What no one told me about reselling

Well no one could give me a reply to these questions. Hope someone would help me.

1. When I take a reseller package, I get my own DNS name. How can I offer the same feature for a client if he asks for his own DNS name? They often want to become resellers too.

2. Although a reseller gets his own DNS name, I can still tracert to his host. Well in most cases. How can I block this so when someone wants to tracert my client's or my site, he doesn't reach my host but me? I assume I have to ask my host to enable a certain feature, but I don't know what to ask.

That's it

You can just point ns1.customer.com and ns2.customer.com at the IP's provided to you for your own DNS.

1. You would have to find a provider that allows resellers to create resellers. There aren't a lot of them.

2. Have your provider set up rDNS (reverse DNS) for you.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    1. You would have to find a provider that allows resellers to create resellers. There aren't a lot of them.

Absouletly spot on as usual.

Although I want to add that master reseller accounts are hugely unreliable in my experience and you'd be best off taking advantage of whatever affiliate program your host has and refering those customers to them and making some money as well.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post

Thanks. Also I don't know about rDNS. I'd have to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    ...want to add that master reseller accounts are hugely unreliable in my experience ...
    Why do you say they're unreliable? How can they be more unreliable than the regular reseller ones?

Quote Originally Posted by torentash View Post
    Thanks. Also I don't know about rDNS. I'd have to ask them.
    Exactly. That's why I gave it to you like that. Just contact them and say, "Please set up rDNS for example.com on 12345.67.890." and you'll sound like a pro.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

How can they be more unreliable than the regular reseller ones?
    They can, especially when the provider doesn't put some kinds of limits, to ensure that the server will remain properly loaded in the long run. Accounts over accounts can pile up in time, and moving them around should be the exception rather than the rule.

Many of these providers are relatively small with a couple of servers. Small providers are great to get friendly with and get that extra mile of service, but they're also more prone to being heavily affected by one partner's offline life issues (think health issues etc), and tend to have reduced financial capabilities. Not to mention that they tend to be rather new in the business. Today's poor business model might only prove to be so in a year's time, and the result would be a lot of aggravation for everyone involved.

While I'm not personally a big fan of the idea of VPS (especially entry level ones) as a hosting platform, I'd rather use a VPS to sell reseller accounts, than a "Master reseller account". But that's just me of course.