Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: NEED ADVICE

  1. #1

    NEED ADVICE

    Hello,
    I'm new to servers. What i intend to do is to create a website. Total content size will be limited to 200kb. It will be mostly flash content. I'm estimating that 5000 users will enter my site in a period of half an hour. My users will be from Malaysia. (That's where i'm from..) Also, i intend to enable FLV streaming in the near future. Video size will be limited to 1mb. What i would like to know is which service would you recommend me for that kind of requirements? Should i opt for local servers or offshore ones? So far i know that local servers in Malaysia can only promise 2Mbits/sec on a dedicated line..sigh..Can a a webhost do the trick??

    thanks for your replies in advance!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Hello,
    I'm estimating that 5000 users will enter my site in a period of half an hour. My users will be from Malaysia.
    Its very difficult to generate that amount of traffic on new site within 30 minutes as usually it take alot more. But if you have the established sources and you are sure its going to drive this much traffic then dedicated box in US will be more viable option considering cost factors.
    what is your monthly budget ?
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageLeet View Post
    Its very difficult to generate that amount of traffic on new site within 30 minutes as usually it take alot more. But if you have the established sources and you are sure its going to drive this much traffic then dedicated box in US will be more viable option considering cost factors.
    what is your monthly budget ?
    I'm certain i'll get that amount of traffic, if not more. My monthly budget is around 300USD a month. Thank you for your reply

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    447
    Yeah, you'll get much more bang for your buck outside Malaysia. Make a list of dedicated server providers, and try doing a ping test to see which ones are the fastest to Malaysia.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    For Malaysia you could also look to Singapore or Hong Kong for your servers, however US will probably give you great quality for a small price.

    Trafic does need to travel a bit further though, this is not necessarily a big issue, but TMnet does not have the greatest links to the US If you do not mind your traffic to slow down from time to time (holiday seasons, earth quakes and so on) an US host will do fine.

    I believe you can get more as 2mbit on your servers, also local traffic in M'sia is cheaper as international traffic, ask your Data center about it.

    I wish you all the best in making a good choice for your hosting.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    Yeah, you'll get much more bang for your buck outside Malaysia. Make a list of dedicated server providers, and try doing a ping test to see which ones are the fastest to Malaysia.
    Thanks for the input. Any providers you can suggest to me for me to start with?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    For Malaysia you could also look to Singapore or Hong Kong for your servers, however US will probably give you great quality for a small price.

    Trafic does need to travel a bit further though, this is not necessarily a big issue, but TMnet does not have the greatest links to the US If you do not mind your traffic to slow down from time to time (holiday seasons, earth quakes and so on) an US host will do fine.

    I believe you can get more as 2mbit on your servers, also local traffic in M'sia is cheaper as international traffic, ask your Data center about it.

    I wish you all the best in making a good choice for your hosting.
    Any suggestions for good servers in US?
    What do you mean by get more than 2mbit and cheaper traffic?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •