Is this forum spondered by steadfast? or I'm looking for a new host

I see a lot of promotion here for steadfast. They look pretty good, but I'm leary of so many recommendations for a single company. I've also read a recent thread about someone moving over to them and having downtime.

Which brings me to my dilemma and probably the dilemma of many others. I want a new host. I have a vps with "the planet", but I hate it. Right now I can't use the php mail() function on any of my sites, and I can't get any help on it. Everytime I log into virtuosso to do something I need to do, I find tickets opened for me about security issues that I'm being warned about. I don't have the time to manage a server at the planet. I've never had so many problems with a redhat installation, and I've setup a few where everything just works after setup.

So I want a new host. I'll probably be looking at hosting 20 sites by the end of the year. I would like them to be completely seperate of each other. I tried westhost, and while they seemed pretty good, their mail configuration is really stupid. You can host multiple domains, but once you create a user (for example info@), that user is the email box for all domains. So info can access [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]. Not good seperation.

One of my sites could demand some heavy usage if I market it well. So I'd like a host that can help me upgrade with little downtime when the time comes. Not scam me out on overage charges or shut me off, but help me.

I used to like the idea of smaller comapanies that own their own data center. But as I ask about steadfast, if they are heavily promoted, they might not be able to handle expansion and their service could degrade over time. So is it better to go with a huge host or a smaller one? I'm not so concerned about a reasonable price as much as I am about speed, uptime and 24/7 customer service, although I will start a new host with a small package.

I want everything to work at my host. I don't want to troubleshoot basic functionality

I thought serverpoint.com might be good, but I ran two chat sessions with a not-so-great english speaker that seemed over worked. Red flag. a2hosting seems like a winner as well, but their site is very slow to load. Steadfast might be good, but their chat support is offline right now during regular business hours. I'm very critical on the 24/7 support.

I need php 4 & 5, mysql 5, host multiple domains, with SEPERATE email, mod_rewrite, ssh access to setup some scripts for parsing & dumping incoming email into a database instead of a mailbox. I would like ruby on rails and python for future use. I'd like my DNS issues to be managed quickly. I'd be happy to start off with a non-oversold entry level (lightly resellable) package with someone reliable that I could grow with over the next few years.

I'm leaning towards a company like steadfast. $20 month non-oversold package with some room to play is fine. Just want a well established company with a good track record.

Thanks for any opinions!

Also NEED web based email programs available, and the one site that could use heavy resources in the future with be dealing with images.

When you say your looking at "steadfast," do you mean the major datacenter Steadfast Networks or the smaller host, steadFAST hosting?

If your referring to the datacenter, Steadfast Networks, then yes they do have a good name around here.

To answer your original question, no, this forum is not sponsored by steadfast.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    When you say your looking at "steadfast," do you mean the major datacenter Steadfast Networks or the smaller host, steadFAST hosting?

If your referring to the datacenter, Steadfast Networks, then yes they do have a good name around here.
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm thinkin the Chicago based steadfast, not the New Zealand one?

I don't have the time to manage a server
    That's not exactly the provider's fault, unless it's a managed server/VPS. Is it so?

a2hosting seems like a winner as well, but their site is very slow to load.
    They've got a ~500KB page, calling 65 files. That's not exactly a light page. It took ~8 seconds to load here.

Judging hosts based on their site's performance is not exactly accurate I'm afraid, even if only for the reason that a host may take special care of its own site, but not so much of those of customers.

I'm very critical on the 24/7 support.
    Just because live chat is not available, it doesn't mean the tickets system is not manned 24/7. Hosts' chat is often manned by level 1 techs anyway, so most complicated issues will require a ticket anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by edacsac View Post
    Steadfast might be good, but their chat support is offline right now during regular business hours. I'm very critical on the 24/7 support.
    Ignore the "Offline" chat support status at Steadfast Networks. I was a little concerned about this as well, but I can assure you, they answer their support tickets VERY quickly, at all hours of the day.

I'm approaching the end of my first month with Steadfast Networks. It has not been without problems, but their support staff have been very quick to address my concerns.

I'm trying to be realistic however... It is "just" shared hosting, and it is a very inexpensive service.

What I am uneasy about, is that I've hosted previously with HostGator, AsixHost, 1and1, Dreamhost, and a few others over the past 10+ years. I believe I've submitted 1 support ticket during that time. I've had to submit several to Steadfast over the past few weeks. That is a bit concerning - but, again, the response to them has been very quick, and for the most part, I've generally been quite satisfied with the results.

I will certainly be posting more thorough reviews here when I have a more accurate measure of their longer-term performance. Right now, the jury is still out. I hope it works out, because there's a lot that I do like about Steadfast.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by tjthayer View Post
    Ignore the "Offline" chat support status at Steadfast Networks. I was a little concerned about this as well, but I can assure you, they answer their support tickets VERY quickly, at all hours of the day.

I'm approaching the end of my first month with Steadfast Networks. It has not been without problems, but their support staff have been very quick to address my concerns.

I'm trying to be realistic however... It is "just" shared hosting, and it is a very inexpensive service.

What I am uneasy about, is that I've hosted previously with HostGator, AsixHost, 1and1, Dreamhost, and a few others over the past 10+ years. I believe I've submitted 1 support ticket during that time. I've had to submit several to Steadfast over the past few weeks. That is a bit concerning - but, again, the response to them has been very quick, and for the most part, I've generally been quite satisfied with the results.

I will certainly be posting more thorough reviews here when I have a more accurate measure of their longer-term performance. Right now, the jury is still out. I hope it works out, because there's a lot that I do like about Steadfast.
    I just now almost signed up with them before I read your post. I don't want to mess with a lot of support tickets. Thanks for mentioning that. For my own sites, might not be big deal, but working with other customers, I don't want lots of problems.

...AsixHost...
    That would be, of course, AxisHost. (A bit dyslexic today).

I just now almost signed up with them before I read your post. I don't want to mess with a lot of support tickets. Thanks for mentioning that. For my own sites, might not be big deal, but working with other customers, I don't want lots of problems.
    Well, I'm still hoping it will settle down shortly and I can enjoy their services without the need to submit another ticket.

Since most reviews of Steadfast are pretty good, I'm attributing my short run of problems as a bit of bad luck. Like I said, they are very quick to offer support - I just don't like to have to contact support to begin with.

Well, I'm still hoping it will settle down shortly and I can enjoy their services without the need to submit another ticket.

Since most reviews of Steadfast are pretty good, I'm attributing my short run of problems as a bit of bad luck. Like I said, they are very quick to offer support - I just don't like to have to contact support to begin with.
    My sympathies too - I'm experienced, when I'm contacting support, invariably they have an issue, not me. (I've already done my testing). My current host takes up way too much time with me doing that testing first, then working my way through various levels of support until someone with a clue actually finds the problem and fixes it!

So, if I might pose you a question: why didn't you stick with hostgator?

Quote Originally Posted by Webicon View Post
    My sympathies too - I'm experienced, when I'm contacting support, invariably they have an issue, not me. (I've already done my testing). My current host takes up way too much time with me doing that testing first, then working my way through various levels of support until someone with a clue actually finds the problem and fixes it!
    This isn't so much of any issue with Steadfast (so far). Their support guys take the tickets pretty seriously and have never assumed the problem was on my end. I am an IT professional with close to 20 years of experience in all aspects of IT, from very large shops to very small, so I don't take it lightly when someone suggests that I don't know what I'm talking about - or that a reported problem isn't really on their end.

Like I said, that has not been the case with Steadfast though. If it had, I would already be gone and y'all would know the intimate details of the reasons.

So, if I might pose you a question: why didn't you stick with hostgator?
    My reasons are a bit hard to explain here, and probably wouldn't make sense to anyone other than me. But, I never had a problem with support at HostGator, nor did I ever have any technical issues. I've used them twice in the past, and likely will again someday.

- trimmed-... so I don't take it lightly when someone suggests that I don't know what I'm talking about - or that a reported problem isn't really on their end.
    Hear, hear. I agree. Worse yet is when you send them everything they need to know and they clearly don't read the ticket because they ask you a question you already answered in the ticket...

[QUOTE=tjthayer;5014092]- trimmed-...
    My reasons are a bit hard to explain here, and probably wouldn't make sense to anyone other than me. But, I never had a problem with support at HostGator, nor did I ever have any technical issues. I've used them twice in the past, and likely will again someday[QUOTE]

OK... were you using them as a reseller?

OK... were you using them as a reseller?
    No, I never used HostGator as a reseller. Just shared hosting.

Right now I can't use the php mail() function on any of my sites, and I can't get any help on it. Everytime I log into virtuosso to do something I need to do, I find tickets opened for me about security issues that I'm being warned about. I don't have the time to manage a server at the planet. I've never had so many problems with a redhat installation, and I've setup a few where everything just works after setup.
    If you don't have time to manage a VPS, perhaps you can get a system admin or a quality shared hosting account? We also tend to advise people not to get a VPS when quality shared hosting is much easier to use with no management issues.

