Thread: eCommerce help

eCommerce help

hello all
    i am a beginner well i know most basics and i want to get a eCommerce website up and running. i want to know the running costs of which include the domain + hosting, ssl certificate and other things i may need. i need help in installing a eCommerce script of which i am looking at Cube Cart or oScommerce. please let me know the steps in to doing this and the costs of doing so.
    thanks
    dreadmanuk

Welcome deadmanuk!

How much you pay can vary tremendously so there's no one easy answer.

Domains - you can pay anything from about 4 a year upwards, typically a co.uk name will cost you 5-10/year

Hosting - for a typical small shop I'd be looking to pay at least 5/month for something decent. The main thing to look for with hosting is support, if your site is down you need to know it will be back up pronto!

SSL certs - lots of variations in pricing here but if you budget 100/year that should cover it for a typical shop.

Any web developer can help ytou install a cart, the cart developers usually also offer this service as well. IMHO OSCommerce is a bit old hat (it hasn't been updated in years) and if something goes wrong with it you've got to sort it out yourself. Same goes for the free version of Cubecart though if you have the better commercial version the developers will sort any software problems for you.

thanks for the quick reply, i mean like its not a 1st hand shop...its just a shop to redirect my customers i have on ebay and amazon to it to view products. i am not wishing to make it to a full time business on ecommerce, so im looking for a very minimal and cheap system as long as it is secure and decent.

as for the certificate, i am going to install paypal checkout and credit card payment, but for that i will need a minimal certificate with not too much security.

let me know
    thanks
    dreadmanuk

You could probably just use Yahoo shops.

Or you can get hosting for as low as $10 per year (www.netfirms.com/max). And I think GoDaddy offers SSL certificates for as low as $15.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Check out Affordable Hoster and ask for Pete. Whatever you do, don't tell him I sent you - he will probably quadruple your fees

And check out my response on need miva hosting and merchant account regarding merchant accounts.
    Last edited by Corey Bryant; 03-17-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Adding the other link

Quote Originally Posted by dreadmanuk View Post
    ...its just a shop to redirect my customers i have on ebay and amazon to it to view products. i am not wishing to make it to a full time business on ecommerce, so im looking for a very minimal and cheap system as long as it is secure and decent.
    I use a zencart to do exactly that. With shared hosting, and a SSL certificate, the website in my link below costs roughly $20/month. I use Paypal for the credit card processing as the site is still new and only has an occasional buyer. Works very well, although of course nowhere near the traffic of ebay. But you can list thousands of things for the $20 a month. Zencart's SEO (search engine optimization) is excellent. Listings appear in Google very quickly.

And of course, the idea is to get them off ebay and into the store, where there is only the paypal 2.9% fee. (and you can't get negged!)

The negative is that shared webhosting can sometimes be sluggish, as your site is sharing a computer with possibly hundreds of other websites. When the site (hopefully) gets busy I will eventually have to upgrade to a VPS, which is much more expensive than shared hosting. Also zencart has so many features it takes a while to wrap your head around it.
    ------------
    Tim

i'm new here and wish to start up ecommerce website as well, anymore recommendations on how i can source for reliable provider?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopili View Post
    i'm new here and wish to start up ecommerce website as well, anymore recommendations on how i can source for reliable provider?
    What did Pete quote you?