructive process. Most RAID controllers don't provide that functionality (they throw up all kinds of scary warning messages like "this will destroy *all* of your data"), and you have to be *really* good to do this on a software RAID. This is due to the way the RAID handles the disk formatting, and it usually requires you to delete the current array and start over. If that is so, then your data would be completely lost, and they would need to do a fresh OS install on your server.

You are not mistaken dexxtreme.

Slayer2005 I wouldn't do this if you have data on your machine already. I have tried this before many years ago and it didn't go so well. I was saved by a full system backup.

Honestly, just back everything up, since you are potentially going to change operating systems you have to do that anyway.

Order is:

1) Backup your data OFFSITE OR OFFSERVER
    2) Verify your backed up data (please)
    3) Back it up again in another place
    4) Get OVM to reconfigure the raid to raid 0 and reinittialize the array or just break it into 2 750 gb drives.
    5) Reload operating system of your choice
    6) Install your applications
    7) Restore data
    8) Go have a nice lie down and perhaps a beer before.

Ok guys heres the update...

Dear Steven,

You will have to use vKVM to access the BIOS, log into your Manager, select the server in question and on the next screen select the "Netboot" icon. You will be able to choose the vKVM option on the drop down list and accept. Then you can reboot the server, and the vKVM login password will be emailed to you. you will be able to gain access to BIOS that way.

((there was me thinking great))

Then this...
    Dear Steven,

Please disregard my last email, as vKVM can't be used to access BIOS afterall. The only thing I can suggest using twi_cli, but we can't support you with that if there were to be a problem.

It seems odd that they won't do this for you when you're willing to accept data loss and put it in writing for them... too bad eh. I guess the spec on their site does quote that it will be setup in RAID 1 though, but I understand we're you're coming from - most would think it is possible to have the RAID destroyed with their assistance too.