Also, phpmail is a simple problem. If you give some background on the problem, perhaps I can help you fix it. Just post your symptoms.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post

steadFAST Hosting has been shutdown, so that should end all confusion on that matter.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I used to like the idea of smaller comapanies that own their own data center. But as I ask about steadfast, if they are heavily promoted, they might not be able to handle expansion and their service could degrade over time. So is it better to go with a huge host or a smaller one? I'm not so concerned about a reasonable price as much as I am about speed, uptime and 24/7 customer service, although I will start a new host with a small package.

Steadfast might be good, but their chat support is offline right now during regular business hours. I'm very critical on the 24/7 support.
    First of all, we're not all that small. We don't play in the same shared hosting game for the mass market as say HostGator or DreamHost, and in the end, shared hosting is a small part of our overall business, but as a company, I wouldn't say we're small anymore.

As for the live chat, the live chat is used for sales, not for support. We offer 24/7 support via phone, email, and our ticket system.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

So at this point I'm choosing between steadfast and downtownhosting. I've talked to folks at both and both where accomodating (downtown more so). Price wise it seems downtown is good on the lower end services but seems to get more expensive as you move into reseller and semi dedicated. steadfast gets more economical as you follow the upgrade prices. Maybe steadfast gets better prices on bandwidth?

Now I'm more confused. I really would like to have at least a reseller plan, but don't need it at the moment. So I could start with DTH, but pay quite a bit extra when I need to upgrade.

Both companies don't list everything, like ecommerce apps (don't know if steadfast provides any).

So maybe I can decide by speed? Who would you say is faster? anyone have some some sites to link that I can compare?

Bunny would like to answer the fundamental question :

Is this forum sponsored by steadfast?

Ans. Bunny thinks not !! If it were bunny would ask steadfast to sponsor his sites too than, sponsorship does not exist these days mate.

PS: their support(steadfast) is good enough unless you are noob when it comes to trying to fix your issues first yourself !!

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    As for the live chat, the live chat is used for sales, not for support. We offer 24/7 support via phone, email, and our ticket system.
    Karl - That confused me at first as well. If the live chat is not for support, maybe the link it shouldn't say "Live Support".

So at this point I'm choosing between steadfast and downtownhosting. I've talked to folks at both and both where accomodating (downtown more so). Price wise it seems downtown is good on the lower end services but seems to get more expensive as you move into reseller and semi dedicated. steadfast gets more economical as you follow the upgrade prices. Maybe steadfast gets better prices on bandwidth?

Now I'm more confused. I really would like to have at least a reseller plan, but don't need it at the moment. So I could start with DTH, but pay quite a bit extra when I need to upgrade.

Both companies don't list everything, like ecommerce apps (don't know if steadfast provides any).

So maybe I can decide by speed? Who would you say is faster? anyone have some some sites to link that I can compare?
    In my opinion (whatever that's worth), you've narrowed it down to a couple of very good companies. I never used Downtownhost, but they were in my "final three" candidates as well the last time I changed providers.

I would still consider them, should the need ever arise. However, I'm quite happy with Steadfast Networks at the moment, so hopefully I wont need to change again in the near future.

Phhhttt... I've eliminated both providers due to requirements. Back to the drawing board!

Phhhttt... I've eliminated both providers due to requirements. Back to the drawing board!
    Just out of curiosity, which requirement(s)?

Just out of curiosity, which requirement(s)?
    I have a bunch of pipe commands in my current email boxes that fire off scripts and do database thnigs, so that rules out steadfast since their email servers are seperate from web servers. If I do any kind of reselling or even minor support for my clients, I need the ability to access control panels from my place of employment. With the firewall rules in place at my work, that rules out any http requests on any other port than :80. So any cPanel version is no good for me.

I actually don't know where to turn at this point.

I have a bunch of pipe commands in my current email boxes that fire off scripts and do database thnigs, so that rules out steadfast since their email servers are seperate from web servers. If I do any kind of reselling or even minor support for my clients, I need the ability to access control panels from my place of employment. With the firewall rules in place at my work, that rules out any http requests on any other port than :80. So any cPanel version is no good for me.

I actually don't know where to turn at this point.
    Couldn't you have the scripts retrieve the email via POP3 or IMAP instead of needing to use pipes? I'd imagine the email piping would be an issue with a very large number of larger hosts.

Hi!
    Thanks for considering us for your hosting needs, you can use Cpanel proxy to access to Cpanel through the port 80 (same does apply for webmail), also, I read at the Cpanel forum that they are going to implement some sort of proxy already integrated with Cpanel to make the control panel/webmail available on the port 80 too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

What do you mean "you can use Cpanel proxy to access to Cpanel/Webmail". Do you mean using a third party proxy service? Or is there some built in feature that Cpanel hosts support?

I mean http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpanelproxy
    It's a 3rd party script that's installed in your account to redirect to the port 80
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I need a host. My customer is getting pissed off becuase thats the only thing keeping his new site from being seen, and it's all my fault because I can't decide. There are way too many hosts, with too many different offerings. I'm finding iron mountain to be really fast from pages I've found to hosted there. Like type in url, hit enter, page is done. So now I have another to throw to the mix.

I believe it's going to take at least another 3 weeks to decide on a host, so if someone needs a website customer I have one for you! I'm going to loose them while spending time researching hosts.

The problem that you'll face with most of them about the port is the same, We use Cpanel, therefore, without Cpanelproxy you need to get access to the port 2082/2083-2095/2096. With Hsphere, you need access to 8080 and 8443 (if I'm not wrong), Directadmin the port 2222, PLESK port 8443, and so on.

With the firewall rules in place at my work, that rules out any http requests on any other port than :80. So any cPanel version is no good for me.
    A crude solution would be to setup a proxy server going through an open port, and through this you can do your work freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    The problem that you'll face with most of them about the port is the same, We use Cpanel, therefore, without Cpanelproxy you need to get access to the port 2082/2083-2095/2096. With Hsphere, you need access to 8080 and 8443 (if I'm not wrong), Directadmin the port 2222, PLESK port 8443, and so on.
    Greetings Jedito

You're 100% right, those are indeed the default ports for H-Sphere 8443 (https) and 8080 (http).

However, they can be easily changed, we were running into more and more company firewalls that didn't allow high range access. It's quite easy to change in H-Sphere, you just have to notify your clients WAYYY ahead of time. We notified our clients 3 months in advance and still had a few stragglers using an old port .
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    As H-Sphere is made to work on separate systems, etc. you can select the port of the control panel. We use a dedicated control panel server, thus it is running on port 443, as it uses SSL.

I need a host. My customer is getting pissed off becuase thats the only thing keeping his new site from being seen, and it's all my fault because I can't decide. There are way too many hosts, with too many different offerings. I'm finding iron mountain to be really fast from pages I've found to hosted there. Like type in url, hit enter, page is done. So now I have another to throw to the mix.

I believe it's going to take at least another 3 weeks to decide on a host, so if someone needs a website customer I have one for you! I'm going to loose them while spending time researching hosts.
    If you can pick a Cpanel host, all your problems will be solved :-) That is, pick one, set up the customer, and get them on-line now. You can always transfer their site from one cpanel host to another easily. Mail can all be transferred over too. If you tweak the DNS records to have TTL's of an hour a few days before you move them, you can change thier location in an hour late at night and nothing will go missing.

If you tweak the DNS records to have TTL's of an hour a few days before you move them, you can change thier location in an hour late at night and nothing will go missing.
    Could you elaborate on that?

Could you elaborate on that?

TTL is "Time to Live" for DNS records, the lower the number, the quicker nameservers will pick up your changes in IP. So before you do a major move, go to your DNS settings whether at your registrar or your old host and change the TTL settings to a low number. That way, DNS servers will be quicker to pick up DNS changes and your new IP address.

Exactly... normal DNS TTL settings are 24-48 hours. That means that the DNS severs around the world get a new copy of your DNS records every 24-48 hours. If you shorten the TTL, they will get a new copy sooner. So, the idea is to set it down to an hour TTL, at least the current TTL interval (24-48 hours) before you plan any moves. I usually shoot for 72 hours if possible. That means that all DNS servers around the world will have retrieved a copy of a DNS record that says "fetch a new DNS record in one hour". If you move the site, you are guaranteed that the customer will get a new DNS recod with the latest (new) IP within an hour of your move.

So, there's only a one hour window of opportunity when the customers email could possibly go to the wrong location. If you akle the move at 2AM, you can almost guarnatee no email will go wrong. Likewise for calls to the web site, but you can copy that over ahead of time (before the site move) unless there are databases involved.

Unless of course you were looking for elaboration on another point... then post again :-0